Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exceptional cirumstances

Options
  • 18-06-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

here's a real life story I'm sure many of you might have been through.

A carnivore friend is happily eating some piece of animal and eventually decided he can't finish his meal, unaware that you are a veggie he offer's you the end of his meal, when the alternative is placing it in the bin. Being vegetarian for moral reasons, and the animal being dead anyway, is it o.k to eat that in your opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

YUK!!!
    That would not be an exceptional circumstance...........Throw the flesh in the bin!!!!! ;)

Seriously the thoughts of eating some animals muscle would turn my stomach, I dont miss meat (Its not like being the designated driver).

However if my health or life depended on my taking a drug that was derived from animal products..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

nope, wouldnt eat it.

for me exceptional circumstances like that would be more like being invited to dinner and getting served meat. i dont think i could eat it, but if it was to cause a lot of offence/embarrassment to refuse it... perhaps. in exceptional circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Nope, under no circumstances whatsoever :( no no no! (for me anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

smegmar wrote: »

A carnivore friend is happily eating some piece of animal and eventually decided he can't finish his meal, unaware that you are a veggie he offer's you the end of his meal, when the alternative is placing it in the bin. Being vegetarian for moral reasons, and the animal being dead anyway, is it o.k to eat that in your opinion?

Absolutely not, how on earth is that an exceptional circumstance?! We're vegetarians and vegans, we DON'T eat meat. We don't just decide we'll have it the odd time if no-one else is going to eat it. Eww.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Lets just alter that story, ever so slightly...
    A carnivore friend, Hannibal Lecter, is happily eating some piece of animal and eventually decided he can't finish his meal, unaware that you are a veggie he offer's you the end of his meal, when the alternative is placing it in the bin. Being vegetarian for moral reasons, and the human being dead anyway, is it o.k to eat that in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

What?? Would you normally eat other peoples leftovers? Meat or otherwise.

Are you a veggie? Because afaik your body temporarily stops producing the enzymes that digest meat. So suddenly introducing some into your diet would lead to a serious case of the squits.

Besides that your sceanario is just a case of fooling oneself.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I should clarify, I'm a veggie for moral reasons, I know some people just get sick at the thought of eating meat but that's not me. I like the taste of meat, it's nice. I know it's a slaughtered animal so I will not create a demand by buying it in shops. but if a carnivore had already done that anything I do will not effect the meat industry.

Imagine it this way, you are a lovely sheep/cow/chicken (I mean either, not some sort of genetic mixed mutant) and you're killed for your meat. well that sucks doesn't it.
    now to add insult to injury the fat little b*s*a*d chewing on what used to be your legs says he's full after 3 bites and throws it away,
    I'd prefer to be finished rather then thrown away after they killed me for it.

I should clarify, I'm a veggie for moral reasons, I know some people just get sick at the thought of eating meat but that's not me. I like the taste of meat, it's nice. I know it's a slaughtered animal so I will not create a demand by buying it in shops. but if a carnivore had already done that anything I do will not effect the meat industry.

Imagine it this way, you are a lovely sheep/cow/chicken (I mean either, not some sort of genetic mixed mutant) and you're killed for your meat. well that sucks doesn't it.
    now to add insult to injury the fat little b*s*a*d chewing on what used to be your legs says he's full after 3 bites and throws it away,

If you're a "vegetarian" for moral reasons, why are you trying to persuade us that we should eat meat?

Is this something that you have done then? Or something you hope will happen? Does the friend offer making it more acceptable to you?

Look you should do as your moral center dictates.

But personaly the less eating of my corpse the better. And the fact someone else paid for it, wouldn't lessen my awareness that I had acted like a driver in the system.

• Advertisement

What about feeding it to the neighbours cat? If you put it in the bin, I'm sure the local foxes might try to get at it either. Local wormery?

You said that you are veggie for moral reasons but like the taste of meat. You are now trying to make excuses for eating meat in "exceptional circumstances". Once you start making excuses, then thats the start of an inevitable slide, imho. I'm not trying to lecture you, it's just a human trait. But if the idea of returning to being a fully fledged omni/carnivore gives you the willies, maybe its better to nip this in the bud now.

I used to love my meat also but a few months after turning veggie, the smell of a roasting chicken became repulsive. Beef, another few months after that. Fish was my real weakness and the one which I succumbed to (for better reasons than the above but still an excuse). Now, when I get the temptation for fish, I know it's time to pay attention to my diet and see what I may be falling short on.

Quorn has the closest "mouthfeel" to meat - why not try some more of that - the fillets are on special in Centra at the mo :) Or experiment with seitan. I now like olives even tho I find them quite "meaty".

BTW

1. Would peeps be interested in a veggie/organic Bargains Alert here?

2. I'd also be interested to know what other people stories were of failure - the hows, whens and possible whys of eating meat/fish/fowl again were. Lessons to be learned, an' all that. Most of us know ex-veggies and, I'm sure, don't want to ever become one.

(Sorry, not meaning to hijack this thread)

What about feeding it to the neighbours cat? If you put it in the bin, I'm sure the local foxes might try to get at it either. Local wormery?

You said that you are veggie for moral reasons but like the taste of meat. You are now trying to make excuses for eating meat in "exceptional circumstances". Once you start making excuses, then thats the start of an inevitable slide, imho. I'm not trying to lecture you, it's just a human trait. But if the idea of returning to being a fully fledged omni/carnivore gives you the willies, maybe its better to nip this in the bud now.

I used to love my meat also but a few months after turning veggie, the smell of a roasting chicken became repulsive. Beef, another few months after that. Fish was my real weakness and the one which I succumbed to (for better reasons than the above but still an excuse). Now, when I get the temptation for fish, I know it's time to pay attention to my diet and see what I may be falling short on.

Quorn has the closest "mouthfeel" to meat - why not try some more of that - the fillets are on special in Centra at the mo :) Or experiment with seitan. I now like olives even tho I find them quite "meaty".

I think Thoushaltnot hit the nail on the head here. Listen to her/him!
    1. Would peeps be interested in a veggie/organic Bargains Alert here?

Yes!
    2. I'd also be interested to know what other people stories were of failure - the hows, whens and possible whys of eating meat/fish/fowl again were. Lessons to be learned, an' all that. Most of us know ex-veggies and, I'm sure, don't want to ever become one.

Can't say I've ever felt a desire to eat meat, but I do know a few ex-vegans/ex-veggies and generally what seems to happen is that they go to a country where it's more difficult to find vegan/veggie food and end up eating dairy/eggs/meat/fish. I do think this is avoidable - whenever I go to a place where vegetarianism is less common, I usually manage to explain myself to the locals and get a plate of raw vegetables if nothing else, which I'm totally fine with (although obviously raw vegetables are not the best thing to eat in a country where the drinking water is contaminated, so do try to get them to cook the vegetables, and explain that you do NOT want it topped off with fish! I have had this problem in the far east!). And, in most countries, there is the option of getting dried fruit, etc, in a supermarket and eating that whenever veganism causes you to miss a meal, and of course it's very easy to bring things like dried fruit, breakfast bars, rice cakes etc with you.

Sorry for the very long-winded post!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

-lala- wrote: »
    Absolutely not, how on earth is that an exceptional circumstance?! We're vegetarians and vegans, we DON'T eat meat.
    Don't eat meat and in vegans cases do not use animal products. There was a similar enough thread a while ago about hypocrisy.
    One of my veg friendly friends called me a hypocrite for being a vegan. I mean, of course I still have all my old leather stuff, I can't afford to throw them away

One reply was
    Your friend's an ass. I'm a recent vegan and my rule is, if I bought it before I became a vegan, then it's fine to wear.
    I was then asking if they found a steak in the freezer would they eat it, anwsers were no, give it away. By that logic the clothes should be given away too.

There was also a thread on pets a while ago, I would consider having a pet as "using the animal", though some argued against that. But I have read on some vegan site they were against breeding of pets. But in a similar way they would "save" pets from kennels since "the damage was done". But that keeping of pets still promotes the fashion/trend of pet keeping. Like a vegan still wearing leather might promote leather buying among their friends.

Similarly in this case "the damage is done", and the vegan who actually does like to the taste meat might view it the same way. Like if they were offered a leather couch that was otherwise to be throw out. esp. as in this case the food is almost definitely going to be tossed like in a restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

I have been asked this.

I don't think there is much of a moral issue with eating meat when it will just be thrown out otherwise..

But honestly having not eaten it in two years, the thought of eating it is stomach-churning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Kiddynamite

Isn't this kind of like freeganism? Well a certain aspect of it "Some freegans, sometimes called "meagans", consume meat and other animal products only if those animal products would otherwise be wasted."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I hear what you're saying . . . and while I wouldn't consider that an exceptional circumstance, it doesn't seem as if eating the meat would go against your reasons for not buying meat/participating as a consumer.

For some people, and several posters here, eating an animal is the principle they care about most, so they would do whatever they could to stay true to that principle.

In your case, it seems as if the most important principles to you are preventing waste and not monetarily supporting the meat industry; You're not a hypocrite if you're doing what you believe and holding to the principles that are most important to you.

Imo. :)

Was it not an option to freeze/refigerate the meat dish for another day?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, but I have no problem eating an animal that died naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i think your reasoning on it is fair enough, if you feel its ok then yes. i understand how you see it as the animal has died for a reason and is being wasted. cant say id do it myself, i dont think there is any circumstances that i could put meat in my mouth, but thats just how i feel.
    i do hold the 'waste not' stance with things like clothes and shoes, if someone gives me something, i wont waste it. it upsets me that the animal died for nothing, i wouldnt put money into the industry.

why would u want someones half eaten burger though? hope it was just an example :P

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

it actually happened to me a while ago,

it was a chicken roll, in the end I binned it
    but felt terrible afterwards. I'm sure something
    similar has happened to someone on here

• Advertisement

Isn't this kind of like freeganism? Well a certain aspect of it "Some freegans, sometimes called "meagans", consume meat and other animal products only if those animal products would otherwise be wasted."
    Never heard of this but make sense. I imagine many people have views on poor land use, like how an acre of land would be more efficient growing some veg rather than breeding animals. In which case if they did not eat the animal they might end up "wasting" vegetables in favour of it.
    No, but I have no problem eating an animal that died naturally.
    That is interesting, sort of like fruitarians. I wonder if any butchers would have such meat, or a vet! obviously you do not want diseased meat, but there are people who eat roadkill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rubadub wrote: »

That is interesting, sort of like fruitarians. I wonder if any butchers would have such meat, or a vet! obviously you do not want diseased meat, but there are people who eat roadkill.

It's like Buddha said, I don't think I should eat meat that was killed for you. :)

/Off to the vets for lunch.

/Off to the vets for lunch.

Hmmm, I have a slightly creepy image in my head now of you standing in the corner of a vet's office waiting for the next cat to die! :P

As for my views on the whole thing, I'm a vegan because I not only believe it's wrong to kill an animal, but I also believe it's disrespectful to eat/use its remains. So I wouldn't eat something that died of natural causes, or sit on a couch that died of natural causes either. It's interesting to see what diverse views we all have on this issue!

-lala- wrote: »
    Hmmm, I have a slightly creepy image in my head now of you standing in the corner of a vet's office waiting for the next cat to die! :P

As for my views on the whole thing, I'm a vegan because I not only believe it's wrong to kill an animal, but I also believe it's disrespectful to eat/use its remains. So I wouldn't eat something that died of natural causes, or sit on a couch that died of natural causes either. It's interesting to see what diverse views we all have on this issue!

What if I went to the hospital with consent forms for people? :P

What if I went to the hospital with consent forms for people? :P

As in consent forms that say "I give permission for my organs to be harvested for Tar.Aldarion's dinner"?

Oh dear - maybe this should be the vegetarian and vegan but still possibly cannibal forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

One flaw in your reasoning Op, is that considering you like the taste of meat, you will go out of your way to find leftovers from dinners just to get the chance to eat meat while in actual fact you'd be simply fooling yourself thinking you're a vegetarian with this moral exception as your justification.

kraggy wrote: »
    you will go out of your way to find leftovers
    Yep, like people who say they are not smokers since they do not buy cigarettes, just scab them off people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

aw man, i felt so bad today, a workmate brought in a chicken and veggie curry for me, not realising that im a veggie (honestly, ive known her about two years now, funny how some things just never seem to come up in conversation)... i felt really bad turning her down, she was all excited and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

aw man, i felt so bad today, a workmate brought in a chicken and veggie curry for me, not realising that im a veggie (honestly, ive known her about two years now, funny how some things just never seem to come up in conversation)... i felt really bad turning her down, she was all excited and stuff.

aww crappy, hate when stuff like that happens. its happened a few times that people forgot im veggie!
    im sure she understood, poor girl musta been so embarassed :o

• Advertisement

for me exceptional circumstances like that would be more like being invited to dinner and getting served meat. i dont think i could eat it, but if it was to cause a lot of offence/embarrassment to refuse it... perhaps.
    In these cases would anybody consider lying, e.g. saying you have a medical condition or allergy so under no circumstances could eat it.

I knew a guy who was tee-total, when out drinking he would often say he could not drink for medical reasons. It just nipped the topic in the bud, if he just said he did not drink he would have a bunch of drunk lads harassing & jeering him asking why not etc.

Stops the Mrs.Doyle "ah go on, ye will have some" comments.

Advertisement