Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm being let go!

Options
  • 17-06-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Ok so its a common title I know but unlike some. I'm being let go for time keeping :( It's sad. HR called me in and handed me a letter saying i've a month left. they have warned me before on it and I got on top of it but in the last month i've had several lates all legitamate reasons. one time I didn't call was because I was being carted off to the doc for personal reasons.

My question is. Do you think I should approach HR and ask for a last chance? They cannot give me any more probation contracts but if they could even extend it after the month ended i'd be delighted. I'll live if they dont because i've got my bills covered for now.
    What do you think? Its only hitting me now on day 2 that I really and truely f**ked up big time.

In fairness there were times when I just slept in beyond my alarm and they have been fair with their warnings so its not like i'm slating them. In fact i'd nearly praise them
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Are you on probation at the moment or permenant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

No harm in talking to HR. The worst thing they can say is no. Having said that, many companies are looking for an excuse to let people go without having to pay redundancy and you walked right into it. Unfortunate but judging from your post you know yourself that it's your own fault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Probation at the moment. They had me on it and the end of this one is one year so they can't renew afaik. Other than the time keeping issues i was generally a good performer

waraf wrote: »
    No harm in talking to HR. The worst thing they can say is no. Having said that, many companies are looking for an excuse to let people go without having to pay redundancy and you walked right into it. Unfortunate but judging from your post you know yourself that it's your own fault

I know and understand that. Sure they've let others go but thats another story.
    I completly accept this was my fault and i've had chances to fix it. I'm just not great with mornings. I've been working on it lately with great effort. Things like gettin off this in 10mins and stuff like that!

It'd be a bitch to lose this job. Its a handy number and to be honest I don't want to go on the dole. Not out of snobbery but because I'd feel bad to the people who are still working.

I've offered to do some extra work on the side to "offset" some missed time " off the clock".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

congo_90 wrote: »
    I completly accept this was my fault and i've had chances to fix it. I'm just not great with mornings. I've been working on it lately with great effort. Things like gettin off this in 10mins and stuff like that!It'd be a bitch to lose this job. Its a handy number and to be honest I don't want to go on the dole. Not out of snobbery but because I'd feel bad to the people who are still working.

I've offered to do some extra work on the side to "offset" some missed time " off the clock".

Are you saying that you're on the internet in the morning before work and you have been late because of it?

Sorry to hear you're losing your job, but if you've been late several times in the last month and you didn't call or get someone to call on your behalf because you were at the doctor, your employer is probably just sick of it and possibly doesn't believe all the different excuses 'legitimate reasons' you've given them. I think if you're on probation and have been given written notice you don't really have a way back.

• Advertisement

I called in all but twice in the period they were talking about. I had docs notes to cover it. I guess your right. I'll see towards maybe the last week around July sure what have I to lose? Until then the job hunt continues. Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I called in all but twice in the period they were talking about. I had docs notes to cover it. I guess your right. I'll see towards maybe the last week around July sure what have I to lose? Until then the job hunt continues. Thanks for the replies!

Perhaps for future reference, calling in to say you won't be in is considered good manners whether you have a doctor's note or not. Your employer is not psychic and is not going to know your lateness/absence is because you are at the doctor. A call of the type 'I'm sick, I won't be in today, I'm going to the doctor and will be able to provide a medical cert' would go a long way in future employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Are you saying that you're on the internet in the morning before work and you have been late because of it?

I expect he means that he was going to head to bed in 10 minutes and that part of the reason he has been sleeping in is that he has being going to bed late.

If you rent, you should move house closer to where you work. It gives you more time to sleep in the mornings.

OP, How late have you been sleeping in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Request a meeting with HR
    It's possible this can be reversed, though as said it's a quick and easy way to let staff go.

Oh and don't be posting on boards past 11pm :)

Even if you have a docters note you should still be calling in.
    If you can't get a teamleader get a manager. And if they are not around get the receptionist.
    Texting your mates to tell your teamleader is never ok! (not that you did this )

You have to talk to somebody, not an answering machine.
    And if you start at 9am then you need to have this done by 9:10 at the latest
    Realy, you won't go wrong with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I completly accept this was my fault and i've had chances to fix it. I'm just not great with mornings. I've been working on it lately with great effort. Things like gettin off this in 10mins and stuff like that!

It'd be a bitch to lose this job. Its a handy number and to be honest I don't want to go on the dole. Not out of snobbery but because I'd feel bad to the people who are still working.

Not handy enough to come in on time? Seriously there are people who would kill for a job now, why wouldn't the company get rid of someone who's already been warned about time keeping and still can't manage to get in on time?

Sorry not to be sympathetic, but it is really your own fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

if you go back to HR asking for 'one more chance' do you really think you'll be able to get into work on time every day of every week without lapsing back into your old habbits? i don't think so, and neither will your HR department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thebusoflife

I understand the predicament you've gotten yourself into. But as a previous Poster mentionned, it's mainly your own doing. Ya should be holdin onto your job like it's life or death!! As I'm un-employed myself, I have NO sympathy for you!

As an after-thought, will they be hiring some-one to replace you? What's the Location? And what type of work is it?

Sorry just couldn't resist adding that in lol!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You where late several times will on probabation frankly I am surprised you got a months notice.

Lesson learnt for your next job;)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Zambia232 wrote: »
    You where late several times will on probabation frankly I am surprised you got a months notice.

Lesson learnt for your next job;)

This really doesnt help, did you even read the OPs question? I think they know that they were in the wrong.

Op you said that you were conidered a good performer within your organisation, why dont you try and ask your manager or supervisor to help you plead your case to HR, it cant do any harm at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I think you have nothing to lose by asking for another chance. If they say no, you're not in any worse situation than you were.

As an aside, I'm not good at waking up in the morning either. So now I have three separate alarms which go off in my room at different times. That way, if one doesn't wake me up, another one does. Seeing as you've run into trouble with being punctual, it might be worth looking into having a setup like this. Might it be worth telling HR you're doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I had trouble getting in to work on time in the first few months of my job. I was always 15ish minutes late and it was completely due to the buses (I live at the last stop before the bus hits the centre of town so they were always full when trying to get in for 8.30). I talked to my manager about it and arranged to start work 15 minutes later and finish 15 minutes later. Since then, I'm rarely late.

Employers can help by being flexible too, although I suppose that depends on what kind of job you have. Perhaps you could discuss something like this with HR? As other posters have said - you have nothing to lose.

I also have terrible trouble getting up in the morning, I hate it, but its part of life and its your responsiblity to get yourself out of bed and in to work on time. You said the company have been very good about warnings etc so I wouldnt be too hopeful that they'll keep you on but as said above, its worth a try and this is a valuable lesson to be on time in future.

Hey all sorry haven't been on in a bit.. Been busy working on a new sleeping plan (diet etc)
    Anyways for those who have no sympathy for me. I don't blame yas at all. This is completly My fault and I accept it. I can't stress enough that when I'm running late I am genuinely stressing over this. It's not like I wake up and say f*ck this, 10 more mins in bed.

My team leader always helped praise me and was always asking if he could do anything. For those looking for the job. The position is not being put up. This is why I'm fighting for that "one more chance" Even if they gave me this month here to turn over. I'm in 15mins early now and working longer hours to show this.

I still think I should approach but perhaps do it sooner rather than later. HR has been nice enough to me to offer advise and help in anything from references to cv's.

I'll keep you all posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

You may be let go as a general cost-cutting exercise of the company, the lateness thing and the fact that you have been on a probationary contract gave them an excuse to get rid of you easier than the other members of the team...most likely reason. The other members of the team will take lessons from this also.

Well as promised the update is not good. They're not in a position to keep me on right now. It is sad but clearly my fault. I take responsibility for my actions.

Hr had a word with me recently to verify this. I've a meeting soon enough to discuss the final pay and P45 etc.
    Please do not slate me from my original post. This is stressful as is and i've been looking for jobs only to get those stupid marketing places.

Another person is deciding on leaving but they're not actually hiring anybody to replace us. They may take on someone they have on file already so no, there is no job opening for yas sorry.

Anyways I never saw myself heading for the dole and taking money out of tax payers pockets but I, like many have financial ends to meet.

Thanks to all who replied (good or bad).

Advertisement