Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vw golf query help needed!!!

• 18-06-2009 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi

I am currently on the look outfor a vw golf tdi or gt tdi but am having no luck at the min..am now considering an audi a3 or a4 diesel..does anybody have any opinions about these cars in the 00-03 age group???such as problems to look out for?when timing belt should be done,shocks,water pump and any other notable complaints or even recommendations..i have test drove a 02 130bhp gt tdi but it seemed to have very high mileage at 125k!!!kjust wondering if that is that alot of miles for that year or and what sort of wear and tear should i be looking out for???also drove a 02 golf tdi 100bhp with 103k miles....is that high for a golf again??the dealer was asking 6500 but dropped to 5500 for a basic tdi with no extras like e/w,cd etc...seemed alot for a basic model... is that alot for a car with s/h and dealer warranty???
    last question i have is just how much are these type of cars going and where is the best place to source them...(dublin region)garage names etc

anyone that might know of one for sale or any links to one would be great!!!

any information will be a help!!

thanks a mill!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

There are lots and lots of these to choose from. Just remember the 'GT' on the TDI Golf is just a trim spec and is no way related to the BHP

In 03 the red 'I' just meant 100bhp. If it is a 5 speed then it is 100bhp.

The other TDIs available in 03 were the 130 and 150 bhp models, which were both 6 speed.

Short history of Mk4 TDIs:

At launch in 98 there was a 90bhp TDI and a 110bhp TDI

The 90bhp one lasted until 01, and was then replaced by the 100bhp version (which could be badged TDI or TDI).

The 110bhp TDI was available from 98 until late 00 and was replaced by a 115bhp TDI model with a 6 speed gearbox.

The 130 TDI and 150bhp TDI came out in 02 and they stopped making the 115bhp one then.

So don't let anyone tell you that their pre 2002 TDI is a 150 bhp or don't let anyone tell you that your 2003 TDI is 110bhp either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Onkle i spot on with what he asaid,although 130 actually cam outi n late 01 (sept i think) and it is possible to get a uk imported 01 130 although it would be extremely rare,but its worth nothing in case you come across a 01 claiming to be a 130 - personally i've never seen one.

No matter what the seller claims it is c heck the data sticker in the log book or under the boot carpat where the power is displayed in KW,a 130 bhp golf would be 96kw.

Avoid poverty spec and try treat yourself to a comfortline if not a highline spec one.I can't believe you are having trouble finding one carxone etc seems to be flooded with them.

Beware clocded cars also,alot of so called GT TDIs are imports and the mileage can be questionable.125l on a 02 TDI golf is nothing to worry about once it had been well cared for,at 135 k the timing belt should have been done twice.

I would recommend starting your search on an enthusiasts forum such as vagdrivers that way the chances of the car being cared for increase and if the owner is an enthusiats they will most likely have addressed all the known MK$ golf issues so as rear wiper leakage,dodgy locks etc.

Advertisement