Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Korea qualify for the World Cup

• 17-06-2009 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

North Korea qualified for the World Cup finals for the first time since 1966 following a goalless draw in Saudi Arabia watched by 66,000 fans. Iran's failure to defeat South Korea in Seoul earlier meant that North Korea only needed a draw in Riyadh.
    They join South Korea, Australia and Japan as Asia's four automatic qualifiers for South Africa 2010.
    North Korea's Kim Yong-jun was sent off in the fifth minute of injury-time, but by then his team were all but through.
    In the 1966 event in England North Korea famously defeated Italy at Middlesbrough's Ayresome Park.

And in the quarter-finals they led Portugal 3-0 at one stage before going down 5-3 as Eusebio inspired a remarkable comeback at Goodison Park.
    In Wednesday evening's match, North Korea found themselves defending against a wave of attacks but held firm at the King Fahd International Stadium.
    The Saudis threatened from the start, but were unable to capitalise on a number of shooting opportunities.
    Saudi Arabia will get another chance to progress after finishing third in Group B to advance to the Asian play-offs, where they face Bahrain.
    They will play each other over two legs in September, with the winners advancing to a home-and-away play-off against Oceania winners New Zealand in October and November.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8106203.stm

Bet anything they get drawn with the Yanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

They probably won't even show the matches there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Quint wrote: »
    Course they will, it will be used as state propaganda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Off topicish: Would Ireland have to play an Asian team if they get to the playoffs, like last time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

CiaranC wrote: »
    Course they will, it will be used as state propaganda
    Imagine they drew USA and England, and got hammered by both! Wouldn't fancy being a North Korea player heading home if that happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

creggy wrote: »
    Off topicish: Would Ireland have to play an Asian team if they get to the playoffs, like last time?

Nope will play another European

Asian playoff is V New Zealand and the other play off is North V South America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Shows you how weak all the other continents are compared to Europe. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

\o/ North Korea \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Thanks for that City, Ireland will have step up their game.

I wouldn't mind seeing North Korea v South Korea in the WC, oozing with tension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Congrats to DPRK. i for one will cheer them on at the WC if Ireland don't make it, anyone who doesn't is clearly a stooge of the evil empire and its Euro stooges.

England
    USA
    Iran
    DPRK

Possible seedings could produce group above? truly a clash of the war mongering powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/\ get bullied in skool much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I think its great they qualified, after all it is a World Cup - would be great to see them play the USA too - add a bit of spice.

mike65 wrote: »
    /\ get bullied in skool much?

Too cool for skool old man

I can tell, judging by your judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

No doubt The Great Leader Kim Il-sung will be on the team sheet at left back, only to be replaced just before kick-off, cos he is actually dead......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

if they beat the US of A in the WC there be nuclear war heads going off....:rolleyes:

Remember when Iraq played the USA in the World Cup, it was all hype spouted by tabloids eg WW3 etc.. TBH in a miniscule way it probably helped the conflict between the 2 countries. After the match it is always good to see teams shake hands and get on with things - puts things into perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It is quite an achievement. Unfortunately I can't see them having much travelling support, if any!

I can tell, judging by your judgement.

Aw whats wrong with ya? upset with a little harsh rhetoric are we?

It is quite an achievement. Unfortunately I can't see them having much travelling support, if any!

It would be something to see Kim Jong-il in the crowd - shades of Team America

Aw whats wrong with ya? upset with a little harsh rhetoric are we?

I just thought it amusing that you'd back a mad dictators team over democracies to make a lame point. Flawed as they may be western governments are not starving million of their voters, Of course North Korea has no voters or indeed travelling support as noted by Mr.Nice Guy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Warper wrote: »
    Remember when Iraq played the USA in the World Cup, it was all hype spouted by tabloids eg WW3 etc.. TBH in a miniscule way it probably helped the conflict between the 2 countries. After the match it is always good to see teams shake hands and get on with things - puts things into perspective.

Except it was Iran, not Iraq.. slight difference.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It was Iran vs USA surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Quint wrote: »

Course they will. But the endings of the games might be a little different there. North Korea will emerge victorious and glorious like the great nation it is! Kim Jong-Ill coming off the bench to score a hat trick against the Brazilians.

Hail Freedomness!

Apologies it was Iran, not Iraq.

I just thought it amusing that you'd back a mad dictators team over democracies to make a lame point. Flawed as they may be western governments are not starving million of their voters, Of course North Korea has no voters or indeed travelling support as noted by Mr.Nice Guy

DPRK will be underdogs in every sense of the word next summer. Football is escapism and to wish ill on a team of people from such grim circumstances mixing it up with the big boys doesn't really amuse me. DPRK already have their own legendary WC final appearance to their credit.

Contrast with the always dull USA team, perennial qualifiers and so so's in the WCs themselves. The most enduring image of them is Lalas' beard and Roy Wegerle. Even without the political baggage of war mongering i still wouldn't wish them well. Ditto Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Always dull usa team pfft you didnt see their recent game against italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Btw this isnt a political forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There shouldn't be any problem with match tickets for their games anyway. It would be nice to draw them if we qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

DPRK will be underdogs in every sense of the word next summer. Football is escapism and to wish ill on a team of people from such grim circumstances mixing it up with the big boys doesn't really amuse me. DPRK already have their own legendary WC final appearance to their credit.

Contrast with the always dull USA team, perennial qualifiers and so so's in the WCs themselves. The most enduring image of them is Lalas' beard and Roy Wegerle. Even without the political baggage of war mongering i still wouldn't wish them well. Ditto Russia.

usa very good side, wouldn't be surprised if they beat ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Course they will. But the endings of the games might be a little different there. North Korea will emerge victorious and glorious like the great nation it is! Kim Jong-Ill coming off the bench to score a hat trick against the Brazilians.

Hail Freedomness!

Just before each goal conceded they seemlessly insert a goal they scored during qualifiers.

The editing will be axcellent and no one will question that they won the WC.

I predict it to be at least as good as the radioactiveman movie.

legs11 wrote: »
    usa very good side, wouldn't be surprised if they beat ireland.

Have we arranged to play them as part of our effort to warm up the teams that qualify?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Football is escapism and to wish ill on a team of people from such grim circumstances mixing it up with the big boys doesn't really amuse me.
    I would be fearful for the team. Not qualifying for the World Cup might not have been a huge deal, but now that they have qualified, they will be expected to uphold the honour of their country on the world stage and not fail "our Great Leader".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Hope they knock-out England on penos;)

The bbc commentator mentioned how Iraqi players got jailed under the old regime during yesterdays bore fest. I could imagine a few North Koreans triyng to defect if they are deemed culpable for a goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think its great they qualified, after all it is a World Cup - would be great to see them play the USA too - add a bit of spice.

I don't think it would. I remember when the USA played Iran and it was a normal game of football.

Advertisement