Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone censoring their own forum/"N97 Mini"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Apparently, someone somewhere has seen photos of an n97 without a Dpad. The plot thickens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Could be hogwash, but it's a comment on engadgetmobile.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

Going round the world :):)

Romanian
    O N97 mini é referenciado por alguém da Vodafone Irlanda num dos foruns do operador.
    Ev da Vodafone, é assim que assina, refere a existência de um mini N97 que será lançado mais para o final do ano a um preço bastante competitivo.

Dutch
    18 juni 2009 - Op internet is het gerucht opgedoken dat Vodafone en Nokia later dit jaar komen met een kleinere editie van de Nokia N97 - de Nokia N97 Mini.

Vietnamese
    Đồn thổi về N97 Mini xuất phát từ forum của nhà mạng Vodafone, theo đó, máy sẽ xuất hiện vào cuối năm nay. Đây là một chiếc smartphone gọn gàng, có thể bị rút gọn tính năng, và giá bán thấp. Hiện tại, chưa có thông tin về cấu hình, thiết kế của model mới.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would say it is the agent getting confused. It's the first mention of this alleged model ever on the interweb.
    mik_da_man wrote: »
    On the modding issue I'm gonna cut them a bit of slack as it's only just started ans the mods prob didn't know what to expect.
    Hopefully it will be sorted out soon, at least some of the mods know their stuff and seem pretty helpful.

I suppose that's the difference between modding there and modding the likes of here.

I'm only accountable to you guys and the Admins. My boss won't be coming knocking on the door if/when I make a mistake like that.

Trust me, they will live and learn. I know I did. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I would say it is the agent getting confused. It's the first mention of this alleged model ever on the interweb.

I think you are right.

It will likely just the same device with half the amount of memory or something simple like that so that the cost can be reduced.

It could also be a the N97i or something similar to the way that the N95 and every other Nokia flagship became an i model 6 months later (6310 > 6310i (blue LED screen), 8910 > 8910i (colour screen), 6610 > 6610i (camera) and countless other examples that escape my memory).

Something defo been made or nothing here.

It could also be a the N97i or something similar to the way that the N95 and every other Nokia flagship became an i model 6 months later (6310 > 6310i (blue LED screen), 8910 > 8910i (colour screen), 6610 > 6610i (camera) and countless other examples that escape my memory).
    Apparently, someone somewhere has seen photos of an n97 without a Dpad. The plot thickens!

Nokia N97 versus Nokia N97i = no dpad and capacitive screen :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I would say it is the agent getting confused.

could be, over the years the lack of knowledge by some Vodafone personnel on their products / handsets hasn't been great... even the website has had some clangers with handset spec details
    (6310 > 6310i (blue LED screen)

think the dual - tri-band was the biggie in that 'upgrade'
    Something defo been made of nothing here.

sure can you not check with yer colleagues or are you not working in there anymore?

think the dual - tri-band was the biggie in that 'upgrade'

That it was :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Not at all surprising. They also block quite a few sites, some of which aren't that controversial.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure the agent was confused - they seemed very clear that this was a handset, being offered at a reduced price with reduced features. It's probably a 4 gig n97 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'm not so sure the agent was confused - they seemed very clear that this was a handset, being offered at a reduced price with reduced features. It's probably a 4 gig n97 or something.

Although "Ev" mentioned an "N97 mini", I would agree that it was most likely an anecdotal way of saying that it is an N97 with lower specifications, as opposed to the actual name of the handset. Not only would it go against Nokia's naming conventions, it would most definitely been seen as a "me too" effort when compared with Apple's line of "mini" products, e.g. iPod mini, Mac mini and the "supposed" iPhone mini.

Whatever happens, I'm eagerly anticipating the end result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Rsaeire wrote: »

Him getting the sack :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If Alpha IT made phones they would be the best damn phones on the market. Voda or o2? Who needs em. Alpha Mobile all the way tbh. (Free for Boards.ie users, T&C apply.) :p

Anywhome.. Interesting. Voda would easily just say that its incorrect to kick people of the scent you know, but since the agent seemed to talk as if it was common knowledge and nobody has any information on it - I would assume there is no such item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Although "Ev" mentioned an "N97 mini", I would agree that it was most likely an anecdotal way of saying that it is an N97 with lower specifications, as opposed to the actual name of the handset. Not only would it go against Nokia's naming conventions, it would most definitely been seen as a "me too" effort when compared with Apple's line of "mini" products, e.g. iPod mini, Mac mini and the "supposed" iPhone mini.

Here ya are lads. From the Irish Times today...I wouldn't be getting too excited about a stripped down N97...

"Vodafone not to offer new Nokia phone

NOKIA’S N97 may be one of the most eagerly anticipated handsets from the Finnish handset maker but Ireland’s largest mobile operator, Vodafone, has told The Irish Times it will not be offering it to customers. Instead, the operator says it will launch a stripped-down version of the N97, which it calls the N97 Mini.

“Due to the N97 Mini’s competitive pricing, we feel that it will appeal to a wider segment of consumers,” the company said in a statement. Vodafone declined to give any further information.

O2, Meteor and 3 Ireland all said they intend to sell the N97 but none was able to provide a launch date or expected pricing. Nokia says it expects its new phone to be available in Ireland in August, but interest from operators suggests it may be earlier than this.

The N97 goes on sale in Britain today. It is only available in Nokia’s flagship store on Regent’s St in London with wider availability expected from next Friday.

Although it costs €499 directly from Nokia without a Sim-card, Nokia expects operator subsidies to reduce the price to £35 (€41) or less with a contract.

The iPhone 3G S goes on sale in Ireland, exclusively through O2, also next Friday. Although neither side discusses the nature of the contract, it is safe to assume that Apple has lengthened the term of its deal which means the iPhone is an O2-only product."

Did you read the article you just posted, or just the headline? The article repeats the information we've been saying, the Headline just means the normal n97.
    I wouldn't be getting too excited about a stripped down N97...
    Instead, the operator says it will launch a stripped-down version of the N97, which it calls the N97 Mini.

Did you read the article you just posted, or just the headline? The article repeats the information we've been saying, the Headline just means the normal n97.

yes I read the article. Vodafone have confirmed they are releasing a stripped down version which people were surmising in above posts. I dont think a stripped down version is anything to be excited about or anything Vodafone have to shout about.

Completely my mistake, sorry, I thought when you said "I wouldn't be getting too excited" you meant it wouldn't be happening. :o

np! i was a bit confused by your response! but I think its desperate times for Vodafone in the smartphone segment.

np! i was a bit confused by your response! but I think its desperate times for Vodafone in the smartphone segment.

After the debacle that was the Blackberry Storm Vodafone need something to renew consumers' interest in their handset collection, but unfortunately they don't seem to have any future handset releases that are in anyway desirable.

• Advertisement

“Due to the N97 Mini’s competitive pricing, we feel that it will appeal to a wider segment of consumers,” the company said in a statement. Vodafone declined to give any further information.

Although it costs €499 directly from Nokia without a Sim-card, Nokia expects operator subsidies to reduce the price to £35 (€41) or less with a contract.

Translation: Due to lack of competition in the Irish market we will be marketing the N97 in a much more profitable way. Odds are the N97 "Mini" will still cost
    as much, or more here, than the proper N97 does in the U.K.

Incidentally, IIRC, you can get a Vodafone UK contract in Newry, with a southern address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

Thats word for word what EV said, unless he has been promoted from forum mod to PR guru, the Irish Times have just lifted that from the tinternet

round and round in circles! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

to me its the same as wanting a 3 series BMW and buying a 316. all show no go. but will sell obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Another example of censorship.....

One poster started a thread on how poor he felt VFs upgrade offers were. He stated that even though he spends a considerable amount of money each month, his upgrade price on a new handset was more than a new customer purchasing the handset on the VFs lowest Perfect Choice tariff.

I happened to mention that if he was out of contact he could switch to another network and then return to VF at a later date thereby obtaining the handset at the 'new customer' price.

VF forum mods swung into action and deleted the whole thread....

'problem.... what problem... i see no problem'

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Another example of censorship.....

One poster started a thread on how poor he felt VFs upgrade offers were. He stated that even though he spends a considerable amount of money each month, his upgrade price on a new handset was more than a new customer purchasing the handset on the VFs lowest Perfect Choice tariff.

I happened to mention that if he was out of contact he could switch to another network and then return to VF at a later date thereby obtaining the handset at the 'new customer' price.

VF forum mods swung into action and deleted the whole thread....

'problem.... what problem... i see no problem'

Have a look at my post:
    https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/11-upcoming-smartphones/page__view__findpost__p__299

They have censored all reference to any other carrier there!! Complete Madness!! I bet they are glad that only actual VF customers can post on the forums!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

and there is little point to the censorship as people will just make their comments or ask their questions freely on boards.ie while criticising VF for the censorship.

the end result being question asked or comment made anyway plus bad publicity for VF.

O2 are most definitely ahead when it comes to forum policy and moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

n97 mini is gonna suck monkey ass. Boo

And so the plot thickens...!

minin9701-07-29-09.jpg

minin9702-07-29-09.jpg

• Advertisement

Is it just me, or is that a smaller lens?

I wasn't sure if i was going to get the N97 or hold out for the Saito... but if Vodafone don't reckon they can sell a proper N97, they're unlikely to give the Satio a second glance

So out of the two possible phones i may buy next, they probably aren't going to carry either.

Fan-bloody-tastic.

Advertisement