Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxing a car thats well in arrears

• 17-06-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I need to get my car taxed tomorrow, its well in arrears, im sending someone in cause I can't do it myself.
    I think that all I need to do is fill out an RF100A, anyone know if theres anything else I might need? Would really appreciate help on this
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just ensure they've enough cash to pay for the full arrears ;) The council aren't going to bat an eyelid if its being paid; its money which they'll manage to spend very quickly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Fill out a form saying the car was off the road between the last month it was taxed and the start of this month. You can get it in any garda barracks. All you need is for a guard to stamp it and in to the tax office you go, no arrears to be paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fill out a form saying the car was off the road between the last month it was taxed and the start of this month. You can get it in any garda barracks. All you need is for a guard to stamp it and in to the tax office you go, no arrears to be paid

Yeah, don't worry about the whole "Any person making a false declaration, or who subsequently fails to notify any changes in the licensing particulars now furnished, including
    disposal of the vehicle is liable to heavy penalties. A licensing authority may require appropriate evidence as to the accuracy of particulars
    declared." thing, they don't mean that. feel free to put your friend in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

That would be a little risky seeing as I was pulled over months ago and issued a fine for no tax (which I didn't pay) resulting in my summons being in the post.
    Thanks all

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That would be illegal and also the car in this case was caught already. However, with ANPR in use on our roads, you could easily be caught making a false declaration.

Stop advising people to break the law!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

"Sell" your car to your mate and then get your mate to "sell" it back to you once the form comes back from Shannon, zero road tax to pay, fully legal :D

Anyone know the format of the NCT number, the RF100A asks for it and im not sure if its -

B1234567

or

kbannon wrote: »
    Stop advising people to break the law!

OP was already breaking the law by driving without tax. I just assumed the car wasn't being driven without tax as that would be illegal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

MYOB wrote: »
    Just ensure they've enough cash to pay for the full arrears ;) The council aren't going to bat an eyelid if its being paid; its money which they'll manage to spend very quickly...

Arrears are charged per month expired and are 20% higher than normal rate.
    Rates are available at motortax.ie

OP was already breaking the law by driving without tax. I just assumed the car wasn't being driven without tax as that would be illegal ;)
    If the OP was planning on taxing their car (ignoring the later fact that they were caught) then it was obviously used or kept in a public place. Therefore it requires tax which the OP is obviously getting.
    Advising them to evade tax is encouraging them to break the law - no two ways about it.
    Anyway, end of this part of the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

slimjimmc wrote: »

Was going to post "are you sure?" here cause of not being charged extra before, then went to read it; I've never paid more than 1 month arrears and it specifically states that its only those of over a month.:o Wasn't aware of this, useful to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    "Sell" your car to your mate and then get your mate to "sell" it back to you once the form comes back from Shannon, zero road tax to pay, fully legal :D

That actually does seem to be a fully legal loophole :D

Anybody else any comments on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it adds 2 extra owners to your car. only worth it if it's an old POS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

unkel wrote: »
    That actually does seem to be a fully legal loophole :D

Anybody else any comments on this?

would this be changing ownership to your mate then changing it back to your own name??? how would that avoid the tax?

slimjimmc wrote: »

Can't figure out this damn form. It's taxed till 10/08

I want to tax it till now. So do I put 6 months in arrears period then pay up till the 07/09 or do you pay arrears till 06/09 then then tax for 3 months?

Also I don't have the NCT cert, can't find it, I have the number but the form says it's something that needs to be included and can I pay in cash the form doesn't mention cash

MYOB wrote: »
    Was going to post "are you sure?" here cause of not being charged extra before, then went to read it; I've never paid more than 1 month arrears and it specifically states that its only those of over a month.:o Wasn't aware of this, useful to know.
    Surely the arrears are (possibly) still due by the original owner but not followed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

colly10 wrote: »
    Can't figure out this damn form. It's taxed till 10/08

I want to tax it till now. So do I put 6 months in arrears period then pay up till the 07/09 or do you pay arrears till 06/09 then then tax for 3 months?

I think you pay arrears up to and including 05/09 (7 months arrears).
    Anything for 06/09 and onwards is normal rate since you're up to date then.

Total : 7 mths arrears then 3mths normal tax (for June,Jul,Aug)

colly10 wrote: »
    Also I don't have the NCT cert, can't find it, I have the number but the form says it's something that needs to be included and can I pay in cash the form doesn't mention cash

I'm not 100% on this but I don't think they look for the NCT cert when taxing anymore. Can someone clarify? It might be different with such a long arrears period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

kbannon wrote: »
    Surely the arrears are (possibly) still due by the original owner but not followed up?

Original owner can just claim it was off the road, but who will ask?

We really should have a "SORN Statutory Off Road Notification" car tax system like other countries, if the car has not been formally sorn, then tax has to be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I taxed my sisters car yesterday, did not need to show proof of NCT, they were only too happy to get the money off me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If you used the "cannot tax car without NCT cert" you would be laughing. At least you could say you waited for NCT test date, and it look longer cause it failed a few times.

Advertisement