Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rifle

Options
  • 18-06-2009 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi lads,

I've been stalking the forum for a while now but have a question :)
    I have been shooting for a few years now both shotgun and rifle.
    I have a CZ 452 .22 and really only use it for shooting vermin like rabbits and crows and ther odd fox.
    My question is what is the best upgrade for me to be able to shoot at greater distance and more accurately.
    I have read that a .223 round is pretty powerful and also reasonably cheap to fire.

Is the .220 a better option??

Would my existing .22 license cover me to purchase a .223 or .220 calibre without a re apply?
    What is the average cost of a decent box of ammo for same?
    What is the maximum range for a clean kill and/or accurate group of a .223/.220 rifle

Sorry bout all the questions.
    Thanks
    Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Moving to the main forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

mac80 wrote: »
    I have read that a .223 round is pretty powerful and also reasonably cheap to fire.

The .223 is a pretty good round, but as for reasonably cheap? It isn't too bad, but its far more expensive that .22 so that depends if you find 20 rounds of Remington umc ammo at €12.50 for 20 expensive.
    Would my existing .22 license cover me to purchase a .223 or .220 calibre without a re apply?

I changed my .22 for a .223 with no hassle at all, but it's probably down to your FO or your Super as too what they might require, A mate of mine had to reapply when he changed his, so your best bet is to ask your FO in advance if you fancy changing up to the bigger round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

If you find you shoot more rabbits than foxes, and the foxes are around the 100yd mark a 17 HMR might be worth a look. If you're shooting more foxes than rabbits then a .223 would be better suited.

As regards the .220 swift have you seen the price of ammo for it??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

maybe another option might be the old reliable 22 hornet. good for foxes and rabbits etc. cheap to run and plenty of knocking power. greatly underrated little round imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

With a 223 touching groups @100m are possible, when shooting off the bench, but sub 20mm are more like it with a hunting rifle not a target rifle. My best was sub 30mm @300 but I could never do it again no matter how hard I tried.

Ammo is from €12 - €28 a box of 20 rounds. The better the smaller groups I find.

Keep your 22lr for the vermine and use the 223 for foxes and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

i have a 220 swift and my father has a 223,now size matters the 223 is a toy compared to the swift.i had a rem .17 centrefire before it and was a golryfied bunny basher! highly dissapointed with it.rounds was the same price as the swift 29e for 20.mate of mine has a ruger 204 another great tool but also expensive to run.

paddy2008 wrote: »
    i have a 220 swift and my father has a 223,now size matters the 223 is a toy compared to the swift.i had a rem .17 centrefire before it and was a golryfied bunny basher! highly dissapointed with it.rounds was the same price as the swift 29e for 20.mate of mine has a ruger 204 another great tool but also expensive to run.

There gone up a bit since.

still buying 50 grain rem hp 29e box of 20. can pay 36e for horndy v-max

still buying 50 grain rem hp 29e box of 20. can pay 36e for horndy v-max

You're doing well on them so. The swift is an awesome calibre

Jonty wrote: »
    You're doing well on them so. The swift is an awesome calibre

she packs a great punch:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

+1:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Thanks lads for all the replies,

I'll take a trip into the local gun shop over the weekend and see what he has and what he reckons the local FO will have to say.
    .223 looks like a brilliant round from what i've read, and would definitly take care of those Grey Backs that seem to land when they know their out of range of my .22lr ;)

.22 Hornet from what i've read on other threads seems like another option but rounds are a bit dear and bang for buck i'd prefer the .223

millard brothers were doing a good deal on .223 (howa 1500 or savage)were i think around 700e, an old irish shooters digest should confirm this. hope this is some help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

+1 :D

Cheap 223 ammo is generally not that good. Decent ammo eg remmy accutip in my local dealers costs €36 for 20, which is the price I'm paying for federal Swift, which are awsome, isn't that right Hezz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

youd pick up hornady vmax 20 - 25 e for twenty
    or federal soft point for around the same price bit cheaper they all quality ammo
    buy in bulk and youl save afew more quid

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

+1 :D

Cheap 223 ammo is generally not that good. Decent ammo eg remmy accutip in my local dealers costs €36 for 20, which is the price I'm paying for federal Swift, which are awsome, isn't that right Hezz ;)

Too right:)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

endasmail wrote: »
    youd pick up hornady vmax 20 - 25 e for twenty
    or federal soft point for around the same price bit cheaper they all quality ammo
    buy in bulk and youl save afew more quid

have to agree..im using hornady vmax 55g and never had a fox move from where it stood, there 25 a box.. (picked up some 40g yesturday eve so will be givin them a go aslo,same price)

the remingtons accutips are also good,they dont group from my rifle as well so i dont use them, but the fact they are 35e+ doesnt atract me to them.

50g umc hollow point can be got for 12 a box,great on rabbits but gotta spend the few extra quid on better stuff for the foxs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

k_d wrote: »
    have to agree..im using hornady vmax 55g and never had a fox move from where it stood, there 25 a box.. (picked up some 40g yesturday eve so will be givin them a go aslo,same price)

the remingtons accutips are also good,they dont group from my rifle as well so i dont use them, but the fact they are 35e+ doesnt atract me to them.

50g umc hollow point can be got for 12 a box,great on rabbits but gotta spend the few extra quid on better stuff for the foxs.

Endasmail is referring to Hornet :o not 223 :eek:

Just checked with the local FO and it should be no problem to swap a.22 to a .223 :)

Ok lads after having a think over the weekend and reading quite a few web posts I have decided that because I shoot more rabbits, Magpies/Crows than foxs and I'm goin to change from a .22 to .17HMR

It will give me that extra punch I was looking for and if I decide to go after the foxes more I'll apply for a 223. I Still have the shotgun anyway ;)
    I'm thinking of going for a CZ 17HMR not sure of the model number but it has a synthetic black stock Its goin for €500 NEW

Now all I have to do is visit the FO again and check thatI can get my .22 firearm cert amended to .17HMR instaed of .223
    Hopefully it wont be an issue and i'll be out with a new gun soon :)

Anyone here have a CZ 17HMR ? I believe its a decent gun?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Yeah, I picked up mine last week and while I haven't shot all that much through it just yet I'm quite impressed.

There is a noise issue, but to be honest with a decent mod on it wasn't as loud as I was expecting, and at 100 yards there's not a huge problem.

A well finished and mostly well made, quality rifle. Get the 16'' - I did and it's a very handy little tool.

There's shedloads of info on CZs all over the place. Try airgun BBS or Rimfire Central.

Oh, and get the .223 as well:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just checked with the local FO and it should be no problem to swap a.22 to a .223 :)

Won't insult anyone by trying to discuss the finer points of .220 swift or .223 as i've only ever shot each once or twice but never owned one. I was curious though, did your FO say he could swap it there and then or would re-application be needed. Don't mean to tell anyone their business but a .22 is a rimfire and .223 is a centrefire of slightly larger calibre. Under the stricter side of the law you must re-apply for the .223.

If you must apply for the .223 or .220 or whatever you go for you'll be looking at a bit of a wait. The .17HMR is of smaller calibre and can be changed over without applying for new licence. I'm open to contradiction here lads.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

The FO said it can be amended without re application, just get a note from the shop saying that I had handed in my old 22.
    It makes sense this way as i have owned guns for more than 10 years so in my opinion I have shown that I am a responsible person to own and use firearms and I also have garda clearence because of the nature of my job so my character should not come into question.

Headin in tomo to put money down on my rifle hopefully ;) Just dont tell the missus !!
    Mac

ezridax wrote: »
    Won't insult anyone by trying to discuss the finer points of .220 swift or .223 as i've only ever shot each once or twice but never owned one. I was curious though, did your FO say he could swap it there and then or would re-application be needed. Don't mean to tell anyone their business but a .22 is a rimfire and .223 is a centrefire of slightly larger calibre. Under the stricter side of the law you must re-apply for the .223.

If you must apply for the .223 or .220 or whatever you go for you'll be looking at a bit of a wait. The .17HMR is of smaller calibre and can be changed over without applying for new licence. I'm open to contradiction here lads.

On a rifle license it just says .22, no mention of hornet, swift, magnum or lr. Technically you're right that it should be a separate application, because its bigger, but to have a license ammended from .22 to .17 rem or HMR should also be a new application but its viewed as going down in calibre.

Sometimes its best just to say you want to ammend the license from .22 to .17,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Last post here lads as i don't want to diverge from the original thread. I changed my .243 to .308 in one day as my FO knew i shot target but i thought it was a bit of a favour thing. Nice to know there are other reasonable and common sensed FOs out there.
    Originally posted by mac80

Headin in tomo to put money down on my rifle hopefully wink.gif Just dont tell the missus !!
    Ha ha ha. As i say "i'm the boss of my own house and i have my wife's permission to say so".

Anyway best of luck with whatever you decide.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Ok lads after having a think over the weekend and reading quite a few web posts I have decided that because I shoot more rabbits, Magpies/Crows than foxs and I'm goin to change from a .22 to .17HMR

It will give me that extra punch I was looking for and if I decide to go after the foxes more I'll apply for a 223. I Still have the shotgun anyway ;)
    I'm thinking of going for a CZ 17HMR not sure of the model number but it has a synthetic black stock Its goin for €500 NEW

Now all I have to do is visit the FO again and check thatI can get my .22 firearm cert amended to .17HMR instaed of .223
    Hopefully it wont be an issue and i'll be out with a new gun soon :)

Anyone here have a CZ 17HMR ? I believe its a decent gun?

Good luck with the new rifle, I dont have a cz but have a marlin in a 17 hmr it shoots like a dream. Try as many brands of ammo when your rifle comes through and find what suits your barell the best. If the 17hmr is anything like .22lr in cz you should have no problems.

The CZ 17 HMR in action :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-owa-p4qzWQ

Good set of videos, shows off the accuracy of the rifle and your shooting very well,

I'm thinking of getting the CZ silhouette model ( Black ) that has a laminate stock, not sure yet, will hopefully get a chance to go into town today.

Mac

Cool where did you get the trigger kit for it??

Just got license amended this afternoon, picking up gun tomo

• Advertisement

Good stuff thanks,

Is it hard to fit these kits?

Mac

Advertisement