Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

A load of sheeting for the roof of the workshop landed here this morning.

What screws are best for attaching 0.6mm corrugated to timber??
    Would I be better pre-drilling holes, or using tek screws?
    Or a hammer and a punch before screwing??
    Also would I be right in thinking the screws are to be applied into the heights of the corrugated and not the dips??

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

TheFarrier wrote: »

Also would I be right in thinking the screws are to be applied into the heights of the corrugated and not the dips??

Thanks in advance

Tek screws best job. For roof go through the highest part of the cladding not in the valley of it. Also don't overtighten the screws as you might damage the rubber washer on it

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

I always put the screws ( the one's with the rubber washer ) on the bottom of the valley.

SCOL wrote: »
    I always put the screws ( the one's with the rubber washer ) on the bottom of the valley.

Did that here and the roof leaked ever since all over shed done opposite and never a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Reggie. wrote: »
    Tek screws best job. For roof go through the highest part of the cladding not in the valley of it. Also don't overtighten the screws as you might damage the rubber washer on it

Thanks for the swift replies.

I've had a few lads telling me the last few days that I can expect condensation to drip from the clearlite panels in frosty weather.

They all said to put a clear plastic sheet under them, but none of them could advise what I could use for this, or where I could get it.

Any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I was told

You tex screw the valley in box profile.
    And the top of the curve in corrigation

Never had an issue here with either done like that

I've had a few lads telling me the last few days that I can expect condensation to drip from the clearlite panels in frosty weather.

They all said to put a clear plastic sheet under them, but none of them could advise what I could use for this, or where I could get it.

Any ideas??

Any ideas??

Never had condensation problems with clear sheeting once the pitch of the roof was at a good enough angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Never had condensation problems with clear sheeting once the pitch of the roof was at a good enough angle

I don't use clear sheeting here. Straight sheeting only. No danger when roofing. Or leaks. And they discolour after a few years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks in advance

Tell them at store that you are screwing into timber as there is a coarser thread on these tek screws than for tapping into steel.

You will have to drill hole in galvanise l would think.

• Advertisement

What's the best angle as I'm working on a lean to at the back of my garage.

I was thinking 2/3 feet over a 18/20 foot length I'm going 6 lengths of box section
    with 3 clear sheets. using 6 x 3 1/2 inch RSJ's for the uprights one bay wide using the
    steel beams at 6 meters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Tex screws are the job, you may need to put a small dent/hole in the sheeting to stop the tex screw from wandering off while you get it started. Always have done it on the ridge of the sheet and never an issue. Even a dot of Tec 7 would help if you need to be certain of a good seal, never silicone it will rust the galvanise over time. We put a white roofing Tyvek membrane under our sheeting to stop drops in frosty weather just in case. Nothing worse then get a cold drop down the back of you neck on a nice frosty morning when it starts to thaw!

I don't use clear sheeting here. Straight sheeting only. No danger when roofing. Or leaks. And they discolour after a few years anyway.

The new ones don't discolour at all I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

I'd be putting in a steel mesh under any clear sheets in any new sheds as well and retro-fitting any older sheds to prevent a possible fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

raypallas wrote: »
    I'd be putting in a steel mesh under any clear sheets in any new sheds as well and retro-fitting any older sheds to prevent a possible fall.

At the ploughing this year saw a stand where they had lengths of 3/4" or so galvanised rebar slotted under the clear sheets. They had 3" or so bent back at the top to stop them slipping down. Very simple solution and easily retrofitted.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

At the ploughing this year saw a stand where they had lengths of 3/4" or so galvanised rebar slotted under the clear sheets. They had 3" or so bent back at the top to stop them slipping down. Very simple solution and easily retrofitted.

Ah should have patented it few yrs back.:D:D

Hardly guntering, but some serious skill all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

properly gunther'd power hammer for making the above ^^^^^^^^^

I upgraded my welder old welder to an 200AMP Inverted Welder a cheap Chinese one for £99 stg.

I made a step that will bolt onto the toe bar. The photo's are a bit poor quality.

SCOL wrote: »
    I upgraded my welder old welder to an 200AMP Inverted Welder a cheap Chinese one for £99 stg.

I made a step that will bolt onto the toe bar. The photo's are a bit poor quality.

Nice job, but will you leave it on going along the road? You know that question when you apply for insurance - Have you modified the vehicle in any way?

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm going to bolt it on and off every time the kids get into it !!! I might need to make a bracket for holding
    the spanner.

I could have bought a "Land Rover" one for €250 ish

So it's kind of a loading ramp for kids? :cool:

Or an extended bumper for when the wife is driving !!!

Just make sure to stick a oul rag in their gob before you racket strap them down or you won't be able to hear the radio!! :D

I done that to the wife last night !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Very low level guntering, but was cutting a hedge on Friday, between the pi55ing rain and chopped leaves you could hardly see out the side window.
    This magnetic window cleaner works quite well, and was only a few euro in a Discount shop.

uefsc0h.jpg

Does moving the inside one move the outside bit? Good idea!

Muckit wrote: »
    Does moving the inside one move the outside bit? Good idea!

Yeah like a fish tank cleaner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Very low level guntering, but was cutting a hedge on Friday, between the pi55ing rain and chopped leaves you could hardly see out the side window.
    This magnetic window cleaner works quite well, and was only a few euro in a Discount shop.

uefsc0h.jpg

what kind of tractor is that?

mengele wrote: »
    what kind of tractor is that?

Fiat

• Advertisement

Fiat

SAME Leopard 85. About 1983 ish.

Those cleaning yokes are marketed for cleaning the outside of upstairs windows.

SAME Leopard 85. About 1983 ish.

Dammit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Im looking for help /advice please .
    We are using round feeders for silage at the moment. I would like so as that one doesn't have to jump down form the tractor to lift & reset the round feeder, which can be tough when its raining & wind is howling.
    I saw one company selling an arm that attaches to the bale handler which lifts the Round Feeder & resets it , all done from the tractor. As I dont have a budget for the 13/ 1400 e mentioned I would like to make one ourselves .
    Has any one solved this issue & can you please send me a diagram or photo . It would be much appreciated . Regards
    Track 9

Track9 wrote: »
    Im looking for help /advice please .
    We are using round feeders for silage at the moment. I would like so as that one doesn't have to jump down form the tractor to lift & reset the round feeder, which can be tough when its raining & wind is howling.
    I saw one company selling an arm that attaches to the bale handler which lifts the Round Feeder & resets it , all done from the tractor. As I dont have a budget for the 13/ 1400 e mentioned I would like to make one ourselves .
    Has any one solved this issue & can you please send me a diagram or photo . It would be much appreciated . Regards
    Track 9

Are you feeding with a front end loader, and if so, are you using just a spike, or a grab on the loader?

Unfortunately we dont have a Front Loader .We have a two wheel drive Massey.
    All feeding work done with Handler ( usually ) or Bale Spike operated from three point linkage.
    The Arm thing I saw on demonstration attaches to the Bale Handler .

You could make something similar for about 200, and a second hand ram, I would think.

Or how about this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/massey-80-power-loader-with-bucket-amp-brackets/15041649

Yes with the right man on the job im sure its possible.
    This is why im asking if any one made such a lift arm & hoping to get some rough diagrams or photos .
    Im sure theres others who have the same problem ev time they go to fill the round feeder using the three point linkage .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

uefsc0h.jpg

What shop did you get the window wizard in?thanks

Got it in Dealz, but Woodies, Mr Price and Homebase etc all sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

New shed going up here and I see something very clever under the clear roof sheets

The rods hook over the top of the first timber and run down along the 'peak' of sheet. Don't know would it Stop your foot going through but you definitely wouldn't fit through.

For those of us who think we can weld; :D

For those of us who think we can weld; :D

Savage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Has anyone tried electrolysis for removing rust? I tried giving it a go on a small scale.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue5th/sets/72157687454363101

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Thepillowman

Haven't used electrolysis but if you are not in a hurry molasses and water (9 parts water 1 part molasses) soak for 24hrs rinse off and give it a rub of a stiff brush .Repeat if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

^Watched an interesting video on rust removal a while back, see below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCuQquR-rzo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

Hi all, just wondering has anyone converted a yard scraper to a euro hitch for front loader
    The thing is I also need it on the 3 point linkage
    Any pics would be helpful

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

jd06 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering has anyone converted a yard scraper to a euro hitch for front loader
    The thing is I also need it on the 3 point linkage
    Any pics would be helpful
    my yard scraper fits on the bale spike easy to throw and off and back weight fits spikes as well

Weld euro brackets on the back of the scraper, so you can use either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

A neighbour of ours put euro brackets on all the forks, scrapers, weights and buckets etc.. made a euro bracket adaptor for 3 point linkage on hydraulic toplink.. so they can fit on front or back of the tractor.. he uses the weight to drive stakes!

A mate of mine built this yard scraper. Handiest thing ever! Hydrostatic greens mower that had had it's cylinder mowers scrapped.
    He can run down the sides of the parlour, scrape the collecting yard and do all the slats in minutes.
    Turns in its own length.
    3 cylinder Yanmar diesel 20hp engine. He got the scraper made and galvanized and that cost almost half of the price of the mower!

ieWL3OM.jpg

C0QoGvd.jpg

CRajFvf.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement