Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A "before & after" thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Before:
    24pjxg1.jpg

After:
    eqoug4.jpg

PP work: clone out the rig, drop in the sky, add stickers for a laugh, curves and a brightness/contrast layer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Ballyman wrote: »
    So if you saw a model in a bikini, with a large softbox pointed at her, a camera and someone else holding a reflector you would continue with your head in the air and not even peek a glance to see what was going on???

You're a better man than me!

Shur I see that kind of thing every day. Don't you??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

For Eas.....
    BB06D1813328405E96FCDE8B4574D93C-500.jpg

42E1F0B9C39B44708DD8CBC164CFD1CA-500.jpg

And for Oshead...Did you have Ms. Coughlin in St. Finians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Ballyman wrote: »
    So if you saw a model in a bikini, with a large softbox pointed at her, a camera and someone else holding a reflector you would continue with your head in the air and not even peek a glance to see what was going on???

You're a better man than me!

I was holding the reflector to the camera right. It wasn't easy... :)

humberklog wrote: »
    And for Oshead...Did you have Ms. Coughlin in St. Finians?[/CENTER]

No Miss Malone. lol. She was the really good looking one. Ms. Coughlin rings a bell but it was a long time ago so I can't really place her. I was an awful day dreamer back then. :p

oshead wrote: »
    No Miss Malone. lol. She was the really good looking one. Ms. Coughlin rings a bell but it was a long time ago so I can't really place her. I was an awful day dreamer back then. :p

St. Finian's in Westmeath?

St. Finian's in Westmeath?

No... Finglas, where they eat their children. :pac:

No... Finglas, where they eat their children. :pac:

Jayzuz I thought you were posh Oshead, what with that backgarden (and not a piebald in sight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Before
    beforen.jpg

After (messing in PS with the exposure and to remove the lens distortion)
    3875534102_218cf1720a_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

BT shop window in Galway around the time of the Galway Races:
    3913349318_99c333520a.jpg

3750629870_9b36acbd6e.jpg

• Advertisement

Here's the before and after of an image from the end of last summer. The original was imported into Lightroom and the preset Zeroed was run on it. This puts the image back to the original raw state. I then fixed brought the exposure down by -1 stop. You can see how bland it looked. This makes it perfect for working on in Photoshop.

To make the second image here's a brief overview. In hindsight I would have done a few things differently.
    1. Use Curves for some skin correction.
    2. Cloned some dirt off his top and motion blurred it a little.
    3. Cloned (Darkened) the white blown out sky to his right
    4. Ran Imagenomic's portraiture on a very low setting to clean the face up a little.
    5. Added a B&W layer with soft light and dropped the opacity way down.
    6. Brightened, Colored and sharpened the eyes using Curves, Color Balance and High Pass (soft light).
    7. Adjusted for shadows and highlights with a see through mask on Nathan.
    8. Add color blue to the sky using Color balance.
    9. Did a couple of High Passes with soft light on it (2 and 10).
    10. Sharpened it, Guy Gowan style.
    11. Created a Vignette using levels.
    12. Blended it all together with brightness and contrast layer.

All in all I'm pleased with the results. It looks way better on a calibrated monitor. With richer colors and more contrast.

106196.jpg106197.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

BB06D1813328405E96FCDE8B4574D93C-500.jpg
    out of curiosity, how did this photo come about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

Before:
    socowbefore1.jpg
    socowafter2.jpg
    socowbefore4.jpg
    socowbefore3.jpg

After:
    socowafter.jpg

Looks like this thread is dying a death.

I've been playing around with Photoshop a lot recently. Here's a previously shown image, reworked form the raw file. I chose this image cos it's not often I get this good an expression from her while I have the camera in hand.

I imported to Lightroom and ran the Zeroed preset on it. Then I altered the exposure by +1 stop and then brought back the highlights on the curtains using the recovery slider. Cropped it to taste, then exported to Photoshop. I did a lot of cloning to clean up the floor, the light stands, my feet and the curtains. Increased the size of her hand. Brightened her face and did some High pass filter runs to try and add a little contrast to her face. Threated the whole image to a little b&w conversion using soft light then added a vignette and done.

Before & After.....
    attachment.php?attachmentid=107829&stc=1&d=1268760994attachment.php?attachmentid=107831&stc=1&d=1268761313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I process all the time, mostly just subtle changes, but some really boring pictures need a lot of saving from the bin! I had limited time in this church yard, we'd brought the kids to a playground in cavan and this was across the road. I went over and took some quick fire shots around the grounds. At the pc I kept returning to this one, knew I could do ... something with it ... bit of messing about and turned this:

straight off cam - [resized down for forum]
    TsLaNMTL.jpeg

Into this:

Lightroom treated, grey-scaled - [again, downsized]
    v8IPTyvS.jpeg

Obiously cropped out anything I didn't want, making it portrait style, Corrected horizon, using the hedge behind the graves as the level point. used fill light and upped the exposure to get more detail on the graves. Sharpened a little all round and boosted clarity. Desaturated. Used the curve to adjust highlights and shadows. Added a slight dark vignette for added spookiness

I think it turned out pretty good :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Threated the whole image to a little b&w conversion using soft light then added a vignette and done.
    i *much* prefer the original. the treatment on the face is actually a little scary looking...

out of curiosity, how did this photo come about?

No more story to it other than that I was there and so were they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Cloned some dirt off his top and motion blurred it a little.

you did a lot more than clone dirt off! Missing a fair few creases on his top, which make the top look like its been blown up with air or something. The creases on the original shows that it fits him. Having said that, I prefer the second image, if the above was fixed and his eyes weren't as blue. His face is possibly a bit bright but I'm being picky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Phoaw, that's some brilliant work Dave!!! I love how you've moved your hand over in the finished shot, really makes it a better shot!

Really good work all round!!

• Advertisement

No more story to it other than that I was there and so were they.
    and you're okay with posting a photo of a breastfeeding woman who quite clearly took issue with her photo being taken?

alexlyons wrote: »
    you did a lot more than clone dirt off! Missing a fair few creases on his top, which make the top look like its been blown up with air or something. The creases on the original shows that it fits him. Having said that, I prefer the second image, if the above was fixed and his eyes weren't as blue. His face is possibly a bit bright but I'm being picky!

Her... by the way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

kjt wrote: »
    Her... by the way..

I sincerely apologise :o

and you're okay with posting a photo of a breastfeeding woman who quite clearly took issue with her photo being taken?

Hang on a mo there joe. You've gone and edited your post. The one that said "the reason you ask is your not comfortable...etc. blah ,blah, another topic for another day, yaddah, yaddah."? Remember that post? Just now?
    Well you were right it's another topic for another thread.

Also back to the post where you originally asked about the pic, you said you're asking because you're "curious". I answered as simply as I could, it's not complicated. But then you switched you're reason as to why you asked. I wouldn't have answered you if I knew the question was going to be so loaded and duplicitus. Ask a question if you're going to FFS!
    The way you've gone about getting a point across really was very underhanded and I'm not interested in answering any more questions from you about anything ever again. Good luck.

yes, i edited my post. that's allowed.

and i'm quite amused about you lecturing me on morality.

oh look, you edited your post too.

• Advertisement

and i'm quite amused about you lecturing me on morality.

Good.

anyway, the original post with the photo has been reported, so we can just wait to see what the mods think - i would argue that the circumstances of the photo clearly constitute bullying.

i *much* prefer the original. the treatment on the face is actually a little scary looking...

You gotta be kidding me.... :) The whole idea of going overboard a little with the pp was because of the scary expression. I wanted to do a little photorealism type effect on it. Kinda like Dave Hill. To make it work i needed the expression. Btw... I have a million shots of her where she all smiling and happy.

Alex, you probably missed point no 2 "Cloned some dirt off his top and motion blurred it a little." The motion blur helps remove the creases from materials. I hate to drop names or anything, :o but it's a trick I learned off Yervant Zanazanian back in November when myself and Kyle (kjt) met him. :pac:
    Phoaw, that's some brilliant work Dave!!! I love how you've moved your hand over in the finished shot, really makes it a better shot!

Really good work all round!!

Thanks Kyle (kjt) :). My winter of PP discontent is nearly over. :rolleyes:

I actually increased the size of Jessica's hand to make it a little more dramatic. Though you're right, it does look like my hand was moved.
    Her... by the way..

I think Alex is talking about the image of Nathan. ;)

:)

I'd forgotten about the pic of the gypsies on this thread.
    I did a test on that picture and ran up a number of unedited versions to sell against the edited ones. Over 350 of the edited versions have sold in comparison to only 2 of the un-edited. The bit of PPing can really pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Just out of curiosity, do you think there's a difference between posting a picture of a woman who clearly took issues with him taking this photo and posting a picture of a breastfeeding woman who clearly took issues with him taking this photo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Can we stop the handbags now please?

Before: (resized)

After:
    107844.jpg

eas wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, do you think there's a difference between posting a picture of a woman who clearly took issues with him taking this photo and posting a picture of a breastfeeding woman who clearly took issues with him taking this photo?
    well, if i was a breastfeeding woman and saw someone going around taking photos of other women breastfeeding in public, it might make me a lot more hesitant to do it. so yes, i would argue it is pertinent.

Oh and it made a nice few quid for the earthquake victims in Haiti through a public on line auction.
    Gotta love Picasa for tidying up a bit. For years I used to just plod along with getting pics developed and printed. I haven't gone straight from the can in a year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

humberklog & magicbastarder if I was brave enough, I would grab you both by the ear and give you a scalding :mad:

magicbastarder, if you reported the post, fine, it will be dealth with. announcing it won't help your cause

humberklog, that particular picture has been on this forum (random photo thread) for quite some time and nothing has been said. It's a truely beautiful picture of real life natural emotions

Can the two of yous hush up and lets get back to the amazing transformation of photos in this thread :)

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I'd forgotten about the pic of the gypsies on this thread.
    I did a test on that picture and ran up a number of unedited versions to sell against the edited ones. Over 350 of the edited versions have sold in comparison to only 2 of the un-edited. The bit of PPing can really pay off.

Mind me asking where you sell your images?

DK32 wrote: »
    Mind me asking where you sell your images?

I've a gallery in George's St. arcade and I fly sell in Temple Bar Sq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Her... by the way..

CROSSED LINES, Talking about 2 different photos
    Dave has a boy and a girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I've a gallery in George's St. arcade and I fly sell in Temple Bar Sq.

Cheers! I must call in next time I'm in town :)

0638D64E6C7441E9AE6A07E5C4B3944E-800.jpg

B30A71EB1C1842A89ED70B597842D83F-800.jpg

B30A71EB1C1842A89ED70B597842D83F-800.jpg

You've just let your secret out. :eek:

• Advertisement

Before
    47979890.jpg

After
    4448987232_ec49d3d92d_o.jpg

Aperture: f/22.0
    Focal Length: 11 mm
    ISO Speed: 100
    30 sec exposure with a €2 piece welding glass doubling as a (approx) 14 stop filter. Tweaked the WB and a few other things in raw editor to give the master jpeg image.

Then went back to the processed RAW and then made separate -2, -1, 0, +1 & +2 tiff exposures and loaded these into photomatrix to create a HDR. Mainly to try and get some of the detail in the stones back.
    Then pasted the HDR jpeg over the master jpeg and reduced the opacity of the HDR layer to around 15-20%.

Straightened, cropped, unsharped mask and done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Nicely done. Great idea on the welding glass, I'd have thought that would be far too dark to use for anything like this.

Before
    After

Very nice, took a few of these today too, looking forward to seeing how they turned out. Is this your first try at the welders glass?

Very nice, took a few of these today too, looking forward to seeing how they turned out. Is this your first try at the welders glass?

Thanks. I've had a few attempts at it now

Very nice! How are you attaching the glass, rubber bands? I couldn't find any in the house this morning and too about 10minutes to attach it with sewing thread haha - Disaster

My fav!

Sewing thread! LOL! Elastic bands do the job for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 rubio

I don't usually alter an image this much, but just couldn't help it on this occasion.. :pac:

82984.jpg598C512461294BB2A1782651F8C52202-800.jpg

That's excellent, good work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

following on from the processing thread. Taken with my 70-200mm 2.8L I wanted to try and create golden light without having to stay up till 9.30
    before-after.jpg

4733793217_3eec60cdf2_b.jpg

4733582473_98a886d675_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Obama here

Advertisement