Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Helmet

• 17-06-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Ive been looking around a lot for a new helmet as my head is now smaller than when I got mine 2 years ago. That's what losing 3 stone will do to you; make you spend more money...

But anyway, I had a good look at everything and to my surprise the most comfortable, best fitting helmet I found was the 'Dainese Airstream Coarse'. I had never before considered Dainese and Ive no idea of their build quality, but I can attest to the comfort of this lid. It was like wearing a glove - on your head.

Problem is that theyre very expensive for what your getting in bikeworld, about 360ish. I know they can be gotten cheaper online, but theyre bloody hard to get and Im not sure if they even make them anymore. I want it without bluetooth, which does exist, but its tricky to find.

Anyone got a lid that you really really like or any other recommendations?

Thanks for all the info in advance, you helped me pick out my bike, now Ill get you all a drink for the lid:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Head over to Cotters in Ballymount, he'll sort you out with a decent helmet for a great price ;)

I got a Shark RSR2 for €170.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Carberg V2. got a 5star rating in the sharp saftey test: here. Pick up mine for 120 stirling from http://www.thevisorshop.com/ bout a year ago. No complaints. Comfy and has a handy sun visor. Some snazzy designs there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

paulieeye - that lid really does look cool. Is it comfy? I have a head that's long and slim. Would it be suitable to this head? Id prob just get matt black, but it looks the biz. Its the fit Im concerned about.

Kami Kazi, thats a brill price for that lid. How so cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

There's a Dainese store in belfast, you should be able to get the helmet cheaper there -- no VAT on helmets in the UK.

In fact you can order one online from them if you know the model and size:
    http://www.motostyleni.co.uk/shop/categories/Dainese-Helmets/

Kami Kazi, thats a brill price for that lid. How so cheap?

Dunno, but I didn't argue ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

http://www.caberglids.co.uk/

For caberg lids, they only charge 3.50 delivery to Ireland. Works out very cheap. If I get a V2R, it will be from there! Now to look at the Dainese store...

The Dainese lid is waaaay cheaper on ebay. In fact, even with stupid postage amounts, its still half the price of bikeworld. Thing is I know the Dainese fits like a glove, but I have an open mind; metaphorically speaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

never knew dainese done lids aswell.

paulieeye - that lid really does look cool. Is it comfy? I have a head that's long and slim. Would it be suitable to this head? Id prob just get matt black, but it looks the biz. Its the fit Im concerned about.

its hard to say. I found it a tighter fit than the nitro i had before, which was the same size but a lot looser. So it does fit a smaller head better.

I got the matt black too..looks the job!

but if ur sure the danise fits and is near in price, no point in takin a risk on the carberg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I can only recommend buying a model online if you have tried that exact one on in real life so to speak..
    The most important thing about a helmet is that it fits correctly- one thing the internet can't tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Head over to Cotters in Ballymount, he'll sort you out with a decent helmet for a great price ;)

I got a Shark RSR2 for €170.
    You did?!?!?! WTF!? How??

That's mighty cheap for an RSR2! I swear by them!

The Dainese lid is waaaay cheaper on ebay. In fact, even with stupid postage amounts, its still half the price of bikeworld. Thing is I know the Dainese fits like a glove, but I have an open mind; metaphorically speaking!
    Anything anywhere is half the price of Bikeworld! How they're still in business is beyond me! :rolleyes:

Anything anywhere is half the price of Bikeworld! How they're still in business is beyond me! :rolleyes:

Idiots that don't know better, they're everywhere :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Read on biker.ie that Cotters have some good deals on Shark lids at the moment, the website seems to back that up as well.

www.cottermc.com

You did?!?!?! WTF!? How??

That's mighty cheap for an RSR2! I swear by them!
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Read on biker.ie that Cotters have some good deals on Shark lids at the moment, the website seems to back that up as well.

www.cottermc.com

^This

^This
    Yeah I figured that's why you got it so cheap! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

I've an arai-can't rem model but it fits lovely. Can be noisey coz of cooling vents. Gotta sing really loudly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Cushla wrote: »
    I've an arai-can't rem model but it fits lovely. Can be noisey coz of cooling vents. Gotta sing really loudly..
    Welcome to Boards, Another Biker I know from the Banner County. :)

Yours is the Quantom :p They improved the noise reduction in the Astra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

paulieeye wrote: »
    Carberg V2. got a 5star rating in the sharp saftey test: here. Pick up mine for 120 stirling from http://www.thevisorshop.com/ bout a year ago. No complaints. Comfy and has a handy sun visor. Some snazzy designs there too.

Those Caberg V2R carbon seem like very good value 1250 grams 200g hundred lighter than regular model. £100 more but a bargain compared to the BMW carbon helmet which was over €1000 last time I looked. It does only weigh a kilo though. Have a Caberg justimo which I've found to be very good flip up very handy when I used the bike to commute every day. A full face probably makes more sense now that I'm a fair weather biker. Love the integrated sun visor makes it very difficult to consider any other makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

carbon's are noisier no? The rigidity transfers it straight through?
    That used to be the case as they were generally race helmets only to be worn for an hour at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

Ive been looking around a lot for a new helmet as my head is now smaller than when I got mine 2 years ago. That's what losing 3 stone will do to you; make you spend more money...

But anyway, I had a good look at everything and to my surprise the most comfortable, best fitting helmet I found was the 'Dainese Airstream Coarse'. I had never before considered Dainese and Ive no idea of their build quality, but I can attest to the comfort of this lid. It was like wearing a glove - on your head.

Problem is that theyre very expensive for what your getting in bikeworld, about 360ish. I know they can be gotten cheaper online, but theyre bloody hard to get and Im not sure if they even make them anymore. I want it without bluetooth, which does exist, but its tricky to find.

Anyone got a lid that you really really like or any other recommendations?

Thanks for all the info in advance, you helped me pick out my bike, now Ill get you all a drink for the lid:D

I've got the Shoei XR1000. Very comfy lid with pinlock inserts for mist free riding all year round!! i have mine about 4 years now and will probably get another one when its time to replace it.

On that topic when should you replace your lid? Is it every 5 years or just when its had a fall?

Check the lid & labels that came with it, most lids have an expiration date.

And yeah, I'd replace mine if I dropped it.

Check the lid & labels that came with it, most lids have an expiration date.

And yeah, I'd replace mine if I dropped it.
    Lids don't have an expiration date. They have a manufacture date. In general, a lid should not be used if it is 5 years or older. If dropped, bin it.

My rule is "treat your lid as you would a baby's head". Sounds a bit extreme but if you want to ensure it will save your noggin in an impact then you have to be that fussy!

Advertisement