Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone use or ever heard of Almax security chains?

• 18-06-2009 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of investing in a decent closed shackle lock & chain as I intend leaving my bike more exposed, I saw the Abus 37/80 with chain in Dublin for e300 :eek: But after watching this vid I thought that I would look further into it, I never heard of Almex before, has anyone?

Looking at the vid it would scare the cr*p out of using some of the other even more expensive brands. They have very good reviews on several bike forums so they are not bul*"itting. Apparently the locks & chains weight a ton at 15KG :eek:

Other brands of chain being tested including Abus, Oxford .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpf35C7wu6Q

Almex chain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozppzywsLsk&feature=related

Discussion on Biker.ie
    http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=69395&highlight=almax

Is there a supplier in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

15k's is a lot of chain. Would you carry that in a back pack when you're popping in and out of town ??

I bloody wouldn't, my poor spine wouldn't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

KTRIC wrote: »
    15k's is a lot of chain. Would you carry that in a back pack when you're popping in and out of town ??

I bloody wouldn't, my poor spine wouldn't take it.
    Top boxes were invented for a reason :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have 2 of them. Leave one at home and one in work. Bought the package with a 'free' kriga tail pack which is brilliant for carting them about if needed because they are bloody heavy.

Ah I have no need for one anyway.

Went in my local bike store last year and bought a big fook off Abus chain and disk lock. The lady behind the counter looked at me strange and asked where I'm going on holidays.

nereid wrote: »
    I have 2 of them. Leave one at home and one in work. Bought the package with a 'free' kriga tail pack which is brilliant for carting them about if needed because they are bloody heavy.
    Where did you get them? I can imagine carriage is expensive, a few of them would take up a pallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I got mine six months ago from Almax themselves for €212.23 including delivery. I've had my bike outside and very visible for that time and no thefts.

Where did you get them? I can imagine carriage is expensive, a few of them would take up a pallet.

bought direct off almax website I believe. The "freebie" covered postage.

Mind you, it was a funny package, probably about the size of a shoe box, and man was it battered. I can only presume that workers picked it up "as if" it were a light shoe box and kept dropping it because of the weight :D

There was more Brown Sellotape etc strapped around it than "almax" one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Yeah i have one for my royalstar, its a bloody big chain that i keep in the panniers when im driving around, I wouldnt like to carry it in a bag though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

They're the best chains bu a long way. When I priced them a while ago, the Abus one was more expensive, but easier to cut! The almax is the only one that can't be cut with a bolt cutters.
    Not sure if it's in the above videos, but it was surprisingly easy to cut through the Abus u-lock, i was shocked!
    Bolt cutters are the tool of choice of the scumbag, if it can withstand them you're pretty safe

Here's the one I use , an Abus Granit Detecto .

Anyone any idea how it measures up to the legendary Almax ?

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    Anyone any idea how it measures up to the legendary Almax ?

sorta:
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=7

7 quid sterling delivered to the North and 26 to the republic. Im getting mine delivered to my Brother in Co Fermanagh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

I never heard of Almex before, has anyone?

I've two of the Series III's with Squire locks. Scummer's bolt cropped my previous generic chain, no way they'll crop these, end of. I keep one at home and one at work. You could carry it in a top box, but it's seriously heavy.

Pointless getting any chain unless you can chain the bike to something solid though.

carsQhere wrote: »
    I've two of the Series III's with Squire locks. Scummer's bolt cropped my previous generic chain, no way they'll crop these, end of. I keep one at home and one at work. You could carry it in a top box, but it's seriously heavy.

Pointless getting any chain unless you can chain the bike to something solid though.

Its mainly for leaving the bike at the airport or the Dublin ferry terminal. Have been using an assortment of 4 different locks up to this so their can't be too much of a difference in weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Quite an old thread

I purchased these , two Series III and one Series 4. And the Squire locks
    As said they weigh a ton!

But have defeated three attempted thefts from the local scum.
    I'd be entirely confident in the product.

Advertisement