Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lisbon - irish budget

Options
  • 18-06-2009 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

Would one need a knowledge of the irish constitution to read and understand the lisbon treaty?

how much is changed in the constitution?

i think i should just open a lisbon questions thread lol

''This means that any national government may veto such a proposal''

that was in reference to the council - does that mean cowen has the oppurtunity to veto it?
    or does it work differently?
    ah nm, seems it needs to be agreed by the dáil and the seanad

''High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy.''
    who is this? how are they elected>?

nm - ''One Commissioner will hold the position of the newly created High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy.''

are all areas of law etc to be voted on using qmv, double majority or anominity?
    or are there other methods of voting?

''EU exclusive competence
    The Lisbon Treaty states that the EU has exclusive competence in a number of areas including the customs union, the establishment of the competition rules necessary for the functioning of the internal market and monetary policy for the Member States whose currency is the Euro.''

are those the only areas the eu has exclusive competence?

on a side note - what is the importance of the council of europe?
    why did belarus not join in 1993 or since?
    since russia is a member, is it likely they will join the eu in the future?
    140 million - wow. that wuld vastly change the eu - not to mention it is a global power and would be a huge step in friendliness and healing old wounds etc

how exactly nd where does the veto work?
    how is this changed in lisbon

why cant the lisbon treaty be explained like all budgets are

ie - voting changes from blah to blah
    human rights chartered introduced etc....

i am aware it is vastly more complicated - but not immpossible to explain whats different and whats new

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

i was just thinking there

why cant the lisbon treaty be explained like all budgets are

ie - voting changes from blah to blah
    human rights chartered introduced
    etc....

i am aware it is vastly more complicated - but not immpossible to explain whats different and whats new

Yes it has been done, it was done for the first one. Unfortunately some on the 'no' side pretty much accused the referendum commission of lying, or 'covering up' changes, or not fully describing changes etc.

http://www.lisbontreaty2008.ie/

Also have a look at the Lisbon Treaty microsite from the EU themselves.

http://europa.eu/lisbon_treaty/index_en.htm

Also here's a nice youtube video going through the changes to the Parliament that Lisbon makes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

well

i would like it to be done by those who debated and help draft the treaty - at least on the irish side

like i dont want harney explaining a finance bill - for example

who made up that commission?

well

i would like it to be done by those who debated and help draft the treaty - at least on the irish side

like i dont want harney explaining a finance bill - for example

who made up that commission?

I'd be perfectly happy with Harney explaining a finance bill, if she explained it accurately.

You can read about refcom here:
    http://www.refcom.ie/en/

Also, for what it's worth, the Minister for Finance doesn't generally sit down and 'explain' the budget, he only lists its measures.

The media then generally puts together reports about what's changing etc, in an easy to understand format, and publishes them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

This White Paper is probably the closest you'll get to what you're looking for.

cheers

few new questions at the start - if anyone would care t answer them

i would be grateful

''Rules and general principles concerning mechanisms for control by Member States of the Commission's exercise of implementing powers

EU laws are made by the Council alone or by the Council and the European Parliament. Those laws must then be implemented by the Member States and the institutions of the EU. The Commission is the main institution with implementing powers. The Treaties provide for the control by the Member States of the Commission's exercise of its implementing powers. This means that the Council lays down the rules and general principles about how the Commission exercises its implementing powers. At present, these rules and general principles must be agreed unanimously. The Treaty of Lisbon proposes that they be agreed by QMV.''

what?

again if anyone can explain this - no snarky smart ass comments you know who ye are - i would be grateful

thanks

''Rules and general principles concerning mechanisms for control by Member States of the Commission's exercise of implementing powers

EU laws are made by the Council alone or by the Council and the European Parliament.

EU legislation is proposed by the Commission (not stated there, obviously). This either gets debated and finalised by the Council (of Ministers) on its own, or by the Council (of Ministers) and the Parliament working in tandem (the co-decision procedure, renamed the Ordinary Legislative Procedure).

Those laws must then be implemented by the Member States and the institutions of the EU.

Self-explanatory.

The Commission is the main institution with implementing powers.

When the law is finalised, it goes back to the Commission who are tasked with deciding how the law is to be implemented (these are the 'implementing powers').

The Treaties provide for the control by the Member States of the Commission's exercise of its implementing powers. This means that the Council lays down the rules and general principles about how the Commission exercises its implementing powers.

The 'implementing powers' of the Commission are controlled by the member states through the Council. This is basically a kind of safe-guard over the scope the Commission has in implementing the law.

At present, these rules and general principles must be agreed unanimously. The Treaty of Lisbon proposes that they be agreed by QMV.''

The 'implementing power' rules that the Council sets for the Commission are presently decided by unanimity in the Council. In Lisbon, this changes to QMV.

I hope this helps. BTW, please let us know what documents or Articles you're getting your text from; it will make it easier to answer.

• Advertisement

yes - it clears it up

seems there are a lot of safehguards - where every bit is watching over the other
    which is very good

please look to the first post where i edited it with a few other questions
    cheers

again - with the lock thread that were useless pushing this down i feel the need to bump it

it actual has questions that i personaly would love answers for and woud stimulate discussion?

Would one need a knowledge of the irish constitution to read and understand the lisbon treaty?

how much is changed in the constitution?

i think i should just open a lisbon questions thread lol

You don't really need to know the all of the Constitution, but I guess everyone should know it anyway? Here's a decent summary of the changes anyway.
    ''This means that any national government may veto such a proposal''

that was in reference to the council - does that mean cowen has the oppurtunity to veto it?
    or does it work differently?
    ah nm, seems it needs to be agreed by the dáil and the seanad

''High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy.''
    who is this? how are they elected>?

nm - ''One Commissioner will hold the position of the newly created High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy.''

are all areas of law etc to be voted on using qmv, double majority or anominity?
    or are there other methods of voting?

Wikipedia again gives a good summary of Voting in the Council. QMV and unanimity are the main methods. Double Majority Voting is an extension of QMV (see the link), but it's not due to come in until 2014, dependent on Lisbon passing.

''EU exclusive competence
    The Lisbon Treaty states that the EU has exclusive competence in a number of areas including the customs union, the establishment of the competition rules necessary for the functioning of the internal market and monetary policy for the Member States whose currency is the Euro.''

are those the only areas the eu has exclusive competence?

Here's a list. At the bottom it says what changes in Lisbon.

how exactly nd where does the veto work?
    how is this changed in lisbon
    Any place in the Treaty where it says decisions are taken by unanimity, that's the veto that a country has. In Lisbon, a few new areas move from unanimity to QMV. These are listed at the end of that White Paper I linked already above.

ah so its just voting against it - its not a particular veto per-se

so, to stop a certain law going through in qmv - at least 4 states have to disagree?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

so, to stop a certain law going through in qmv - at least 4 states have to disagree?

Yes, the reason being it avoids 3 large countries like Poland France and Germany blocking something based purely on the population condition. Its a safeguard for smaller countries.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

but france,germany, italy and holland would do......

but france,germany, italy and holland would do......

Yes. Usually there'd be good reasons they would agree on opposing things.

It's very rare it happens as it nearly always is about consensus.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

yes good for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

yes good for them

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

well, ironicaly eneough, it does exactly what it says the tin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

well, ironically enough, it does exactly what it says the tin.

Another fairyland statement. Your debating style isn't what I'd describe as convincing.

yes good for them

And great for us as we've never had to use our veto as compromise and consensus is what the EU is about.

how is it fairyland?

it describes what the statement does - i cant simlify a simple statement

i cant simplify the staement anymore
    get a childs dictionary - in fairness there is not ambiguity or hard words

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

how is it fairyland?

it describes what the statement does - i cant simlify a simple statement

i cant simplify the staement anymore
    get a childs dictionary - in fairness there is not ambiguity or hard words
    No, just random collections of words masquerading as sentences. It can be very hard to figure out what you're trying to say.

yes good for them

yes - positive statement

good - as in not bad

for them - for the purposes of them, them being the 4 states

;) christ - for a four word sentence you still find it hard to grasp
    again - nice point bravo - you should be on the yes side just attacking claims and not adding to debate much.....

Advertisement