Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of campers make me sick !!!

• 17-06-2009 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Even for an old one you'd pay mad money for looked everywhere on the net

What justifies the price's ?

Id love a camper to travel europe but seems so expensive how do you convince the other half that paying a lot of money for something rarely used and frankly doesnt look like what it costs is good value

Gimme a balaclava and a shotgun to rob the post office i might be able to get something decent then :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the vans have went up something like 6% the man in donneheys was saying yesterday and the value for most vans has fall dramaticly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

that's why I went to germany and bought and imported my own, making sure to avoid the VRT charge. I saved between 10-15k.

I will never buy a van here.
    I will drive my van to germany and trade it in again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Well the good thing is they have actually dropped a LOT in price the last year...i recently bought a bargain...and i spent a lot more than i had intended originally, however the way i look @ it is, they hold their value quite well so if i dont get the use out of it that i had hoped i wont lose a whole pile when i sell it on in a year or 2.
    So dont consider all your investment to be sunk!!
    Hope that softened the blow :D
    Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Even for an old one you'd pay mad money for looked everywhere on the net

Id love a camper to travel europe but seems so expensive how do you convince the other half that paying a lot of money for something rarely used and frankly doesnt look like what it costs is good value

Gimme a balaclava and a shotgun to rob the post office i might be able to get something decent then :mad:

In fairness they are quite pricey when they are new and the low usage of them helps slow depreciation. Up till recently the second hand prices have been overinflated but there are good deals to be had now if you shop around in Ireland or buy from Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

They are if you are just using it once a year for a trip to france. Personally I use mine about twice a month and two week holiday in the summer.
    I bought mine for 10k a few years ago and I will have it for a long time. Im sure prices have dropped in the last year or so as well.
    But I do agree if you are looking for something really fancy then you are talking crazy money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 4wheelin

Diffrent folks - different strokes - I agree they are expensive I didnt want to pay a fortune for one, so i spent a good while looking for 1 and eventually settled for 1989 left hand drive peugeot euromobil. It cost £5000 but ive toured the north of Scotland, lake district and all over ireland. Its got most of the mod cons - just looks a bit dated but I have no probs with that and in the 3 years i've had it i would easily say its paid for itself. Thats just my opinion others may agree or disagree. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

luckyfrank wrote: »

The price of building a new one, basically

A chassis cab from the manufacturer is ~ 15 -20 k to start with, depending on make and version

A special low slung ALKO rear frame (like it's used on some models) would add another ~ 3 k

Moulds for GRP bodies are expensive, so is oversized aluminium sheet

Building the cabin is all manual labour, very little is pre-fabricated

All the interior goodies (toilet, bathroom moulds, cookers, fridges, boilers, etc) are bought in at a guesstimated cost of another ~ 8 -10 k

Add to that the fact that the market demands umpteen different versions and layouts and ever more luxurious (looking) furniture and you end up with motorhomes that are almost once-offs and therefore very expensive.

So if your average motorhome costs 45-65 k new (and some more in Ireland because of VRT) you can understand that people want to recoup most of that when selling second hand, keeping in mind that they usually only had very little use of it.

Advertisement