Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

pedigree 6. did you weld it vertically on the tractor? some welding if you did

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nice bit of welding there P6, and no traces of a bolt buried in the big hole!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Reggie. wrote: »
    That's where I learned to weld
    Me and all .
    I'm thinking about buying a mig welder though for smaller metal, but have never used one . I wonder if the fact that I'm able to arc weld (kind of) be enough to buy and learn or should I do another course ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

That's where I learned to weld

Twas in the FAS centre in moneenaguisha in Galway City that l did mine.

I thought you would have done an apprenticeship through the army or are those days gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

f140 wrote: »
    pedigree 6. did you weld it vertically on the tractor? some welding if you did

Yea vertical.
    I got an inverter welder now and very good adjustment on it now to suit the metal.
    Also use vapormatic rods. Very good.

• Advertisement

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Yea vertical.
    I got an inverter welder now and very good adjustment on it now to suit the metal.
    Also use vapormatic rods. Very good.
    are you able to run the welder constant until the rod is used with the vertical welding or was there a lot of stop/staring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    Twas in the FAS centre in moneenaguisha in Galway City that l did mine.

I thought you would have done an apprenticeship through the army or are those days gone?

Them days are pretty much gone now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

are you able to run the welder constant until the rod is used with the vertical welding or was there a lot of stop/staring?

Yea constant. The piece was vertical but the weld was going sideways.
    Trickier doing up down weld on a vertical piece (if you know what I mean).
    Some good vids on YouTube now.
    God I might get a job out of all this.:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EJ88

O.A.P wrote: »
    Me and all .
    I'm thinking about buying a mig welder though for smaller metal, but have never used one . I wonder if the fact that I'm able to arc weld (kind of) be enough to buy and learn or should I do another course ?

Mig was the easiest type of welding I learned. It's basically set up your welder and keep the hand speed steady. Ever since I bought a Mig, the stick welder gathers dust.

anyone ever make a log splitter. I have an old ram off a shear grab and was half thinking of making one in the winter.

• Advertisement

anyone ever make a log splitter. I have an old ram off a shear grab and was half thinking of making one in the winter.

Not a good idea unless you can certify your welding

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭queueeye

Made one using screen grab from donedeal as a pattern. Shear grab ram, works a treat. Measure twice and cut once, be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Vertical or horizontal? We made one years ago of a light girder as a frame,welded on a 3 point linkage and set up the ram with the controls of a old teleporter

And they are all sitting up idle now. You still have to handball them on and off them. And ttactor ticking over the whole time. Could never see a use for them.

You'll split biggest of them tipping around the edges. Use a chainsaw to put a few nicks on troublesome ones then good maul or sledge and steel wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭queueeye

And they are all sitting up idle now. You still have to handball them on and off them. And ttactor ticking over the whole time. Could never see a use for them.

You'll split biggest of them tipping around the edges. Use a chainsaw to put a few nicks on troublesome ones then good maul or sledge and steel wedge.

Idle now yes. But then I don't use it during the summer. If I'm to follow your rationale should I flog the combine too and go back to the scythe?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

IH784man wrote: »
    Vertical or horizontal? We made one years ago of a light girder as a frame,welded on a 3 point linkage and set up the ram with the controls of a old teleporter

I think the horizontal seem to be a better job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

The parents house and sisters house are fully heated with solid fuel and I just have a stove in the sitting room , I can cut with tractor saw and split with the splitter for the lot in a few whiles of days . I wouldn't like to be tipping with the chainsaw and hatchet .
    If I get nice timber I do an hour or so with the hatchet alright just to keep my eye in as they say !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have the cylinder and I-beams already so only need the valve, 2 hoses and a few hours welding to finish. Whenever I get the free time.
    Ideally you should have a separate pressure relief on the splitter, two hand operation and the cylinder should only move when the valve is operated. Safety first and all that.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

queueeye wrote: »
    Idle now yes. But then I don't use it during the summer. If I'm to follow your rationale should I flog the combine too and go back to the scythe?

No silly. Get a contractor. Look at all the shed space you'd save!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭9935452

Not a good idea unless you can certify your welding

Out of curiosity why would you say that.

• Advertisement

I suppose for fear someone got a ram in the face!

9935452 wrote: »

If something went wrong no farm insurance will cover ya. All welding now has to be certified aswell for insurance. Plus on the negative side there is slot of pressure on the ram when it's pushing through a block in fairness.

I have a homemade one. I made the pieces but got the welding done by a professional. At the end it was feck all cheaper than a bought one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The nanny state rides again. Sure we might as well sell the welders and grinders so. Make it an offence to own a welder without a certificate of competence. More H&S bureaucracy keeping people in cushy jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

H&S is s joke until someone gets seriously injured or killed. But sure we know that doesn't happen on Irish farms.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭9935452

If something went wrong no farm insurance will cover ya. All welding now has to be certified aswell for insurance. Plus on the negative side there is slot of pressure on the ram when it's pushing through a block in fairness.

I have a homemade one. I made the pieces but got the welding done by a professional. At the end it was feck all cheaper than a bought one.

What about all the welding that was done in the past. Repairs and home made machinery. Do we need to dump all of it or get it certified.
    The reason I ask is we have a good share or home made machinery at home which by and large is stronger than what is available on the market.
    One of which is a logsplitter.

What about all the welding that was done in the past. Repairs and home made machinery. Do we need to dump all of it or get it certified.
    The reason I ask is we have a good share or home made machinery at home which by and large is stronger than what is available on the market.

If something happens insurance will ask who made the machine or who repaired it. Only right in fairness once lives are spared. I'm on about critical repairs or load bearing items

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

One I made a few years ago, 20 tonne ram,

Snapchat-864864861208394603.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just don't post pictures to the 'net of anything more complex than the "spud" of a gate.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Odelay

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Just don't post pictures to the 'net of anything more complex than the "spud" of a gate.......

A welded spud?? Are you joking? Serious trip hazard there:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

O.A.P wrote: »
    Me and all .

90% of the work with MIG is setting up the machine, getting your voltages and feed speed correct, the rest is point and click.
    Do your research before buying one though, there's an awful lot of shyte out there.

Advertisement