Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freckles

Options
  • 17-06-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Since summer is here (so they say...), I thought a thread about freckles might be appropriate.
    I have freckles. I have very sensitive skin that tans and freckles when I go out in the sun. I acquired all of my current freckles when I was a child and would play outside for hours.
    Now, I'm not a big fan of my freckles. If I could wave a magic wand and change one physical thing about myself, getting rid of my freckles would be one of the two front runners (the other, for the curious - change the color of my eyes from dark brown to green).
    When my freckles are on display, people always comment: "Oh you have freckles - that's so cute!." I find this somewhat irritating. I know they mean well, but it just bothers me. I'm really good at forgetting what I look like when I'm going about my day, so when someone reminds me I have freckles I go, "That's right, I do have freckles - d*mn!"

So do you have freckles? If so, what's your relationship with your freckles? Do love them and show them off? Or are you not so crazy about them?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I have about 7/8 on my lower arms, and when i was incrediably bored, i would play join the dots when i was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Just a few on my Arms, nothing major though. I can see why you get irritated by the whole "That's so Cute" thing, but freckles are quite cute in the same vein as dimples are cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

When my freckles are on display, people always comment: "Oh you have freckles - that's so cute!." I find this somewhat irritating.
    Well, you've had your freckles for some time now, and have decided you don't like them. If someone goes out of their way to compliment you for a feature, you should be grateful not irritated :)

(the other, for the curious - change the color of my eyes from dark brown to green).
    And mine are dark blue, but I'd love them to be dark brown ;) Even though I've been complimented on them countless times, I'd say you have too. We wimminz are our own worst critics.

So do you have freckles? If so, what's your relationship with your freckles? Do love them and show them off? Or are you not so crazy about them?

I do have some freckles, none on my face but the odd one here and there. I have to say, I do find some freckles on guys cute, and add something to their face too. You should embrace the things that make you unique. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Don't know about the freckles, that's up to you, but keep the brown eyes :D

As a race, are we not all freckled up in one or another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

My bf is covered in freckles (I <3 the Gingers) and I love them - I love how the pattern of them changes depending on the body part and they just make his skin look really funky.

I don't get freckles, I just get moles. Now those things are really horrid :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Abigayle wrote: »
    Well, you've had your freckles for some time now, and have decided you don't like them. If someone goes out of their way to compliment you for a feature, you should be grateful not irritated :)

See, I disagree. When someone compliments me on a feature, I always say thank you, even if it's on my freckles. It's the polite thing to do, an acknowledgment that they have gone out of their way to say something nice. However, that's where my obligation ends. I have no obligation to be truly grateful. If it irritates me, it irritates me. As long as I don't take that irritation out on them, then I don't see the problem.
    And by irritate, I mean the way a fly irritates you. Just for a second and then it buzzes off. That's all. This was really just meant as a light-hearted discussion about freckles.

And mine are all over my face and arms. Playing connect the dots with them, you'd get a lot of shapes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

g'em wrote: »
    Now those things are really horrid :(

Yep. They're an decent reason for avoiding/being careful in the sun.

I've a few freckles around that seem to come and go. None on my face thankfully IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I have some freckles. Most of them are high up on my cheeks and I never minded them, but I've gotten a few on my nose this summer which don't look as nice, kind of looks like shmutz, lol.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I've lots of freckles lol - a sprinkling of light ones on my face and LOADS on my arms. I used to try to count them when I was younger and gave up :rolleyes::p I like them I must say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have very, very few freckles. Maybe about five or six barely visible small ones around my nose/eyes if I've been in the sun. I would love freckles though, I think they look great on girls :)

I do have loads of moles though. My skin is really fair so my moles are kinda pinkish, they look weird I think. A lot of people have said I have strange looking moles actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I've got dark olive skin, and no freckles.

But I've always wanted them!

Wanna trade? :p

I actually have olive skin too, and tan quite well - I just freckle along with it! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

I have LOADS of freckles. Covered in them. I even have them on very bizzare parts of my body. I'm quite tanned so don't mind them too much, but when i'm pale i'm not crazy about them and when i'm sick they really stand out. The only ones i'd really change are those on my face. I'll like less there.

But overall they don't bother me anymore. I used to try scrub them off when i was younger, even using bleach and lemon juice!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

My mammy always said that they're a sign of beauty....:D

Wanna trade? :p

I actually have olive skin too, and tan quite well - I just freckle along with it! :o

That sounds nice though, not a very common combination!
    I'd never trade my brown eyes though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I have a few freckles on my cheeks but when I wear foundation they are gone :)

My mother is covered with them - her arms & face and she hates them but then my brother has the same amount as mam but have never heard him comment on them at all.

freckles are what make each person unique - I know they can be annoying but if we all looked the same the world would be a very boring place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't have them but find them lovely on girls, they give character.

freckles_7.jpg25519501.25519501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

oh i hate my freckles soooo much!!!!!

That sounds nice though, not a very common combination!
    I'd never trade my brown eyes though.:)

That's what happens when you've got an Irish/Native American/Italian mix, I guess. :pac:
    The green eyes, I'm just jealous of my father. He has dark olive skin, black hair and light green eyes, and he used to tease my brother and me all the time growing up about our brown eyes, and my mother used to tell us she wished we had his eyes. So now we both wish we had our father's eyes, and everyone else in the family agrees!
    The grass is always greener... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

freckles are cute!!!!!
    no question!!!!
    iv always loved my freckles!!!! :)
    dont cover them up with tan as most do, show them off in these summer days!!!! some light makeup and a little highlighter will make the most of them, totally!!!!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

dont mind my freckles, but in the summer (winter over here, they've all gone into hibernation now), there's about 8 in a cluster near my mouth and htey look like dirt/chocolate... every single year, quite a few times, someone will tell me ive got a little something there, and ill spend time rubbing at it before i realise it's just bloody freckles.

That's what happens when you've got an Irish/Native American/Italian mix, I guess. :pac:
    The green eyes, I'm just jealous of my father. He has dark olive skin, black hair and light green eyes, and he used to tease my brother and me all the time growing up about our brown eyes, and my mother used to tell us she wished we had his eyes. So now we both wish we had our father's eyes, and everyone else in the family agrees!
    The grass is always greener... :p

I'm Italian/German/Irish, but the brown eyes are dominant except in the Irish 1/4, so I was never going to get my Irish Grandpa's blue eyes unless the recessive gene kicked in.

You're fathers colouring sounds very striking, but I still like the brown the best do don't wish them away! Even if the grass (and the eyes) is greener...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Why exactly? They are anything but cute.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I mentioned casually in passing in the pub on Friday that I don't like freckles and I practically got assaulted by three girls I was there with. I didn't realise it was such a sensitive subject. I don't hate them, I'm just not a huge fan. It's certainly not a dealbreaker and not something I ever would have thought would be such a big thing for someone that you'd need to skirt around it. Anyway as a result I decided to induct Annie Wersching into my top 5 in case it happens again. She's got freckles so I figure I can announce it next time and quickly move the topic on to what a saddo I am for having a top 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Magnus wrote: »
    I don't have them but find them lovely on girls, they give character.

freckles_7.jpg25519501.25519501.jpg

I agree with this. When I looked at both pictures, you cannot deny that freckle-less picture is attractive. But the freckled picture is too, natural looking, and she has good skin too. I'd honestly favour the freckled picture here.

Aidric wrote: »
    Why exactly? They are anything but cute.

I think they're very attractive, especially the sprinkling over the nose ones. Very cute and feminine.

But you always want what you don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I've freckles on my cheekbones only, oh and some on my arms. They don't bother me to be honest. They do becomes really obvious in the sun though but fade after a few days again. One of the girls I went to school with has typical irish complexion with freckles++, still spends a fortune trying to cover them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have quite a lot of freckles - I hate them! I don't bother trying to cover them up though, it's just the way my skin is and I have to deal with that. Usually with the P20...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I have 'em. Mostly on my face and I get more in the summer, along with a reasonably good tan so it's all good!

I used to hate them a lot more than I do now. I used to not be able to leave the house without makeup because it covered them but now I'm learning to love my face! I only wear makeup when going on a night out these days. It's so liberating!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lots of freckles on the arms ,

Advertisement