Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry too hot, what to do?

Options
  • 17-06-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

I just made a curry but overdid it on the paste, it actually tastes ok but its burning my lips too much to be pleasurable. How can I weaken that effect a bit? Its curry paste with coconut milk, do I just add more coconut milk? thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Adding banana will work or natural yogurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Adding ordinary milk or natural yogurt will take down the heat as well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Add plain cream.

Never heard about banana, made a note of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Cheers lads, I'll be able to eat the rest tomorrow so! phew.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

+1 for natural yogurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just to add- coconut will add loads of calories. I had one too hot recently, I just spooned the sauce into a jar and froze it, leaving meat with some hot sauce in the pot, then dumped in some tomato pasta sauce which diluted the hotness down. Would work better with currys that are supposed to be tomato based of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

this may sound daft but years ago when working on ships, we would often eat our curry with salad ,for some unkown reason it makes it taste milder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have a load of sliced Cucumber with the curry, cukes will really reduce the effect of spicy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

drink more water:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Sweetening it will reduce the kick, either with coconut milk or palm sugar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Eat it with yoghurt and cucumber on the side - finely dice some cukes and a little fresh mint - add the yoghurt. Drink milk with the meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rocknchef wrote: »
    drink more water:p

That won't help.:eek:

Beer or milk.
    Funnily enough, I'd go with the beer.

+1 on the yoghurt, cucumber and mint. I'd add a bit of salt and sugar too (to the yoghurt)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Minder wrote: »
    Eat it with yoghurt and cucumber on the side - finely dice some cukes and a little fresh mint - add the yoghurt. Drink milk with the meal.

That would be a Raita no?
    They are great and in fact I think I will do one for tonights curry!! Thanks for reminding me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

eww I hate cucumber. I added milk which helped a lot, will add some more yogurt tonight. Thanks again peeps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Lots of useful suggestions above, also try a bit of mango chutney in it. Normally takes the sting out of it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

A little bit of butter or spread does a great job... my cousins are half Indian and that's what their mother always did with the kids curries when it was a bit hot for them.

Advertisement