Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exceptional cirumstances

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rubadub wrote: »
    In these cases would anybody consider lying, e.g. saying you have a medical condition or allergy so under no circumstances could eat it.

I knew a guy who was tee-total, when out drinking he would often say he could not drink for medical reasons. It just nipped the topic in the bud, if he just said he did not drink he would have a bunch of drunk lads harassing & jeering him asking why not etc.

Stops the Mrs.Doyle "ah go on, ye will have some" comments.

I just say I saw that meat causes impotence in the news :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It's like Buddha said, I don't think I should eat meat that was killed for you. :)

/Off to the vets for lunch.

This vet?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

In these cases would anybody consider lying, e.g. saying you have a medical condition or allergy so under no circumstances could eat it.

I knew a guy who was tee-total, when out drinking he would often say he could not drink for medical reasons. It just nipped the topic in the bud, if he just said he did not drink he would have a bunch of drunk lads harassing & jeering him asking why not etc.

Stops the Mrs.Doyle "ah go on, ye will have some" comments.

Heh, I can't drink beer or wine for medical reasons (although I can drink spirits), but I still just say I don't drink when offered a glass of wine (which is true - I could drink spirits but I choose not to). TBH I feel that if I'm not eating/drinking something for moral reasons, it's better that people know that that's why I'm doing so - I'm proud of being a vegan, so I'm not going to hide it just to stop a potentially mildly awkward moment from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

on those grounds i usually just say that it's been so long since i ate meat that my body would definitely turn on me if i was to go for it now. which it would. i remember not eating vegetables for a while, then moving in with healhty eaters who insisted on cooking for me, and hoenstly, not good.
    [/QUOTE]
    maameeo wrote: »
    aww crappy, hate when stuff like that happens. its happened a few times that people forgot im veggie!
    im sure she understood, poor girl musta been so embarassed :o

ah, it's all good,wé're a pretty open bunch here, just felt bad that she'd done the effort and thoughtful thing and id to turn her down, but water under teh bridge really.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

aw man, i felt so bad today, a workmate brought in a chicken and veggie curry for me, not realising that im a veggie (honestly, ive known her about two years now, funny how some things just never seem to come up in conversation)... i felt really bad turning her down, she was all excited and stuff.

so what happened to the curry in the end? bin or did she eat two meals?
    it's horrible when this happens and you're stuck in that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i wouldnt lie but sometimes i avoid telling people to avoid the awkwardness! i find if someone offers me jellies i say 'oh i dont eat them thanks' but i still get asked 'why??!'
    and im not a great lier! lol
    I can't drink beer or wine for medical reasons (although I can drink spirits)
    hey lala, hope u dont mind me asking, is it allergy related? just i find im terrible sick with beers/cider/wine and iv just discovered spirits dont make me sick! just curious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

smegmar wrote: »
    so what happened to the curry in the end? bin or did she eat two meals?
    it's horrible when this happens and you're stuck in that situation.

duno... she probably gave it to a client or something, knowing her. might have saved it for herself for later.

hey lala, hope u dont mind me asking, is it allergy related? just i find im terrible sick with beers/cider/wine and iv just discovered spirits dont make me sick! just curious. :)

No I don't mind you asking at all - yes, it's a yeast intolerance. Live yeast is present in beer and wine but not in spirits, and the yeast used in bread, cakes etc is killed during the baking process as it is only a very small amount, so the only things it prevents me from having are beer and wine, which I have never had any desire to drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siobhanher

Imo, if you are able to eat a piece of meat under no extreme(life or death..) duress, then your not a vegetarian. I'm lactose intolerant, and a vegetarian, and I don't use any other products like leather, fur...but I still call myself vegetarian, because if I didn't have my allergy I probably would have an egg, or some cheese now and again. I have no problem admitting that. I wouldn't call myself a vegan if I wasn't eating everything that a vegan doesn't eat for moral reasons.

Economically your doing the right thing. But health wise and more important morally, your not so good.

-lala- wrote: »
    No I don't mind you asking at all - yes, it's a yeast intolerance. Live yeast is present in beer and wine but not in spirits, and the yeast used in bread, cakes etc is killed during the baking process as it is only a very small amount, so the only things it prevents me from having are beer and wine, which I have never had any desire to drink!

ah i see, wud it be like being celiac? wud they do an allergy test on drinks? i shud get myself tested! i get so sick from drinking them, and very small amounts, not like im mad drinker, one pint and id be feeling nauseous! eek

• Advertisement

ah i see, wud it be like being celiac? wud they do an allergy test on drinks? i shud get myself tested! i get so sick from drinking them, and very small amounts, not like im mad drinker, one pint and id be feeling nauseous! eek

No, coeliac disease is gluten intolerance, which is in beer, bread, cakes, etc (not in wine!).

That nauseous feeling after a very small amount does sound very food-intolerancy, you can get tested to see if you are sensitive to any one (or more) of several foods, I'll send you a pm with details of the guy I went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

siobhanher wrote: »
    Economically your doing the right thing. But health wise and more important morally, your not so good.

But it's not really "not so good." It's just what's right for smegmar, and if it doesn't go against what he/she believes, then . . . okay then.

-lala- wrote: »
    No, coeliac disease is gluten intolerance, which is in beer, bread, cakes, etc (not in wine!).

That nauseous feeling after a very small amount does sound very food-intolerancy, you can get tested to see if you are sensitive to any one (or more) of several foods, I'll send you a pm with details of the guy I went to.

cool! thanks lala!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

cosmic wrote: »
    Nope, under no circumstances whatsoever :( no no no! (for me anyway!)

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

An exceptional circumstance would be crashing on a mountain top or being stuck in a life raft in the middle of the ocean. If it was a matter of survival I would eat meat, heck I'd eat other humans in those cases, no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

ztoical wrote: »
    An exceptional circumstance would be crashing on a mountain top or being stuck in a life raft in the middle of the ocean.

I agree... I still don't think I could bring myself to eat an animal if that's all the food there was. I guess I'd try find out what it was eating and see if it will share with me! (Presuming it's a herbivore of course).

I can't believe this question...how is that an exceptional circumstance!? The person who threw out the poor chicken is the one that should feel bad, not you. It was THEM who bought it. Under no circumstances would I eat an animal just because it would go in the bin otherwise. No way! I might as well be a freegan and eat road kill if that's the case! I love animals and choose not to eat them, for me. I would not eat someone's leftovers just to save on waste, funk that. Some creature would eat it if you left it out for them, even if it was a rat. Hell rats need food too!

Advertisement