Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sarah Silverman Program? Not funny!

• 18-06-2009 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭

Please tell me i'm not alone on this!
    I watched it for the first time last night. Crude, nonsensical, childish, distasteful crap in my opinion. That woman is just not one bit funny IMO, even the ads for it bug me. Rant Over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

She can be funny. Not on that show that I've noticed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I watched it for the first time last night. Crude, nonsensical, childish, distasteful crap in my opinion. That woman is just not one bit funny IMO, even the ads for it bug me. Rant Over.

I agree. Not one bit funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

that show is crap. The ad is really annoying the way she just stares at the screen with that stupid smile. Then the end of the ad with her hand on her face and bandy legs.WTF like. Ah hope she stubs her toe on something really hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

not one redeeming feature.

not one.

wouldn't even give her a seeing to.

sourpuss face on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

why does comedy central keep playing the one same ep where her sister goes out with the cop,

Crude, nonsensical, childish, distasteful

this is what sarah silverman is going for, your not supposed to like her or what she does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

this is what sarah silverman is going for, your not supposed to like her or what she does

In that case they're doing a wonderful job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

watched an episode a couple of weeks ago, one word - awful

Oh then to make it worse my gf then flicks another episode on last nite, luckily enough she's less patience than me, we didnt even get to the first ad thank god.

I know its mean to say but sarah silverman is a bit strange looking so theres absolutely zero + points for this show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Not even remotely funny.

Terrible, terrible, terrible show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

only time i thought this show was funny was when the guy gets his man-boobs caught in the window and even then it didnt involve her. Shes never funny,not in the slightest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Anyone see the clip where she's licking the dog's "you know what" in the park? ....I mean WTF??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Can't stand her. Awful show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

+1 Dreadful show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Hated her based on the incredibly irritating ads alone until I saw the episode where she tried to buy batteries, and almost laughed myself into a hernia.

She is, therefore, alright by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Can't STAND her. Tried, I really did. Saw her on Johnathon Ross last year. Terrible. No buzz or anything off her. TBH, I can't think of any female standup comedians I like. I find their humour to be very similar to eachother: Playing the bimbo or trying to make the men in the audience uncomfortable by trying to outgross eachother with various. um, bodily functions "Am I right girls?"

But, back OT, the f*cking Matt Damnon thing was funny the first time but only 'cos you were shocked that he was in it and how much fun he seemed to be having in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think she's hot, not very funny but hot.

her tits were great in that episode of Star trek voyager she was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The tv show does nothing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

100% agree with the OP. The show is all out cringe and she is just plain weird, certainly not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I must be ill in the head as I enjoy it ! I think the point is that she's very annoying and it obvious works.
    And regarding the episode with her sister going out with the cop, doesn't her sister go out with the cop in every episode, aren't they boyfriend and girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

never watched it. Nothing about it appeals to me. Kinda like everybody hates Chris.

It's a bit clichéd but women comedians are just not very funny. My OH actually agrees with this, she doesn't find any female comedians laugh out loud funny, they usually serve the purpose of lining up jokes for men. Don't get me wrong, I think women are excellent at writing funny, just not acting it. Take any show, and tell me one of the lead females was the funniest character in it.

For example, Tina Fey, great writer and I love her character in 30 Rock, but if I had to choose who makes me laugh most it would be Tracy, Kenneth then Jack... most would probably agree. Same with Seinfeld, I found Elaine to be the least interesting. Her episodes where only good when they had David Puddy in them.

The same is even true of cartoons. The worst episodes of the Simpsons or Family Guy are the ones that center around the mother and daughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think it's great.

Although her gay neighbors are one of the best things in it. I loved the episode where they tried to out do each other by being obsessed by Tab Cola.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »

It's a bit clichéd but women comedians are just not very funny. My OH actually agrees with this, she doesn't find any female comedians laugh out loud funny, they usually serve the purpose of lining up jokes for men. Don't get me wrong, I think women are excellent at writing funny, just not acting it. Take any show, and tell me one of the lead females was the funniest character in it.

For example, Tina Fey, great writer and I love her character in 30 Rock, but if I had to choose who makes me laugh most it would be Tracy, Kenneth then Jack... most would probably agree. Same with Seinfeld, I found Elaine to be the least interesting. Her episodes where only good when they had David Puddy in them.

The same is even true of cartoons. The worst episodes of the Simpsons or Family Guy are the ones that center around the mother and daughter.

I agree L31mr0d. Caroline Ahern is one of the funniest writers out there. (I really wish everyone would leave her alone so she could get back to writing and performing. I miss Denise) The Royale Family always makes me burst my ass laughing. I just don't find female standups funny at all. I just find their jokes repeditive and unfunny, going for the cringe factor. Obviously that's a large generalisation but it's been my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think your all being very mean on Female comedians.

This is a **** show because she is a **** comedian, her appearance on Jonathan Ross was really bad and showed how she really has no sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

Well i'm female and i'm sorry to say i wholeheartedly agree with the comments about female comedians.... i have yet to come across a single one that can make me properly laugh.

Even on 'The Panal' they always have the token female and they're always the weakest panalest.

It's a shame as i'd really love to come across an honest to god funny one but they seem to be practically non existant. Even Jo Brand and Dawn French only seem to survive by constantly mocking their own appearance and making cringworthy comments about relationships.

And Sarah Silverman is just axful... how on earth did that get a second series but Chuck was almost axed?!

PinkTulips wrote: »

And Sarah Silverman is just axful... how on earth did that get a second series but Chuck was almost axed?!

Apparently she's f*cking Matt Damon. Plus, helps when you're dating a very popular talkshow host who can constantly drop your name into his show.

PinkTulips wrote: »
    Well i'm female and i'm sorry to say i wholeheartedly agree with the comments about female comedians.... i have yet to come across a single one that can make me properly laugh.

Smack the Pony? I always liked that show. Jo Brand is funny, not just about her appearance but she is one of the best panelist on QI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Elmo wrote: »
    Smack the Pony? I always liked that show. Jo Brand is funny, not just about her appearance but she is one of the best panelist on QI.

Are you serious? Jo Brand is about as funny as cancer.

Aidric wrote: »
    Are you serious? Jo Brand is about as funny as cancer.

Jo Brands reponse: -

"Cancer doesn't look this bad"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Women comedians are genuinely awful. And it's sad, I think there could be some very good ones out there, but female comedians seem to need some kind of "hook", like being gross, old, talking about how men are sh*t etc. Comedy seems to be very sexist still. If a woman was equally as funny as a man, but didn't act "unique", she probably wouldn't get anywhere.

And Sarah Silverman makes me so angry, she single handedly set women's lib back 30 years I swear. She is unfunny, untalented and has zero imagination, yet she gets her own sitcom and tons of presenting work. She's obviously sleeping with someone. How is licking a dog's ass funny? Wake up America!

Sarah Silverman's voice is highly irratating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

phasers wrote: »
    Women comedians are genuinely awful. And it's sad, I think there could be some very good ones out there, but female comedians seem to need some kind of "hook", like being gross, old, talking about how men are sh*t etc. Comedy seems to be very sexist still. If a woman was equally as funny as a man, but didn't act "unique", she probably wouldn't get anywhere.

I personally think it's generally because comedians tend to be quite self-deprecating in their humour and it's seemingly a lot easier for an audience to laugh at men than it is women. If a guy gets on stage and talks about how useless he is at life, I wager an audience will find it easier to laugh at him than a woman who gets on stage and says the same thing. The woman will likely garner more sympathy.

I do find women funny in sitcoms and as was mentioned above there are very funny female writers but I can honestly say there's not one female stand-up I enjoy.

As for Sarah Silverman, I just find her insufferable. She has that laboured style that seems to go down well in America but fails in other parts of the world. I saw her interviewed on Jonathan Ross one time and she was woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

. I saw her interviewed on Jonathan Ross one time and she was woeful.

again thats her act.

again thats her act.
    That doesn't make it good! Is that supposed to be some kind of excuse?

"Oh course I'm shyte guys I'm supposed to be? lol geddit?

This is SUPPOSED to be part of her act? Bloody hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

Yere all Jew Haters!!! :D:D:pac:

.....nah im messing!

I think her standup can be incredibly witty. Her jokes on racism really do make you laugh as they are intelligent and make you laugh at racism not with it, if that makes sense?

Her TV show isnt great [US toilet humor], but standup is cracking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

again thats her act.

Her act is to come across as unfunny and totally devoid of talent? Come on.

To me that's a bit like Pat Kenny supporters coming out and saying, "Don't mock Pat's laboured, plank-like way of presenting shows - why that's just his act."

• Advertisement

Yere all Jew Haters!!! :D:D:pac:

.....nah im messing!

I think her standup can be incredibly witty. Her jokes on racism really do make you laugh as they are intelligent and make you laugh at racism not with it, if that makes sense?

Having seen the clip in the JR video above, I'll have to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

She doesn't really break character for interviews, and I think that puts a lot of people off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

+1

she also wasnt that bad in greg the bunny, although i'm sure no one else on this board knows what i'm referring to.

+1

she also wasnt that bad in greg the bunny, although i'm sure no one else on this board knows what i'm referring to.

Seth Green and Eugene Levy's finest hours. One of my all time favourite shows and the only show to ever show the positive side of fabricated Americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Seth Green and Eugene Levy's finest hours. One of my all time favourite shows and the only show to ever show the positive side of fabricated Americans.

thank you! great show, only one season ffs. home of the excellent line:

"when i'm out for blood, i never let sex get in the way"

"really? for me its the other way around!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I would agree with the general concensus that her show is indeed rubbish.

The ads are good, in that they sum up how crap her show is quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Her standup is very good as has been described by the New Yorker as 'meta-racism', which is kinda like 'Good Aids' in Chris Morris terms.

Sadly, she took the quick-buck route that most US comedians tend to follow by going down the sitcom/action movie route, a path that at least Chris Rock semi-redeemed himself from.

Her standup is very good as has been described by the New Yorker as 'meta-racism', which is kinda like 'Good Aids' in Chris Morris terms.
    So she's a bad comedian because of a blood transfusion as opposed to having sex with a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

Thank goodness its not just me so!
    Phew!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

+1.

In the "even a broken clock is correct twice a day" vein, one was not unamused at her potshots at Paris Hilton, prior to her (Hilton's) stint in jail :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Couldnt agree more with the OP. I tried watching a couple of times but the style of humor actually rubs you up the wrong way :mad:!

It'll be interesting to see how long this crappy show runs for but who knows, maybe the american public see something in it :rolleyes:. Lost on me though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Her take on The Joke was the best version in 'The Aristocrats'.

I like what I've seen of her stand up, but I have not been able to sit through a full episode of this show. I know that it's part of the joke that her character is meant to be odious, but it wears thin very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

i donlt find her the leasy bit funny. The only time i remember laughing was her "i'm ****ing matt damon" music video but i think that was more for his part in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

About as funny as Katherine Lynch......and thats NOT funny......

• Advertisement
Advertisement