Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Website C&C

• 17-06-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

After seeing some guys take the plunge and ask for c&c on a website i said i'd do the same. I was just wondering if you could possibly check it out for me and tell me what you all think.I've only uploaded some photo's that i haven't put a massive amount of attention into as i only wanted them there for placeholders more so than anything else.

Few things that maybe i should say first.

The website is flash based, but i've made it quick loading and used a user friendly template. I've been following some tips from previous sites.

It's still being worked on in my spare time, this is not the finished article.

I just want some constructive C&C please.

So what do you think then. I'll prob purchase an IE domain if the results/comments from here and others are good.

So could you all check this out please and give me your ideas. I suppose don't hold back if you don't like it let me know at least that way i can learn.

My new website

Thanks in advance guys

Regards
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hey stick-dan,

I just had a quick look through it and I really liked it.
    I like the quick load you have as sometimes my bb connection can be really slow to load up some pages but it flew through the site.
    Also I liked the way you gave a little info on each of the pics. A nice personal touch.

By the way loved the pic of the owl! Amazing capture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

Hi Dan

Had a look through your website and found it quite easy to navigate and first impressions is that you are not inundated with hundreds of photos.

Looks very impressive for your first attempt and would consider something like that style myself , as I am thinking of getting a lay mans version of a website that wont take rocket science to set up.

One little criticism i would have is in the "About Me" section, I found the font a little small for reading (and i have decent eyesight) it seems to be that the font blends in too much to the background.

Other than that congrats

John
    Waterford Too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

some of your photos that you took in portrait, show up in the preview as landscape so id probably look into that, and the aspect ratio of the previews stretch out your photos.

Only other problem i see but its a personal thing for me is i hate scrolling but if i have to do it i only want to scroll the page itself rather then the page and then preview box. Now i realize thats probably just me but there ya go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Nice job :) I'd agree with the scrolling though. I'm previewing on the laptop in 1024 x 768... Its a bit much to scroll on both the page and the box. Would you consider making your banner and nav bar smaller? They're using up a LOT of vertical space. I'd personally have that smaller and then bring the site up so that you're only scrolling within the flash site itself rather than the browser. Here are two (unfinished!) site's I've been working on (the one for me was just an assignment for college, hence all the bells and whistles - I've no intention of using it) that illustrates what I mean. The pictures are smaller than yours but that's just my template - you could work around it...

www.gigshots.ie/flash

www.karendonnellan.com

Also - would you consider putting a little small design element with a nice contrasting colour in? As you can see from my site, I love minimal and monochrome, but I think something is necessary in yours to just lift it a teensy bit.. something like the red detail on my main site - gigshots.ie

And yep - watch your preview images skewing!

You use a template or code yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Psst.. It's Dia duit, not guit :P Pronunciation is a bítch like that with gaeilge ;)

Nice site, quick too :) The one thing I'll say is, some of the images seem to look stretched/out of proportion, both in thumbnail and display size..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

jen_23 wrote: »
    Hey stick-dan,

I just had a quick look through it and I really liked it.
    I like the quick load you have as sometimes my bb connection can be really slow to load up some pages but it flew through the site.
    Also I liked the way you gave a little info on each of the pics. A nice personal touch.

By the way loved the pic of the owl! Amazing capture!

Thanks Jen, the main thing i wanted to do where so many other websites fail was to have it extremely quick loading and user friendly. I know all too well about being over-awed with flash presentations and all that malarkey but when used simply i think flash looks well. Glad you liked it, found it easy to load and that you liked my personal touch under each photo.
    Hi Dan

Had a look through your website and found it quite easy to navigate and first impressions is that you are not inundated with hundreds of photos.

Looks very impressive for your first attempt and would consider something like that style myself , as I am thinking of getting a lay mans version of a website that wont take rocket science to set up.

One little criticism i would have is in the "About Me" section, I found the font a little small for reading (and i have decent eyesight) it seems to be that the font blends in too much to the background.

Other than that congrats

John
    Waterford Too.

Hi John, thanks for the comment. Glad to see everyone is finding it easy to load and use anyway, that's one goal achieved. With regard to your criticism i will draft up a duplicate version with alternate size text and see how i like it myself. I suppose increasing the font by one size larger wouldn't be too obscure. I'll check that out.
    MacGyver wrote: »
    some of your photos that you took in portrait, show up in the preview as landscape so id probably look into that, and the aspect ratio of the previews stretch out your photos.

Only other problem i see but its a personal thing for me is i hate scrolling but if i have to do it i only want to scroll the page itself rather then the page and then preview box. Now i realize thats probably just me but there ya go :D

Thanks for viewing the site Cathal, although i badgered you into it.:) I see now that the thumbnails do appear skewed. I'll look into resizing them. I just didn't want to have my thumbnail navigation pane looking misaligned with the gaps that would become evident from having thumbnails cropped to accommodate portrait photographs.
    sineadw wrote: »
    Nice job :) I'd agree with the scrolling though. I'm previewing on the laptop in 1024 x 768... Its a bit much to scroll on both the page and the box. Would you consider making your banner and nav bar smaller? They're using up a LOT of vertical space. I'd personally have that smaller and then bring the site up so that you're only scrolling within the flash site itself rather than the browser. Here are two (unfinished!) site's I've been working on (the one for me was just an assignment for college, hence all the bells and whistles - I've no intention of using it) that illustrates what I mean. The pictures are smaller than yours but that's just my template - you could work around it...

www.gigshots.ie/flash

www.karendonnellan.com

Also - would you consider putting a little small design element with a nice contrasting colour in? As you can see from my site, I love minimal and monochrome, but I think something is necessary in yours to just lift it a teensy bit.. something like the red detail on my main site - gigshots.ie

And yep - watch your preview images skewing!

You use a template or code yourself?

Hi Sinead, I used a template that a friend alerted me to. I can see where you are coming from with the scrolling idea but being honest i think that's a persons personal preference. I, myself don't mind it on any other site at all.The reason it's really is there is because when i open the gallery pages i don't want to have a big long page of thumbnails stretching down the bottom of my browser window.This will become very obvious to you as to why it is the way it is if i was to upload 50 photographs to the one page. If i did that your webpage would become a scrolling nightmare. I personally thought it would be better to have them hidden away the way they are until you are ready to view them. Thanks for your suggestions and comments, they are really appreciated.
    Psst.. It's Dia duit, not guit :P Pronunciation is a bítch like that with gaeilge ;)

Nice site, quick too :) The one thing I'll say is, some of the images seem to look stretched/out of proportion, both in thumbnail and display size..

i fixed that spelling mistake there callum.:) Spelling is a bitch lol.
    Glad you like it a it's quickness. As i said earlier the photo's on it are temporary and if thats the only big problem *(the skewing that is) then it's relatively fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

well!!! i have a crappy 3g broadband dongle and it all loaded for me in no time - yay!! :D

i think it's great so far. but just me 2 cents here - remember to choose your text wisely one you go live or whatever. let your shots speak for themselves, i don't think we need to know how long you have/haven't been taking photographs. and spellcheck, spellcheck spellcheck.

i really like the overall look, it's clean and uncluttered and the monochrome is great as i think its adds to your photos rather than distracts from them. i'm on a 17'' widescreen laptop though, so the scrolling is a tad annoying, maybe reduce the size of the banner + nav as mentioned before?

best of luck with it!! :)

artyeva wrote: »
    well!!! i have a crappy 3g broadband dongle and it all loaded for me in no time - yay!! :D

i think it's great so far. but just me 2 cents here - remember to choose your text wisely one you go live or whatever. let your shots speak for themselves, i don't think we need to know how long you have/haven't been taking photographs. and spellcheck, spellcheck spellcheck.

i really like the overall look, it's clean and uncluttered and the monochrome is great as i think its adds to your photos rather than distracts from them. i'm on a 17'' widescreen laptop though, so the scrolling is a tad annoying, maybe reduce the size of the banner + nav as mentioned before?

best of luck with it!! :)

I'm happy it loaded quickly for you :)

I'll be looking into the font and photograph size of things. Spell-checking I've been flagged on alright. I just tend to lose my spell checking enthusiasm when I'm writing the text in an XML file.Glad you like the layout and that you think it's clean and uncluttered. That seems to be the overall consensus. I'm on a 17" Monitor too and it's not really an issue for me. Is it a general opinion to reduce the banner?

stick-dan wrote: »
    I can see where you are coming from with the scrolling idea but being honest i think that's a persons personal preference.

Without labouring the point (and I know its a small one) - its not really. Its a basic principle of HCI and design (see here if you're interested. I love this side of design - strongly considering doing a masters in it when I get this degree out of the way). It'll reduce your viewer's enjoyment of the site, as evidenced by others' comments about it too. If you look at the Karen Donellan site I posted she has a lot of thumbnails in her gallery, so I used a scrolling thumbnail gallery. Maybe you could do something like that? I'd give you a hand with the actionscript if you like :)

Without labouring the point (and I know its a small one) - its not really. Its a basic principle of HCI and design (see here if you're interested. I love this side of design - strongly considering doing a masters in it when I get this degree out of the way). It'll reduce your viewer's enjoyment of the site, as evidenced by others' comments about it too. If you look at the Karen Donellan site I posted she has a lot of thumbnails in her gallery, so I used a scrolling thumbnail gallery. Maybe you could do something like that? I'd give you a hand with the actionscript if you like :)

Hiya, i get where you are coming from alright, i actually just last year completed my studies on HCI for a semester of the subject so i am well aware of what you are saying. I had this similar problem with my lecturer. She would tell em to make a menu like the example you would give saying its user friendly and promotes user enjoyment but i actually find that they deter me more than the normal embedded scroll bar. I might actually look into it with you at some stage in the near future. Two HCI heads would be better than one.:) Thanks for your continued input.I really appreciate it.:)

• Advertisement

Ah ok - so long as you know :) I have no problem with scroll bars, only with two of them :P

Where was the course as a matter of (COMPLETELY off topic!) interest? I don't know that many covering HCI and design principles is why I ask. Maybe we did the same one :pac:

Ah ok - so long as you know :) I have no problem with scroll bars, only with two of them :P

Where was the course as a matter of (COMPLETELY off topic!) interest? I don't know that many covering HCI and design principles is why I ask. Maybe we did the same one :pac:

I know :)

I did it very strangely as part of an Applied computing course in Waterford Institute of Technology, just a semester of it, but I'm familiar with the teaching and i must agree with you that it's a very interesting side of all this.I'll get back on topic now. Drop me a pm if ya wanna talk HCI further. Thanks for your comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

mis-spelled walk as wake on your view from your workplace.

other than that, lovely simple to use site, well put together.

just got into dslr myself, will look at setting up a website in a while.
    well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Ill second that.

I like the site, its simple and theres not much to fault. The navigation is very effective, and the layout is brilliant imo. Your testimonial section is real nice. I rekon thats near perfect typography. The about me section images on the right should be moved down 70 odd pixels to line up with the text on the left of the screen also. Your contact page needs work and fast. Noone likes writing down links when its not a clickable link, let alone something that cant be highlighted for a copy&paste. Your making yourself less accessable. Just make an invisible box over that text area, or put in a text area and lash in some HTML with a mailto link.

You could really economise on the space being used. Theres alot of black in there and your logo is extremely bland. Nothing pops on the site. It really wants colour. Monotone doesn't say classy or stylish, it says mundane and lifeless. Dont be afraid of it! You can really make your images look more apealing by having a nice site. Put it this way - Think of what a good frame does for a nice painting, and what a terrible frame looks like on a nice painting.

I would drop the font size on the headings by 2pt, cut out about 15-20 pixels below your banner, and a good 70-100 pixels off the bottom above your footer. Why? It would get rid of the scroll bar on the side of my screen... However you should have probably built the site with a 1024x768 resolution in mind as its the most commonly used res at the moment by users.

So to reitterate.

Brighten up the site with more colour
    Economise a bit more on the space used
    Fix the stretched images
    Fix links and text

coolmoose wrote: »
    mis-spelled walk as wake on your view from your workplace.

other than that, lovely simple to use site, well put together.

just got into dslr myself, will look at setting up a website in a while.
    well done.

Thanks Coolmoose, glad you found it easy to navigate through.Thanks for the comment.
    red_ice wrote: »
    Ill second that.

I like the site, its simple and theres not much to fault. The navigation is very effective, and the layout is brilliant imo. Your testimonial section is real nice. I rekon thats near perfect typography. The about me section images on the right should be moved down 70 odd pixels to line up with the text on the left of the screen also. Your contact page needs work and fast. Noone likes writing down links when its not a clickable link, let alone something that cant be highlighted for a copy&paste. Your making yourself less accessable. Just make an invisible box over that text area, or put in a text area and lash in some HTML with a mailto link.

You could really economise on the space being used. Theres alot of black in there and your logo is extremely bland. Nothing pops on the site. It really wants colour. Monotone doesn't say classy or stylish, it says mundane and lifeless. Dont be afraid of it! You can really make your images look more apealing by having a nice site. Put it this way - Think of what a good frame does for a nice painting, and what a terrible frame looks like on a nice painting.

I would drop the font size on the headings by 2pt, cut out about 15-20 pixels below your banner, and a good 70-100 pixels off the bottom above your footer. Why? It would get rid of the scroll bar on the side of my screen... However you should have probably built the site with a 1024x768 resolution in mind as its the most commonly used res at the moment by users.

So to reitterate.

Brighten up the site with more colour
    Economise a bit more on the space used
    Fix the stretched images
    Fix links and text

Hi Red_ice
    My contact page i agree defo needs words, i was only learning how to edit it an hour before i put this up for C&C.I'll change the text to be clickable links. In fact i don't remember the reason why i didn't do that originally, i have dont it elsewhere on the website. Must be laziness on my part.

There is a lot of unused space and is is "dull" in a sense but once i upload the correct and final images i believe this will just help to make them stand out more. I get where you are coming from with the frame analogy alright. With regards to trimming down the banner and footer i may look into that once i have a day off again. I'll keep you measurements in mind for that. Would decreasing the banner and footer by a small number of pixels really increase your viewing pleasure?If so i'll get right on it next time i start at the site again as a few people have hinted at this. The text alignment on the about me page will be fixed this evening. Thanks for your compliment on my testimonial page. It was an idea i thought long and hard about. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to review my site and thanks for that very constructive C&C. It's very much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

I like the site and in particular the speed, there is nothing more off putting than watching a bar go to 100%.

I would look at some sort of logo and change the D Jordan Photography txt, it's to "flat" for a banner.

On the about me page I'd make the following comments:

1. 1st paragraph change "bare" to bear !!, exhibition misspelt.

2. the middle b&w photo looks skewed on my monitor
    3. your ambitions seem to contradict the reason for your site. This is your sales tool so I would suggest removing "to make a serious amount of money from it..." this is after all when you may sell prints from and get some commercial work. No reason to make potential customers think you’re not interested in work.

Congrats its a very nice, clean site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

stick-dan wrote: »
    Would decreasing the banner and footer by a small number of pixels really increase your viewing pleasure?

Most definitely.

Put it this way. Your craft if whats on display, not the site. Why should i have to scroll down to see your work? The full image should be displayed instantly center screen so that when the image loads it is in the main unobstructed focus of the user. Right now in my resolution, i see 3/4 the image, and i have to scroll to see it in full.

Advertisement