Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to get 1st Gig. How?

• 17-06-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I want to do an electro/house set in a club. How should I go about getting a gig?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Very hard TBH you need to know somebody!

How about a slot on an online electronic radio channel? PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Do a search through this forum, I, and others, have posted advice in relation to this before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Find a night or a few nights in your area that regularly play the style of music your into.

Go to the nights regularly and find out who runs them, introduce your self and give them a mix, just be honest and say you want to play your first set some night and someone will give you a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

yep or find out who the regular warm up guy is and ask him can ytou do 30 minutes when the club is dead.
    most people will appreciate a hungry new dj who wants to satrt from the bottom.unless there pricks,in that case your better off not dealing with them.

i know a fella who knew one of the bartenders in a club he wanted to play in.he would go in there about 30 minutes before the promoter showed up and would be playing as he walked in.good way to get the conversation started and show em your stuff too.

just something to think about.you more than likely will be getting warm up slots so maybe consider giving them a warm up cd aswell as a peaktime cd.electrohouse aint subtle so maybe get into something a bit slower and deeper so you dont bang it out the first hours before the main guy.
    promoters,djs and crowds dont respond well to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 electroma

its all about who you know when it comes to getting gigs at the moment, do up 2 or 3 demo's and send them round, another route would be maybe a pirate radio station get to know the lads, prove yourself and hopefully if they have an electro night you'll get a nod. how long you playing man?

as someone already said hanging around club nights and getting to know people is great advice too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

electroma wrote: »
    its all about who you know when it comes to getting gigs at the moment
    That's always been the case though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 electroma

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's always been the case though

i know what your saying but the way things are at the moment with many gigs flopping it seems that promoters etc want credible names on their bills, maybe they wont take a chance on new djs you know what i mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

Very hard TBH you need to know somebody!

How about a slot on an online electronic radio channel? PM me.

Yea bandybanter try get a slot on kitchen-sync send your mix onto one of the lads, its good crack im new to it its good fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bandybanter

Thanks for the tips lads. To tell ya truth I not in the game too long and wouldn't be quite ready for an online slot just yet. Tho my mate prob at the standard, so i'll chat to him and see if he would like to talk to u guys about online radio. I'll try and get a short mix too.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

You really have to start at the bottom and not expect to even get billed a lot of the time. Loads of really good advice up there already.
    I started off sitting out for the night by the DJ box in all the clubs I used to go to. You get chatting to the DJs and the promoters and if you can talk the talk and get to know the people in the scene then you might eventually get a few warm up slots and thats how you get started.
    Playing to a half empty club might not seem like a great start but if you can't do a good job then, then you're not going to do a good job later.
    Remember, the people who go to clubs early mostly fall into two catagories
    1) Music fans
    2) the promoters
    A lot of bedroom DJ's have never played on a club rig and you'll be surprised by the difference in sound, especially for monitoring, at different venues so its all about getting experience.

Work on your mixing and keep recording your sets. I play regularly but I still send out promo mixes. You'll only be a success if you really want to be.
    No quick routes to stardom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 rexx le gaff

I want to do an electro/house set in a club. How should I go about getting a gig?

i run a night. do me up 45 mix send me a link, and ill put you on some night!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Where is your gig Rex, what sort of music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 rexx le gaff

Zascar wrote: »
    Where is your gig Rex, what sort of music?

i run that underground thing out in balbriggan with my friend adam

this is whats happening this weekend for "underground" dance heads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055594220

Advertisement