Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Reggie. wrote: »
    How much?

34e I think, was on sale down from 50.

34e I think, was on sale down from 50.

That was including postage. https://www.agridirect.ie/product/roux-revolver-50ml-auto-syringe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have one for sheep. Mighty job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Never saw them before. Do they hold 50mls? Do the normal needles fit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Cavanjack wrote: »

You have to be careful using them, especially at the 2ml rate......if you have the syringe full and pull the trigger it just compresses the liquid and spews out when you take it out of the ewe, have one here, don't use it now for that reason. I'm probably going against bone/muscle with the needle when that happens and blocking it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭inthepit

rangler1 wrote: »
    You have to be careful using them, especially at the 2ml rate......if you have the syringe full and pull the trigger it just compresses the liquid and spews out when you take it out of the ewe, have one here, don't use it now for that reason. I'm probably going against bone/muscle with the needle when that happens and blocking it

A bubble of air in the barrel can cause problems in any type of automatic syringe because it will get compressed.You wouldn't even have to go into muscle to get enough resistance to have it spit when you take it out.

Cavanjack wrote: »

Ya to both. Friend has one and did my calves with me 2 months ago. 44 calves dosed with hook gun and done for blackleg in about 15 minutes. Serious job.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Ya to both. Friend has one and did my calves with me 2 months ago. 44 calves dosed with hook gun and done for blackleg in about 15 minutes. Serious job.

The hook gun is the only job for dosing cattle. Bought one a couple of years ago and honestly could not do without it now. The idea of trying to catch an animal now and dose with a normal dosing gun seems madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Parishlad wrote: »
    The hook gun is the only job for dosing cattle. Bought one a couple of years ago and honestly could not do without it now. The idea of trying to catch an animal now and dose with a normal dosing gun seems madness.

Was thinking of buying one of these alright. Just curious how do you dose a animal who say puts his head down on inside of crush against the wall for example and do their heads have to be up to dose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Sami23 wrote: »
    Was thinking of buying one of these alright. Just curious how do you dose a animal who say puts his head down on inside of crush against the wall for example and do their heads have to be up to dose ?

Yep, heads have to be up (same story if you were dosing with a normal dosing gun). Pack the crush as tight as you can and that will help. You will always get an awkward one that drops the head and there's no way round it but a few prods of a stick to get the head up again. Failing that, you just have to let a few out and catch the troublemaker in the head gate.
    In any case though the hook is the bees knees. Start at the back, reach out with hook before they realise you are there and you will catch most of them before they know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Parishlad wrote: »
    Yep, heads have to be up (same story if you were dosing with a normal dosing gun). Pack the crush as tight as you can and that will help. You will always get an awkward one that drops the head and there's no way round it but a few prods of a stick to get the head up again. Failing that, you just have to let a few out and catch the troublemaker in the head gate.
    In any case though the hook is the bees knees. Start at the back, reach out with hook before they realise you are there and you will catch most of them before they know it.

But when you go to put it in their mouth do they not just shake their head to avoid it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Magellan Murphy

But when you go to put it in their mouth do they not just shake their head to avoid it ?

Not everyone is in to that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

no they are dosed before they know it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Not everyone is in to that sort of thing.

Mine doesn't have a hook Mod snip Wha wha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This thread heading to After Hours...,,

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Bit of Guntering last night. Handiest way out of having to cut 45 degree angles......

ICb8yp3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Bit of Guntering last night. Handiest way out of having to cut 45 degree angles......

ICb8yp3.jpg

Considering that looks like a 3c mkII or mkIII, it's not really guntering it's the engineering that she deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Fine job. What's the sound like? Are those old pipes from a milking machine?

Sounds grand. Those Leyland engines always had a nice sound off them. Yeah, a bend from old vacuum line. The flange on the end was just the right diameter to match the hole in the silencer. The silencer looks like the last lad wrapped the original in heavy gauge sheet and welded it all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Sounds grand. Those Leyland engines always had a nice sound off them. Yeah, a bend from old vacuum line. The flange on the end was just the right diameter to match the hole in the silencer. The silencer looks like the last lad wrapped the original in heavy gauge sheet and welded it all round.
    Yeah i was just wondering how you got the weld on with the heavy pipe to a light silencer. Fairly heavy duty there now.
    Stick a whistle on the top there now so we can hear you coming.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have you 2 JCBs Neks?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Have you 2 JCBs Neks?

Yep, I have a 1989 3cx Sitemaster at home, have it nearly 20 years now, and that 3cMk2 on an out farm, about 8 miles away.
    I got it because driving the 3cx over and back is a pain, and its only for raising a bit of gravel, bit of ditching, digging post holes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

A small bit of Guntering over the weekend.

IMG_0493_zpssndel8ki.jpg

IMG_0492_zpsz653id0e.jpg

IMG_0491_zpso1gjuocn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is that your own place Sligoronan?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Sligoronan wrote: »
    A small bit of Guntering over the weekend.

Not really guntering now is it, looks like installation of new plastic cubicles......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

stock> wrote: »
    Not really guntering now is it, looks like installation of new plastic cubicles......

Top job if ya ask me. Did ya do any "guntering" of your own this weekend? Its very easy to shout down to others from the high stool.

Will they stay tight on a block wall? Looks super, a pity to dirty them!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Top job if ya ask me. Did ya do any "guntering" of your own this weekend? Its very easy to shout down to others from the high stool.

Yea did a bit on Saturday, fitted a 2liter rear wheel drive Corolla engine and gearbox to a landcruiser chassis and a suzuki transfer box to the cruiser axles.All to be topped off with a Jimny body.............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

stock> wrote: »
    Yea did a bit on Saturday, fitted a 2liter rear wheel drive Corolla engine and gearbox to a landcruiser chassis and a suzuki transfer box to the cruiser axles.All to be topped off with a Jimny body.............................

Pic....sounds Halloween-ish or Frankenstein-ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Pic....sounds Halloween-ish or Frankenstein-ish

Sounds more MAD MAX to me

Advertisement