Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best breakfast under 10 euro in City Centre

Options
  • 17-06-2009 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Myself and a friend are trying the last few weeks to find the best breakfast near the city centre. Now it's pretty much a given that the best breakfast in Dublin is in Kennedy's of Fairview (Fancy sausages, rashers, pudding, eggs, choice of bread, choice of how your eggs done, gourmet coffee, all for reasonable price.)
    We work near the city centre so Kennedys is out, but we've been hunting up n down Wexford street, Dame Street, South William, Henry Street.

So far we've been dissapointed by the place just up from The International Bar (Place that has the toilets downstairs just as you come in).
    Today we had an improvement but it was still cheap sausages, deli counter streaky rashers, no pudding, bread was decent, good coffee. That was in the place in Temple Bar with the West Coast Coffee sign advertising "Gourmet breakfast 6.95". Don't know how it can be called Gourmet when the Sausages were only slightly better than those God damn all pervasive cheapest of the cheap Dublin Breakfast cafe sausages.
    Next on our list is Lemon Jelly over near the Italian Quarter near the Quays.
    Any reports on Lemon Jelly before we try it?

Does anyone know anywhere that serves:
    Good sausages (Not those country-wide cheap Breakfast Cafe things)
    Good rashers
    Good pudding
    Decent toast or bread.

What must tourists think trying to eat breakfast in Dublin? They must have to stick to muffins and pastries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Thats easy, it's Del Rio's on Malborough St, opposite the Abbey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the earl on earl street, lovely brekkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Nothing worse than "fancy sausages", when they put herbs and garlic or something in them.
    Matt the Rashers on sundrive.
    Or the Breakfast Special in Cafe Java, not a fry, but fantastic

Quint wrote: »
    Nothing worse than "fancy sausages", when they put herbs and garlic or something in them.
    Matt the Rashers on sundrive.
    Or the Breakfast Special in Cafe Java, not a fry, but fantastic

monto a few doors up is better, imo

monto a few doors up is better, imo

Matt the Rashers will replace the liver and give you something else instead if you get the famous breakfast now!
    And it always has cute chicks working there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

where can i get some lovely pancakes?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

where can i get some lovely pancakes?:D

Only place off the top of my head is McD's for pancakes. Pancakes and syrup, or pancakes and a sausage burger

http://mcdonalds.ie/MMMMenu/Breakfast.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

I'll qualify about fancy sausages, what I meant it's what you would consider high quality when looking in a good butchers or supermarket. I don't mean they're filled with Coriander n Sea Scallop essence.

The places recommend so far are the sausages good, because most places we've looked you see the usual ones on peoples plates n we just look elswhere.
    N the large breakfast thread that was elsewhere on boards proved useless (Restaurant Royale was in their ffs), n everyone was obsessed with plates jammed with beans, n chips, n god knows what.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Keogh's on Trinity St have a good breakfast, they have this brunch with very skinny fries. Their scones are amazing, obv.

Once went to an Italian chipper next to Spar on Marlborough St, might be called Cinelli's, tasty and inclusive Italian chipper chips. Down the street, there's a place called Maxi or something, yellow sign. Gorgeous breakfast in there but bizarrely not open til 9, might actually be closed.

Might be a bit out there but I wandered into Kavanagh's on Dorset St on a Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago and got their all-day breakfast. Beyond the lack of standard tea and the fact that everyone around me was either eating a carvery or just drunk, I couldn't fault it. They make it fresh and everything tasted a bit better than normal.

Btw, Kylemore in Stephen's Green has its moments. I honestly think it depends on who's cooking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I'd have to say that I do like the Kylemore (St Stephen's Green) breakfasts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

pjbrady1 wrote: »
    Myself and a friend are trying the last few weeks to find the best breakfast near the city centre. Now it's pretty much a given that the best breakfast in Dublin is in Kennedy's of Fairview (Fancy sausages, rashers, pudding, eggs, choice of bread, choice of how your eggs done, gourmet coffee, all for reasonable price.)
    We work near the city centre so Kennedys is out, but we've been hunting up n down Wexford street, Dame Street, South William, Henry Street.

So far we've been dissapointed by the place just up from The International Bar (Place that has the toilets downstairs just as you come in).
    Today we had an improvement but it was still cheap sausages, deli counter streaky rashers, no pudding, bread was decent, good coffee. That was in the place in Temple Bar with the West Coast Coffee sign advertising "Gourmet breakfast 6.95". Don't know how it can be called Gourmet when the Sausages were only slightly better than those God damn all pervasive cheapest of the cheap Dublin Breakfast cafe sausages.
    Next on our list is Lemon Jelly over near the Italian Quarter near the Quays.
    Any reports on Lemon Jelly before we try it?

Does anyone know anywhere that serves:
    Good sausages (Not those country-wide cheap Breakfast Cafe things)
    Good rashers
    Good pudding
    Decent toast or bread.

What must tourists think trying to eat breakfast in Dublin? They must have to stick to muffins and pastries.

Slightly OT but is Kennedys in Fairview the one just before the end of Fairview Strand before you turn on to the Malahide Road?(Next door to Toolans the bookies?)

Maxi the best in the city centre that I have been to....

Brgds
    Johnny

I'll qualify about fancy sausages, what I meant it's what you would consider high quality when looking in a good butchers or supermarket. I don't mean they're filled with Coriander n Sea Scallop essence.

The places recommend so far are the sausages good, because most places we've looked you see the usual ones on peoples plates n we just look elswhere.
    N the large breakfast thread that was elsewhere on boards proved useless (Restaurant Royale was in their ffs), n everyone was obsessed with plates jammed with beans, n chips, n god knows what.

the ones in Matt the Rashers are award winning! they're small but they give you 3. and if you don't want the liver you can get an extra 3 instead. It's out of town though!
    For pancakes you could try Lemon. There's one on the bottom of dawson street and the bottom of william street south. Never actually had them, but their french toast is savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

When I lived in the city centre a few years back I used a cafe next to the fruit market,I think it was called Kevins.

You'd get the full works on the plate,It was frequented by the market workers and if its still open is worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

Thanks for replies guys. I couldn't find Brendans of Smithfield today (where is that?)

However we discovered Wolfes of Capel Street. It's about ten doors down from the Quays side of Capel Street near that Party Cake bakery.
    They seem to have wine, n dinners, n pastries but we seenthe breakfast advertised Two Sausage, two rasher, toast, mushrooms n eggs for 7.50.
    I'll let ye know what it's like. Reckon they'll have to serve up good food given the other stuff they are trying to sell in there. If that's good it could prove popular for others nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thanks for replies guys. I couldn't find Brendans of Smithfield today (where is that?)
    Brendan's is my favourite spot for a good breakfast. It's on Mary's Lane, between Little Green Street and George's Hill - opposite the Corporation Fruit & Vegetable market. Don't be expecting anything fancy decor wise!

MarysLaneBrendansCoffeeShop-2.jpg
    sneem-man wrote:
    few years back I used a cafe next to the fruit market,I think it was called Kevins.
    Do you mean 'Paddy's Place' in the market? It's long closed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

Oops,I had the wrong name.

Brendans was the place

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

The Kingfisher on Parnell Street.

Almost greasey.... But not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Slightly OT but is Kennedys in Fairview the one just before the end of Fairview Strand before you turn on to the Malahide Road?(Next door to Toolans the bookies?)

I think thats Brahms which does a good fry itself btw.

There's a place near the level crossing and the AIB HQ on the dart line between landsdowne and sandymount. Can't remember the name but a good breakfast there.

What about Manhattan around from the Bleeding horse for a lovely fry up at 3 in the morning!;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jkmanc1974 wrote: »

That's Bram's - Kennedy's is closer to town, just up from Gaffney's pub on the way towards Ballybough.

My own favourite breakfast in that area is from Let's Eat on North Strand Road, opposite the old cinema. Not at all greasy. Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Hobarts in Ranelagh, quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 LRBT

Elephant and Castle in Temple Bar does a great breakfast. They have pancakes and the full Irish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Cornicopia on Exchequer st/Wexford st do an amazing veggie brekkie for under a tenner. It constantly makes The Dubliner Mags top 10 meals in dublin for less than a tenner list!!!

Now don't be letting the fact it is veggie put you off :D I have brought many a carnivore in and they all loved it...esp the sausages!!

OP you should try it...go on be brave!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Have to say I was a bit disappointed with Brahms after reading rave reviews here. Best one that we go to is upstairs in the Country Kitchen in Howth. It's beside the church in the village. Great brekkie with the works all under a tenner. (not city centre, but if you are out that direction on a weekend morning)

spurious wrote: »
    My own favourite breakfast in that area is from Let's Eat on North Strand Road, opposite the old cinema. Not at all greasy. Nyom.
    Sorry to break it to ye but I think its closed down!
    WindSock wrote: »
    Have to say I was a bit disappointed with Brahms after reading rave reviews here. Best one that we go to is upstairs in the Country Kitchen in Howth. It's beside the church in the village. Great brekkie with the works all under a tenner. (not city centre, but if you are out that direction on a weekend morning)

Well if you are going that far out then The House, a couple doors up from Country kitchen is brilliant. Serves brunch on sundays till about 4 too! Great fry up, also pancakes and even homemade beans instead of tinned ones. But a little more expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry to break it to ye but I think its closed down!

No, it's still there. Crazily, it doesn't open on Sundays to catch the brunch gang, but it's fairly busy other days.

Unless you mean the cinema, which is indeed closed down, since 1970 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What about Manhattan around from the Bleeding horse for a lovely fry up at 3 in the morning!;)
    The Manhattan on Harcourt Road.

HarcourtRoadManhattan-3.jpg

gone for good, sadly.

the gigs does a nice late night breakfast

No, it's still there. Crazily, it doesn't open on Sundays to catch the brunch gang, but it's fairly busy other days.

Oh right, I'm pretty sure then it has a To Let sign on it though.

The Manhattan on Harcourt Road.

HarcourtRoadManhattan-3.jpg

Ah no!
    I never said goodbye:(. Just one last fry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

That's Bram's - Kennedy's is closer to town, just up from Gaffney's pub on the way towards Ballybough.

My own favourite breakfast in that area is from Let's Eat on North Strand Road, opposite the old cinema. Not at all greasy. Nyom.[/quote

Cheers for the clarification, not been up that way in a good while....

Brgds
    Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Gerry's on Montague St., just off Wexford St.!

Advertisement