Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Picked this up for what I thought was small money (270 sound ok to the rest of you?)
    Only thing wrong is it needs a battery for the electric starter to work but starts fine from a pull start.
    Going to convert it into a scraper

Oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Picked this up for what I thought was small money (270 sound ok to the rest of you?)
    Only thing wrong is it needs a battery for the electric starter to work but starts fine from a pull start.
    Going to convert it into a scraper
    Is she running?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Yeah running grand

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

Is there a 3 point linkage on her ? you could also weld up a light scrapper onto the front of it her aswell.

SCOL wrote: »
    Is there a 3 point linkage on her ? you could also weld up a light scrapper onto the front of it her aswell.

no linkage. scraper will go on the front

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭greenpetrol

no linkage. scraper will go on the front

Get a 12volt winch to lift the scraper up and down save a lot of messing trying to engineer levering you will be amazed with the pushing power ! hydrostatic would be a better job I found it brutal slow esp on reverse ! If you have an eager young lad he would love the job driving it ! Without the blades it should be safe enough ?

Thanks! I might explore that idea a bit more

I had to take the steering wheel of my old tractor to get access to the power steering pipes that are leaking. Wasted a lot of time pulling and tapping it with a hammer. No good. Went away and bought a bearing puller and it slipped it off, no bother. Easy do a job when you have the right tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

I had to take the steering wheel of my old tractor to get access to the power steering pipes that are leaking. Wasted a lot of time pulling and tapping it with a hammer. No good. Went away and bought a bearing puller and it slipped it off, no bother. Easy do a job when you have the right tools.
    Any pictures? Never seen/ heard of it.

• Advertisement

farmerjj wrote: »
    Any pictures? Never seen/ heard of it.

One of these 3-legged types. You can flip it around, so it will work with jaws facing either in or out.

list_56177_N136_3LEG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Something very satisfying about a well hung gate. Awkward one because there was a solid sheet of rock under the hanging post and those gates are awful heavy so had to be hilti bolted down to the rock. Fine looking job now after building up the wall! 6D858FBB-B0CA-42D8-B577-7B5E25D5B478_zpszjwlejkg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Would a BigM mower have a bit of bother turning into that?

Lovely job, nice to see the older style flat and twist steel gate instead of the usual tubular steel ones we see everywhere. Was it much more expensive? Any particular reason for using it?

Odelay wrote: »
    Would a BigM mower have a bit of bother turning into that?

Lovely job, nice to see the older style flat and twist steel gate instead of the usual tubular steel ones we see everywhere. Was it much more expensive? Any particular reason for using it?
    Be no big m going in there :). They are 50% funded through the burren scheme if you want to put them up and work out about the same price as a normal gate. Put that up for another fella but put up a couple myself a few years back and 10ft gate with hanging and closing pillars was €230 I think. If you hang it wrong they will make you do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Be no big m going in there :). They are 50% funded through the burren scheme if you want to put them up and work out about the same price as a normal gate. Put that up for another fella but put up a couple myself a few years back and 10ft gate with hanging and closing pillars was €230 I think. If you hang it wrong they will make you do it again!

Where can the gates be bought?

• Advertisement

apart from the twist ( which can be done with a bit of heat ) they look handy to make.

rushvalley wrote: »
    Where can the gates be bought?

Few different fellas making them. http://burrenlife.com/portfolio-items/traditional-burren-gate-designs/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Are they riveting the mortise and tenon at the end of the cross bars? I see they rivet the middle bars. I bet they're heavy.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I really like these kind of gates. a bit expensive for a field gate but they look well. You might know this one Limestone Cowboy. Pic taken near Muckinish.

I really like these kind of gates. a bit expensive for a field gate but they look well. You might know this one Limestone Cowboy. Pic taken near Muckinish.

Ya, often stacked straw in that shed!

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Are they riveting the mortise and tenon at the end of the cross bars? I see they rivet the middle bars. I bet they're heavy.

They are just welded blue even on the cross bars. Only looks like they are riveted.

They are just welded blue even on the cross bars. Only looks like they are riveted.

Ya it would be hard to galvanize between the bars, then they'd rust in between the bars and stain it all, are they dear?

Some guntering inspiration here.

http://305insider.com/who-wouldnt-want-a-motorized-coffee-table-built-out-of-a-v12-engine/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Love those gates, hence why we got one made up out of a couple of the old family gates. They weigh a feckin' tonne though!

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ya it would be hard to galvanize between the bars, then they'd rust in between the bars and stain it all, are they dear?

Some guntering inspiration here.

http://305insider.com/who-wouldnt-want-a-motorized-coffee-table-built-out-of-a-v12-engine/
    170 for a 10 foot and 30 each for the pillars. Not sure on the price of a 12ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Made this for a neighbour

Nice work. Were the pillars there already? They look like cut stone or were they cast?

Nice work. Were the pillars there already? They look like cut stone or were they cast?
    no he got them from his land where there was an old railway , lovely pillars they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

no he got them from his land where there was an old railway , lovely pillars they are

Lovely job, fair play, those pillars look like granite, they would be worth a bit. I hope there's another gate for that Same in the background to get out. :D

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Lovely job, fair play, those pillars look like granite, they would be worth a bit. I hope there's another gate for that Same in the background to get out. :D
    😂😂 ya that's just his entrance between house and farm , it's a beast of a same alright , 190 iron horn , yep there granite posts , I'd say very hard to get now

That's a nice gate, did you bend the steel yourself it so how did you do it ? also the uprights on the bottom of the gate did you buy them with that design or make them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I think yourself and limestone don't qualify for the guntering thread with that work. Thats not guntering, its brilliant workmanship.

This is guntering. Calves getting to big to go through the creep gate needs a baler twine type solution....

Tiq5dzD.jpg?1

Kovu wrote: »
    Love those gates, hence why we got one made up out of a couple of the old family gates. They weigh a feckin' tonne though!

Is it just me or do other people think the Galvanize ruins the traditional look of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Is it just me or do other people think the Galvanize ruins the traditional look of them?

there's not many jobs worse than painting gates

The old ones were made of wrought iron, it doesn't rust like modern mild steel does. That's why they have to be galvanized, it's either that or paint the modern steel. It will be interesting to see how long they last.

ganmo wrote: »
    there's not many jobs worse than painting gates

You haven't picked enough stones

That's a nice gate, did you bend the steel yourself it so how did you do it ? also the uprights on the bottom of the gate did you buy them with that design or make them ?

Ya I made everything , I rolled the flat , and the uprights I rounded the top with 4 inch grinder , the notches on the sides I offset the punch machine just to take a bit out of it ,

Sorta agree. Ours is wrought iron and will probably still be here when I'm gone!

Sorta agree. Ours is wrought iron and will probably still be here when I'm gone!
    U can still get it , pretty expensive though , the college in Tralee got them made that way , gates cost 19k and after a year they painted them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

You haven't picked enough stones
    Picking spuds and the bog come to mind too. Covering silage pits too when you are working for a contractor. One is grand, one a day can be torture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Ya I made everything , I rolled the flat , and the uprights I rounded the top with 4 inch grinder , the notches on the sides I offset the punch machine just to take a bit out of it ,

Is the curve created by just heating and bending around pins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

one of these and you'd never leave the shed

delaney001 wrote: »
    Is the curve created by just heating and bending around pins?
    no heat involved , rolled around

What's the best way to roll the flat ? can it be done by hand ?

What's the best way to roll the flat ? can it be done by hand ?
    Ya if u have a jig for it

Has anyone made a jig for bending ? or is it better to buy one ? any know where to buy one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

As we're on the subject of gates does anyone have or have ye ever seen a gate that both hinges and latches on both ends? I think the latches also serve as the hinges with some type of lever to lift the pins to open the gate. I'm looking for a pattern as it might satisfy my neighbours particular situation.
    Gate is closing off a calving house and swinging in one direction blocks a passage funnelling the animals into the house. Opening in the other direction allows the tractor access for cleaning.

As we're on the subject of gates does anyone have or have ye ever seen a gate that both hinges and latches on both ends? I think the latches also serve as the hinges with some type of lever to lift the pins to open the gate. I'm looking for a pattern as it might satisfy my neighbours particular situation.
    Gate is closing off a calving house and swinging in one direction blocks a passage funnelling the animals into the house. Opening in the other direction allows the tractor access for cleaning.

What about a gate that is tied/latched in the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

What about a gate that is tied/latched in the middle?

Thats 2 gates😆

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

What you are describing sounds like you're looking for a scaled up version of a crush panel. I have them in my crush and they came from conden engineering. They hinge and can open on both sides.

http://www.condonengineering.ie/crushes/crush-races/

• Advertisement
Advertisement