Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I says to Abel, I says

• 17-06-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

"Leave me alone and stop grabbing me out of the air or rolling through fireballs".

Ok guys, very new to Street Fighter and Abel is one of my bogey characters - even in the hands of the AI. Any tips or tactics for defeating him? How can I stop his roll or his vicious grabs? It's tough to keep him far away and then once he's near, it's curtains!

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

As which character?

edit: Nothing beats his tornado throw, jump away or backdash. Roll you can throw him out of (though not EX roll I don't think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

His grab out of the air throw is the most dismissive move in the game. Love it.

Yeah, except it's ****e unless you're using it after crouching HP. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Well as I'm new to the game I'm trying out a few different characters...But I get to the Abel stage and fall apart!

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Awesome thread name btw :D

Well, I can only give you advice from Dhalsims perspective, as he is my main.

Thing to remember is, most of abels combo's involve a jump in. So watch out for that.

Stick fireball out followed by several pokes. Usually, he will jump over the fireball or roll through it. Either way, standing medium kick will hit him.

When he rolls at you, use back + heavy punch. Sim does a double headbutt that stuffs it and you can cancel into a yoga flame.

When he jumps in at you, back + heavy kick beats him every time. Sim sticks out a knee.

If he rolls and then jumps, You can either time a back + medium kick as he leaves the ground, or wait till he is in the air over you and use back + medium punch. Sim will do a little uppercut and beat abel down.

When abel has super metre or ultra meter....Fireball at full screen only. if you fireball any closer, his ultra will hit you. It is possible to block the ultra at full screen or to Yoga Tower over it.

When he knocks you down....he will likely charge towards you, and try to jump over you when you are getting up. this is called a crossup and will hurt. So, slide with medium kick when you see this coming, or teleport away.

To be honest, its just practice. You will take several beatings before you learn the matchup and even then, good abel players will frustrate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Keep him away, best method. I'm a Ryu player so keep the fireballs coming from distance. I think if you're full screen, you have time to shoryuken just as he recovers from the roll.

Really, you'd mostly beat him from distance and not really unleashing any deadly combos. Fight against him like you would against Zangief. Keep him away at all costs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Play Zangief, and just nooby-go-round & SPD all day. <_<

Yeah, I was gonna reply with that, but didn't you read the rules thread? :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

First warning KiKi.

The using of the offical word for Zangiefs spining closeline is prohibited on these forums.

I'd ask that you use so other term when referring to above move, such as the gay twirl or retarded 3 button mash move, or stupid I win spin, or the like.

Thank you for your co-operation on this matter.

A Dictator! He's a Dictator, I tells you!

*edit*
    But eh, Spingief. Spingief is so much easier to handle, now that I've got E.Honda! :pac:

• Advertisement

Easy way to beat Honda as Gief:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtkOLRuAXDY

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Easy way to beat Honda as Gief:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtkOLRuAXDY
    ... what?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mix up fireballs with an LP now and again once he comes close enough to hurt you with a roll. I do this with Guile alot when I know the pressure is on him/her to make a move and I am spamming Sonic Booms. They jump over a non existant projectile and you punish accorgingly.

Hes a tough charachter to beat when in the right hands and his Ultra is crazy good.

LOL
    Against Zangief though, Abel has close to no options:
    Roll will get you thrown, so that's useless.
    In my experience, attempting Terry kicks is unsafe unless at max distance.
    Attempting (and not landing) Rekka is very dangerous and will get you thrown.
    Tornado Throw is only safe if you use Jab-TT, and only if Gief has no Ultra/Super.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I think Gief Vs. Abel = Abel bitch slapped lol!

Then again, Gief can bitch slap anyone. His standing HP is just nasty!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

play as daniel. he's great for beginners :pac:

*runs and hides*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

play as daniel. he's great for beginners :pac:

yeah and if you keep doing that taunt where his arse sticks out, your opponent will die :D

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    ... what?

Just trying to avoid breaking the rules... :pac:

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I think Gief Vs. Abel = Abel bitch slapped lol!

Then again, Gief can bitch slap anyone. His standing HP is just nasty!

It's not really a case of HP in this matchup, I don't think - Abel just doesn't have any tools to beat Zangief reliably. In other matchups it's definitely a huge factor though - Gen vs Gief would be a lot more balanced if their HP was closer to one another's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCLFbUfYeco

Daigo (RY) vs Shiro (AB)

EX Rekka > fadc > c.hp > ultra = sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I just want to say i hate abel too. What a wanker.

I hate his really long block strings. You have to block and guess for about 20 minutes before you can hit him during those stupid change of direction moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

You can grab him from his rolls. Game over.

Bait with a fireball at mid range and then grab. If he jumps in, punish with your anti-air or back up if you dont have an anti-air. He's surprisingly easy to wtfpwn with this principle alone.

Other than that, unless you are playing a scrapper too, stay as far away as possible.

That only works provided you're fighting a really bad Abel. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hes king from tekken rebranded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He IS very alike Paul from tekken alright. The roll is very similar, the double kick move too.......the rekka stuff too.

I found that if he tries to roll throw you he throw fodder. If he rolls up short he get a roundhouse kick to face.

Problem is when he gets in off one god damn jumping kick which you block and then have to wait for his block strings. I just need to figure out a way of getting out of them and its back to Tuesday for me!

He has this really weird combo too where he rolls around crossing up and juggling you. I got caught by it the other night and it took about 80% of my health. I think it was more like a series of combos that looked like one combo, it ended in his elbow into ultra. I wish i had a replay of it.
    He seems like a bit of a gimmick character and once you figure him out hes probably not that hard.

bush wrote: »
    He has this really weird combo too where he rolls around crossing up and juggling you. I got caught by it the other night and it took about 80% of my health. I think it was more like a series of combos that looked like one combo, it ended in his elbow into ultra. I wish i had a replay of it.
    He seems like a bit of a gimmick character and once you figure him out hes probably not that hard.

Found a video of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ZloKNgOho&#t=3m57s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

bush wrote: »

I'va had that happen to me a good fe times,a guy I play on xbl has fearsome Abel.The worst thing is you get so disorientated you've no idea where to block,it's irritating.

Advertisement