Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone censoring their own forum/"N97 Mini"

• 17-06-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, there's been a discussion on Vodafone's new customer interaction about the lack of recent handsets, and the fact that o2 will be offering the iphone, n97 and Palm Pre, whereas Vodafone will have the n97 Mini (Whatever that is) and nothing else.

I posted my dismay at the lack of handsets in comparisson to other operators, and my post was deleted. What's the point in having a forum for open dialogue if you're going to censor everything? And if anyone from Vodafone is reading - that's pretty pathetic on your part.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

That's pretty pathetic of vodafone. i've only been looking at O2 forums since announcement of new iPhone but there is healthy debate and criticism there. Mods easygoing enough with sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Modding needs some work alright... Theres a thread about the iphone and people are suggesting vodafone get with the times and bring out EDGE or 3G, saying that GPRS isnt enough. Its been going on for days and no mod has stepped in to say that vodafone does have 3G... strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I dont that is the case, from what i have seen they either try get what you ask of them or they will tell you otherwise. Im sure when daryll gets a second away from the new iphone he would confirm that they wouldn't sensor like vodafone seem to be.

The very first comment i made about the vodafone forum was "Hope they make a decent job of this otherwise they might as not have bothered" if they are going to be doing stuff like that well they wasted their time to begin with. Its like a bad PR stunt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Whatever about how they intend running it, it is possible that the person acting as moderator is just trying to get his head around things and may have jumpted the gun slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

If Vodafone take their new forum seriously, as I'm sure we all hope they do, then they should ensure that whomever is moderating it is completely confident in their role so situations such as those mentioned in the OP's first post do no occur. I can understand that people make mistakes, however, Vodafone have a habit of censoring any negativity aimed towards them so this form of moderation appears to be deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Here's where it gets interesting, the screenshot below shows me 'Eircell' asking a question about handset specifics, and Ev from Vodafone leaking out some information about a previously unknown n97 Mini handset coming on the market. Turns out we've caused a bit of a sensation online too if you google for "Nokia n97 Mini" (Use the quotes for an accurate search). It's apparently a whole new handset Vodafone were to say nothing about. Cat out of the bag eh?

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/screenshotn97mini.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Sounds more like one of those post a rumor on the web and see how much it gets reported on type jokes tbh seeing as no one in the various mobile related sites has heard even a peep about this mini N97. My bet is the mod got mixed up and really means the 5530 XM which kinda looks like the N97.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Knowing Vodafone the N97 mini will be nothing more than a N97 hobbled with a very restrictive Vodafone firmware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

N95 4gig anyone.? :)

Interested to see how the forum develops though. Looking around the staff seem slow to answer and seem more interested in welcoming everyone then getting down to basics.

It's early days though. I'm willing to give them a month to get things together. Then i'll feel justified in being very critical if things don't start to run a bit smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bren32

It seem like all mention of the N97 Mini is removed from the post now (without any explanation from Vodafone).

It's being reported all over the place now.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/06/18/vodafone-dude-mentions-n97-mini-confused-or-loose-lipped/

http://gizmodo.com/5294987/will-nokia-be-releasing-a-n97-mini-or-n97-lite-vodafone-thinks-so

It seems almost impossible to get a straight answer from them about new phones, everyone that asks seems to get a different answer. The form seemed to have nothing but vague answers from the mod.

bren32 wrote: »
    It seem like all mention of the N97 Mini is removed from the post now (without any explanation from Vodafone).

It's being reported all over the place now.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/06/18/vodafone-dude-mentions-n97-mini-confused-or-loose-lipped/

http://gizmodo.com/5294987/will-nokia-be-releasing-a-n97-mini-or-n97-lite-vodafone-thinks-so

Woot, look at all the trouble I've caused :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Ha... i use the forums there (username: tonyreilly) and it's just funny at this point. there are hundreds of results on google if you do a search for "N97 Mini"

It's maddening that they removed the best info from that thread, but i bet they didn't expect this to happen. It's a good then that only people with VF numbers can log in and comment!

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Woot, look at all the trouble I've caused :)

hehe...
    I think we hit them a little hard over there, but sure that what they should expect till they sort things out!

I'm not going to stop any time soon. I'm too frustrated by VF at the moment, and i would move to O2 only for their CRAP price plans! It's a loose loose situation at the moment.

B. (aka. tonyreilly)

The agent was quite specific that this would be a handset targetted towards reducing cost, and that the n97 Mini was going to be priced to suit the Irish Market. Doesn't seem that unclear to me - this guy/girl knew what they were talking about.

And now there's a very official response from VF saying :
    Some information posted here yesterday has been removed. We are not in a position to discuss the N97 at this point. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will update you in due course.

Note how it doesn't say 'some incorrect information'.

And now there's a very official response from VF saying :

Note how it doesn't say 'some incorrect information'.
    Indeed. I think you may have poked a hornets nest. :D

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Indeed. I think you may have poked a hornets nest. :D

he! is that the last we see of 'Ev from Vodafone'!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I hope he/she don't lose their job over that mistake.

I hope he/she don't lose their job over that mistake.

more than likely transferred back to (non-written) general customer care

Back on the phones, the ultimate demotion. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 alfagt

It's spreading like a fire on a hot windy day in California! Stuff have it as one of the main headlines on their website, Here

alfagt wrote: »
    It's spreading like a fire on a hot windy day in California! Stuff have it as one of the main headlines on their website, Here

as they say no such thing as bad publicity. Vodafone need to keep people believing they have something decent around the corner even if it is only a mini N97.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Good work PaintDoctor - I've been reading that thread on vodafone :)

On the modding issue I'm gonna cut them a bit of slack as it's only just started ans the mods prob didn't know what to expect.
    Hopefully it will be sorted out soon, at least some of the mods know their stuff and seem pretty helpful.

If this supposed mini N97 leak turns out to be true, it may just be one of the best leaks in recent memory. The fact that it has already gained traction among several popular gadget sites just goes to show that people should be extremely careful in what information is given to the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Maybe the mod whats to be famous :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

woo 3 of us in this thread are famous now. Will I make a "leave Ev alone" videos for youtube ha ha.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    woo 3 of us in this thread are famous now. Will I make a "leave Ev alone" videos for youtube ha ha.

Make sure you be as dramatic as possible and swear a lot as that way you can have an "unrated version". How awesome is that!? :D

Advertisement