Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An awful wild week!!

• 17-06-2009 11:07pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

What a week it was here it started with young crow that I came across who couldn't fly great and was looking a bit under the weather. I'd say he was a fledgling that fell from a nest so I took him in for a night and he only took water in a dropper from me. Next morning he was cawing away and had eaten some food I left him he seemed perkier though. so I returned him to where I got him in a isolated hayshed with food and water and kept an eye on him. unfortunatly two days later he died! I think he must be hurt internally as he was wobbly on his legs and had no visible damage.

The day I had the young crow at the house my brother arrived up with a tiny fledgling he found on the ground beside the tractor so I tried to give him some water and it was impossible his beak was so small. We put him on the roof of the tractor with straw around him hoping his mother might rescue him, he was dead a few hours later.

Yesterday evening was walking up to the house and I met a hedgehog ambling along where the car is parked, he didn't take a bit of notice of me or the cat. I hadn't seen a live hedgehog in years and he was fairly big I was thrilled. so I offered him some milk and water mixed but he wasn't interested and he set off over the road. We kept an eye on him and he spent the night under some trees. I felt he wasn't right though, but I left him alone. This morning he was dead too.

I just said what a bad week.....
    sorry for the long post....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Never bread or milk for hedgehogs!

Cat food would be ok but with all the slugs about he/she shouldn't need anything.

I can never understand why people think Dairy milk is ok for other species, no one was designed to be drinking milk beyond infancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

how did the hedgehog die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

What an unfortunate series of events :( I had a kamikaze bird fly into the side of my moving car today. I looked in the wing mirror to see wtf had hit me and saw him flutter back into the bushes but he'd got an awful wallop...don't fancy his chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

1) There was probably nothing wrong with the young Crow. You should really leave young birds where you find them. 99% of the time they are fine and the parents are aware of them. Taking it in for hours did it no favours whatsoever.
    2) The same applied to the bird your brother brought home. If it was a fledgling than the parents would look after it (but not if you take it away and leave it somewhere else some time later).
    Please please leave young birds alone!
    3) Don't ever give Hedgehogs milk! It will cause them all kinds of bother and may kill them. If you saw the Hedgehog in daylight then there was probably something wrong with it as they are nocturnal and are usually sick if out in daylight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

littlebug wrote: »
    What an unfortunate series of events :( I had a kamikaze bird fly into the side of my moving car today. I looked in the wing mirror to see wtf had hit me and saw him flutter back into the bushes but he'd got an awful wallop...don't fancy his chances.

A beautifull Thrush flew into my windsreen on Sunday and broke its neck. I'm still upset about it and only hope that if it had chicks, there old enough to be fledged by the remaining adult:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement