Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ZR leaking coolant

• 18-06-2009 8:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My ZR seems to be losing a bit of coolant. Not a lot but is defiently burning / leaking some.

Not I know this probably sounds like a head gasket failure as its very common with these models but I don't think it is for a few reasons.

1. No white smoke from exhaust
    2. No gunk or residue in coolant tank
    3. No "mayo" on the dip stick or under engine cap.
    4. Heaters working fine / performace still the same.

I have ordered a replacement coolant cap as I understand a damaged cap may allow some coolant to leak.
    Is there anything else I can do?
    Now also I have a month left on the warranty so in a way im hoping it is the HG so I can get it replaced.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Get it pressure checked (before the warranty expires) to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Cheers. Will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And pay very close attention to your engines temp. The k-series engine has a very small coolant capacity, so if you have a leak, the engine will overheat quickly blowing the head gasket

It is actually a very good little engine, but this is a weakness in the design...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

AFAIK coolant can leak from an inlet manifold gasket on those engines, no idea how big a job it is to check/fix. As the other lads said, pay close attention to your coolant levels and temperature and also your water pump. The head gasket may be OK for now but may blow if the car is overheats for any reason.

If that were my car and I didn't know what was wrong with it I wouldn't drive it without leaving the cabin heater on full blast and with at least one window open. It mightn't be too comfortable for the passengers but it will take a significant amount of heat away from the engine.

Sound lads. Thanks.
    Watching the temp and coolant level the whole time :)
    Bringing it back Monday to get it looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I dont know if you wanna try this, but you could pour a bottle of

Rad weld in, might seal up any small leaks you have. About €10

a bottle from any motorfactors, pour it in, then start your car see does

it help at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would think that if you want to fix the rad then do it properly - Radweld could cause more problems that it may fix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Wouldnt wanna give bad advice kbannaon, if he had any small leaks it

might help, but if in doubt let the garage where he has it still under

warranty fix it. Maybe he'd be aswell see them monday so. Hope its

easliy fixed.

Maybe he'd be aswell see them monday so. Hope its

easliy fixed.

So do I. Will keep ye posted.

Well got her back and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.
    Will just have to keep a good eye on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement