Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Try phoning whoever drilled it, might know how to go about it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

We pulled ours up 150ft there 2years ago. Unfortunately its just pure donkey work, 2of us just pulled the pump up just using the rope, now it was simple enough its just the weight that killed us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Got the pump up around 8.00. Intake clogged with rust and soft black crap. Was talking to a few lads in the coop this evening and one of them had pulled up a pump recently. He used an old trailer axle with a super single rim on it. He then mounted this on the pallet forks on a loader. He removed a sheet off the pumphouse roof and perched the rim over the well.
    I got hold of an old artic axle and a rim from my contractor and did the same and pulled pipe cable and rope in one go with the tractor.
    2 lads would never pull this pump up by hand. We were getting the pipe set up for putting it back down and the pipe was like lead as it was full of water.
    Ill probably gunter something together at some stage to replace the axle and rim that could be mounted on the pallet forks. Still it got me out of a spot today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

That sounds ingenious. You hardly took a picture of the setup did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Figerty

If it's that tight, can you pull a tipping trailer over it.
    Tie the rope to the pipe and to the top of the trailer.
    Then tip up the trailer to pull the rope up...
    Lock the rope in place to stop the pipe dropping, drop the trailer, and then move up again.
    Kind of like a ratchet.. You would bring it up about 10 foot at time... repeat 34 times!!!:)

At least you will have hydraulic power pulling it up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You could use a Post driver too. Disconnect the weight and fix the rope end to the pipe and lift slowly. Repeat 34 times.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Jigsaw puzzle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

That sounds ingenious. You hardly took a picture of the setup did you?

Sorry for late reply. Took a pic this morning before i finished. Nothing fancy. Pump replaced last night. Had a lad helping me and didn't want to be seen fooling around taking fotos!
    I had to fit new pump as the old one was totally clogged with rust. Some of the segments were worn. The hexagonal shaft had rounded the centres as well so not fit to go back down the hole. €550 for a new Pedrolla 1.5hp. I got 12 years out of the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Something I've been meaning to do for ages. I was fed up removing the loader every time I wanted to use the rear spools.

The couplers were old and leaking and needed to be replaced so I got 2 shut off taps along with the new couplers.

28722355854_13fa6e9f39_z.jpg

29058120390_e0df0ae025_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

emaherx wrote: »
    Something I've been meaning to do for ages..

Do you know you can get screw on hydraulic fittings that can be opened and closed numerous times without damaging the sealing. Basically they have an o-ring seal parallel face that provides the seal. The thread is parallel too, so when you tighten it, there is s definite dead stop, not like a tapered thread. Have only seen them on industrial machines but are guaranteed not to leak.
    Not a great fan of the quick release fittings myself. They always seem to be leaking.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Do you know you can get screw on hydraulic fittings that can be opened and closed numerous times without damaging the sealing. Basically they have an o-ring seal parallel face that provides the seal. The thread is parallel too, so when you tighten it, there is s definite dead stop, not like a tapered thread. Have only seen them on industrial machines but are guaranteed not to leak.
    Not a great fan of the quick release fittings myself. They always seem to be leaking.

I'm aware of a few different types, but the standard quick release couplers are good for about 10 years. Won't be opening them too often in future hopefully.

Bit of a water shortage in one of our fields led to a very guntered makeshift water bowser, the tank is a little small but will be replaced with a couple of IBC's later in the week.

29266582251_ae368631d3_z.jpg

29266583371_8a869835a0_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Slightly off topic but Home Store and More have some good offers on bits and pieces this month that are handy around the farm. Nails, hinges, silicon etc.....

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/icat/spediyacc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

TheBody wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but Home Store and More are have some good offers on bits and pieces that are handy around the farm this month. Nails, hinges, silicon etc.....

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/icat/spediyacc
    ...also Lidl are selling submersible pumps at 24, bought one today to stick into an IBC to try and gunter up some form of system to wash the sheep handling unit down at an outfarm rather than using the pto washer.

Not sure is this the best place to ask but i,v a gutter leaking it,s in the v of a small shed I,m planning on putting a 6" wavin pipe (cut down the middle) under the old gutter to catch the water but my problem is the connection between the wavin pipes I,m not sure what to use to stop the leaks at those connections anyone got any suggestions on what stuff to use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

farmerjj wrote: »
    Not sure is this the best place to ask but i,v a gutter leaking it,s in the v of a small shed I,m planning on putting a 6" wavin pipe (cut down the middle) under the old gutter to catch the water but my problem is the connection between the wavin pipes I,m not sure what to use to stop the leaks at those connections anyone got any suggestions on what stuff to use

tiger seal or any other sorta stuff that's used for sealing windscreens.
    You'll need something to brace the joint though.

would it not be easier to try and seal the leak in the original gutter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

+1, depending on the condition of the gutter.

Bituminous tape is good for sealing anything that's not under pressure.

Been absent here for a while so i thought i better reintroduce myself with the thread.
    5ft Turf bucket that I made last week.

Production pics

tiger seal or any other sorta stuff that's used for sealing windscreens.
    You'll need something to brace the joint though.

No there red rotten,been patching them for years, suppose tiger seal and then bolt them together that could work,thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Is there any way to join two pieces of plastic together and be strong enough to withstand a bit of pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

farmerjj wrote: »
    No there red rotten,been patching them for years, suppose tiger seal and then bolt them together that could work,thanks

why not use 6inch galvanise gutters

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Reggie. wrote:
    Been absent here for a while so i thought i better reintroduce myself with the thread. 5ft Turf bucket that I made last week.

A master at the guntering to be fair! Nice work. Will you paint it up?

raypallas wrote: »
    A master at the guntering to be fair! Nice work. Will you paint it up?

It was made for another boardsie and I think they are painting it atm. Have another to make when I have time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Reggie. wrote: »
    It was made for another boardsie and I think they are painting it atm. Have another to make when I have time

Very tasty job Reggie, was there muck figuring on getting the right roll back spot for the brackets or did you go off something else ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Very tasty job Reggie, was there muck figuring on getting the right roll back spot for the brackets or did you go off something else ?

Previous experience really and pure luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭148multi

farmerjj wrote:

Chemical weld, the type used for sealing white waste pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Flat battery and jump leads gone in other car.

mayota wrote: »
    Flat battery and jump leads gone in other car.

Stand well clear of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

diy 'Deere

Advertisement