Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOS

Options
  • 17-06-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting the MOS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook certs. Are they worth getting? Would they get me a handy IT job? Or are they a waste of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

those certs are to improve your office skills for Office workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Ditto above

For a technical job I wouldnt even include them on my CV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Microsoft Office skills are basic skills that any office worker should have. They will help you get a job working in office administration, not an IT job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Which would you recommend for IT?

MCP's are the old qualification but still recognised or if you really want to be adventurous go with MCITP's

Depending where you live there are loads of training centres around who can advise you.

Are you technical? Do you work as an Admin?

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Well I'm only 20. I have an ECDL. I have a PC Maintenance FETAC Minor Level 6 in Computer Operating Systems & Networking and City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in IT Systems Support. I'll be doing the A+ and N+ soon. Any advice?

In my opinion A+ and N+ are a waste of time start working on microsoft exams if you want to get a job..

Not to say they arent worth having the A+ covers a lot of hardware and the N+ covers loads of great Network theory but the certification isnt worth a lot if your looking for a sys admin role

David

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I wouldn't agree that the A+ and Network + are a complete waste of time, they are slightly outdated but they do give you a basic introduction and you can also use them as to count for an MCP.

They could help in getting an entry level helpdesk role..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

A+ and N+ could be worth looking at when you're just starting off. IIRC, FÁS do CompTIA courses, check the website. While these certs aren't worth much in comparison to a CCNA or an MCSE, they'll at least show that you're taking the initiative to further your education, and you never know which door they might get your foot in.

Advertisement