Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting shooting

Options
  • 18-06-2009 4:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Im going to start shooting and was wonderin what kind of gun would be the best for me as i would be using it for a bit of everything eg rabbits, fox, duck, phesant etc and clays an all roundgun and wa looking to spendaround €500 on it. Thnking about a second hand browing semi auto or something like that. I already d a lot of ferreting to and was thinking about flushing the rabbits outwithout nets and picking them off as well so any ideas on what type of gun i would need

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Try reading the following http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055574610 . None of those suggestions may suit, but its a good starting point. Plus Browning semi are a great gun but for clays, you may get a few looks of distain when standing on a line with a semi auto.

Good luck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Do a little bit of research first. Have a browse through here - there are a few semi autos reviewed. You'll not go too far wrong with a Browning/Beretta/Benelli/Fabarm etc. The most important thing is that the gun fits, so try get an experienced shooter to go to the dealer with you and check it. Don't just listen to the salesman - I mean dealer:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭ferret man

thanks for the help lads but would a semi auto be ok fr what i am planning on usingthis for or what gun would be best suited t me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Is chopperdog still on here?
    He works in courtlough and was extremely helpfull when i was buying my first sid eby side..got me a good deal too..PM him or Pm me for his number.

feret man, the answer to that would be whatever suits YOU best. I, aswell as every other lad here, can suggest makes, models, etc. that we've used or have but to be honest most of them will tell you the same thing. The only way to know if a gun suits is to go to a dealer and put one to your shoulder. You should feel comfortable with it and not have to re-adjust the position of the gun to suit you. It should come up to your shoulder and sit perfectly in one fluid motion. I had a previous thread asking about barrel lenght. The answer i got was go for what you like and don't let any one factor become a sticking point ( barrel lenght, stock shape, etc)

The one thing i will say is go for one thats as tight to your budget as possible. Generally the more expensive the gun the better the make. Secondhand berettas, browning, benelli are all top class guns. For new makes look at Lanber, Bettinsoli, Fabarm, miroku. Most of these run at between €500 and €1100. More if you want the fancy version with extended chokes.

I used a beretta AL391 for years and loved it. As mentionded previously i only got rid of it as i was getting dirty looks when on the line in a clay shoot, and as i wanted to get more involved with clays i switched back to and o/u. Decide what you want to spend 90% of your time doing. Hunting and stalking or clays. For hunting and stalking a semi auto is perfect, for clays an o/u.

Hope none of that seemed as thought i was preaching. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

thanks for that reply it really helps me you no and i no my gun dealer s he might be genuine and get the gun that best suits me. dont suppose you could tell me what all i need to get the licence

The process is easy enough.

A)Two written permissions from seperate land owners allowing you to shoot on their land.
    B)Serial number of the make, model (and calibre obviously 12g) of the gun on a note from the dealer.
    C)Submit all the paperwork to your local FO (firearms officer). Wait between 3 - 6 weeks.
    D)You'll receive a letter saying your licence is ready for collection at your local Garda station.

You may be required to purchase a gun safe before you collect your gun. You can pick up a standard 4 gun safe for about €200. Good for holding gun and maybe your ammo. You'll have to secure the safe to a solid wall (so it can't be lifted and carried out of your house) and it may be inspected before you collect licence and gun.

yes i no that but i am that but i am wanting to no what kind of gun to get eg s/s o/u semi auto

Get an o/u - if you can't knock a bird with two shots......................:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Why is a semi auto bad for clays? Why the dirty looks?

• Advertisement

why do so many of u hate the semi i dont plan to dothat much clays hi more animals got mouths to feed lik

Definitely DO NOT HATE semi autos. I shot with one for years. When i went into the clays in a big way though thats when the problem arose. Firstly any lads standing to your right gets hit with the empties. Secondly when an o/u is broken whether there are cartridges in it or not it can do no harm and all others (shooters and spectators) know its safe. With a semi auto the breach slide must be back and no cartridge can be in the gun at all. You also have to carry the gun facing up with the empty breach facing outwards for others to see. Alot of hassle when with an o/u you just need to break it. Plus some clubs and most competitions do not like or allow semi autos on a firing line.

But the guns are well able to compete with most if not all o/u's at clays and are far better for hunting (in my opinion anyway) simply for the extra shots. My advice to you is to go for a semi auto. You sound as though you will be hunting mostly and clays on occassion. Semi would suit you best. As far as make the brownings (new) start at around €1200 upwards for a nice fusion model. Beretta have 5 or 6 variations of their AL391. They start at €1450 (new). Shop around you will get good second ones cheap and other makes cheaper again (either new or secondhand).

ez has laid it out as it is.

In squad situations the person on your right is getting ready to take his shot while you are shooting. The last thing he wants to see is an empty flying across his field of vision.

It's fine in sporting shoots where you are in the cage on your own but where there is a squad of 5 or 6 it's not welcome.

oh i get th idea now so would it be better an o/u or s/s

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

ferret man wrote: »

Its not really whats better its more of what fits you, I was over with one of my gundealers last friday and I went through about a dozen or more shotguns both s/s and o/u. Some fitted really well and others just did not feel right at all. So pick up and get a feel for as many guns as you can.

The o/u does seem to be more popular these days doe.

ferret man wrote: »

Forget about a side by side if you plan on doing some clays.
    They are just too light for the job.

Stick with the O/U and as riflehunter says, make sure it fits you. As an inexperienced shooter you'll have trouble knowing what fits and what doesn't. It's more than just feeling comfartable. If possible have an experienced shooter take a look at you while you mount the gun. Don't just listen to the salesman.

so how much would a second hand semiauto betta o browing be a deacent one mind youhat yu wnt have to change after a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

€1000 would see ya alright for an older model eg Beretta 391

€1000 would see ya alright for an older model eg Beretta 391
    is there nothing for around the 500 mark

You can always get something cheaper, problem is most of the better known models start at around 1200-1300 euro new, and thats for the "cheaper" models. Basic Beretta semi auto starts at €1450 so second hand ones will hold their value. Be careful of people offering you great deals on second hand models (Beretta,Browning, etc) as with the old adage "if something is too good to be true it generally is". It may have the S**t shot out of it or be in poor condition.

Look around and as per the advice given to you by pullandbang bring a more experienced shooter who is knowledgeable about guns and can detect faults that you may miss, but the simple answer is if you can raise your budget you open a wider variety of guns (obviously).

Without being a condescending a**hole, listen to the advice you're getting from the lads here but more importantly get out and about and look at some guns, get the feel of them and you may even find a gem of a deal.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement