Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do I know what broadband server I'm on?

Options
  • 17-06-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi All,

I got a phonecall from eircom recently telling me that they were upgrading me from a 3mb to a 7mb line. Fantastic I thought but now I'm not so sure. It seemed to have gotten much much slower.

Using sppedtest.net I tried to check it out. I am living just outside Limerick on the Dublin road so assume the Limerick server is the one that I am on.

Before I would get download speeds of 2.3-2.7 all the time on the 3mb line. Now my download speed NEVER makes it over 0.31mb/s!!!!

I tried just to check getting speedtest to run through the Galway server and imagine my surprise when I got speeds of over 6mb/s. Does anyone know how I can check which server I'm going through? Either way it seems I have some sort of a problem with my connection.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's nothing to do with servers.

Most likely your line cannot handle the higher speed, and your modem will keep dropping and trying to re-sync, while giving you crappy speeds. eircom should not have upgraded you if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

sorry im pretty crap at this sort of thing. Not really sure how I log into my router to check line stats?

at work at the moment but will read up on it when i get home and try to give it a go.

Cheers.

Advertisement