Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Brake pads on 04 accord

• 18-06-2009 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Rear brake pads have worn down to nothing on the car, have bought a new set. How difficult is it to change them, is there special tools needed? Was going to attempt to change them myself.
    Should I try or would I be better off getting them done by a garage instead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Roseyland wrote: »
    Rear brake pads have worn down to nothing on the car, have bought a new set. How difficult is it to change them, is there special tools needed? Was going to attempt to change them myself.
    Should I try or would I be better off getting them done by a garage instead?
    I'm all for people doing small jobs on the driveway but brakes are not something you should tackle unless you know exactly what you are doing. Rear pads are generally more difficult too due to the handbrake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The handbrake won't affect the job on this car.

You'll need a pointy nose pliers to wind the piston in the caliper back in, or if it's stiff a wind back tool.

Other than that it's as easy if not slighty easier (as everything is a bit smaller) than the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Imo, you will need a piston winder tool to wind back the rear brake caliper piston.
    Unless you have acces to one, I would'nt bother trying to change the pads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You can use a simple wood screw clamp for that job.
    Like this:

wood-clamp.jpg

^ Not on the rear brakes you can't.

A pointy nose pliers if they're not stiff,
    RearCaliperTool-vi.jpg

a wind back tool if they are.
    1314.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Unless you know what your doing, dont do it. Wind back tool for the back

is a must.

Muckie wrote: »
    Wind back tool for the back

is a must.

3rd time on this thread: only if they're too stiff to do with a pliers. On an '04 they're very unlikely to be stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Roseyland

Thanks for all the replies guys, decided to drop it into Advance pit stop to get them changed, don't have the appropriate tools to do it myself it appears.
    Incidentally, when i told the guy at the desk while i was booking the car in that I had brake pads for the car, he replied that they would not use them and will only use the pads they have in stock, why is this? So they can charge 4 prices for their own pads? He bluntly refused to use the pads I had without even asking me what brand they were. :mad:

Edit: BTW its booked in for tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Expect comments regarding your exhaust back box being on its way out, the cat sounding dodgy and your tyres all dangerous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

dont use him if he wont use them. he will spout sh1t about not being able to guarantee the job if outside parts are used. Get someone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Roseyland

mickdw wrote: »
    dont use him if he wont use them. he will spout sh1t about not being able to guarantee the job if outside parts are used. Get someone else
    That's exactly what he said, if i say to him to use the pads or i will take my business elsewhere, I wonder will he come around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest, I wouldnt use those people regardless. Better go to some local garage. Will be cheaper and better. I wouldnt put it past some of these guys trying to force your brake piston back (as discussed above by others)

Advertisement