Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splendid Ideas.

Options
  • 18-06-2009 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

Every so often we do a thread for people to dump their brains of great ideas that may make the forum a better, more enjoyable, and cooler place to hang out.

Such ideas often won't need any moderator intervention and in the best spirit of the boards site will be driven for the community by the community. If moderator intervention is needed then we'll endeavour to provide.

The idea is to provide a sounding board for people to discuss things that they have seen elsewhere or original thinking that they anticipate would work on our forum.

Once you post an idea, the user base of the forum can discuss it, it can be picked apart and put back together, or blow away like tumble weed in an old western.

Some new and fresh ideas may come out of it and if not, well, at least we've discussed it and we can put it to bed for a while.

So with that let's open it to the floor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Can't say i've got any issues with the forum at the moment but look forward to the other ideas that may come up :)

I'll check it out this evening,Hopefully by then it'll very active.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

What about a "Photography Course" section, divided up into beginner, intermediate and advanced. The material could be written by members, for other members. For example, in the beginner section, you could have an article on Exposure, Aperture, Shutter Speed, etc.
    Intermediate stuff could include Composition, Light Meters, Exposure Index etc.
    Advanced could include photoshop & PP techniques, studio setups, event photography, etc.

Requests could be placed for articles on various topics, i.e. strobist stuff, ND Filters etc.

Maybe a section that deals with film & processing?

Maybe this could be created in a similiar structure as the Adverts Wiki?

Ah what do I know, sure it'll get the ball rolling??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I like the idea mrmac but and here's the but as much as we'd like it it's not really possiblethe nice admins at boards HQ could be giving us all of that extra space. There is alot of these subject covered in the FAQ thread, although I do think some of it needs to be tidied up, which I'll take a look at very soon.

I like the film & processing idea, which chemicals people prefer using and why, advantages & disadvantages of doing your own processing, etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

aye i could help on the wiki thing... a whole section of my course was to basically write a book on all that jazz, all in word docs ina folder here wasting space

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Often I'd see a pic on the Random thread and would like to ask more questions about it and often about the photographer. I don't like asking too much on that thread as it's best kept for what it is, plonking pics up and legging it.
    How about a sub-thread where one could ask the photographer to move the pic from the Random thread onto the sub-thread for further discussion and analysis...a kind Thanks (but no thanks) invitational thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭LOOKIHERE

I am a newbie so this might be done already. What about picking themes on a monthly basis and getting people to submit their photos and list them in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

was there an interview ask questions type thread here or was it in another forum I like your idea humberklog

LOOKIHERE wrote: »
    I am a newbie so this might be done already. What about picking themes on a monthly basis and getting people to submit their photos and list them in the forum.

There's a variation of that up in the Sticky Hinterland. The photo challenge. It's very good.

trishw78 wrote: »
    was there an interview ask questions type thread here or was it in another forum I like your idea humberklog

There was...I think Dragan wanted to get it going but it didn't really take off. It was more photographer orientated though whereas what I propose is more picture orientated. This of course could develop into more talk by and about the photographer. It's kind of variation on Dragan's idea but starting with a picture.

humberklog wrote: »
    How about a sub-thread where one could ask the photographer to move the pic from the Random thread onto the sub-thread for further discussion ....

Might put the frighteners on some folk, as maybe they're happy to leg it!
    Or could prove dis-heartening if newbies don't get an invitation?

Fully agree with the idea though, it'd be great if the technique and concepts could be discussed openly.

Perhaps people could put an * in title bar of their post, if they're open to invite?

• Advertisement

mrmac wrote: »
    Might put the frighteners on some folk, as maybe they're happy to leg it!
    Or could prove dis-heartening if newbies don't get an invitation?

Fully agree with the idea though, it'd be great if the technique and concepts could be discussed openly.

Perhaps people could put an * in title bar of their post, if they're open to invite?

Indeed mrmac but that'd be left to the discretion of the invited. Some may want to elaborate and others to keep it short (or not take up invitation at all).

As for newbies I think it could work in the opposite. As it would stem from the photograph then it shouldn't/wouldn't matter about how established they are on boards. For e.g I've wanted to ask Keps about one of his photos.

As for an * I think it'd be simpler that when you like a photo you could simply quote the post (not the photo...ahermm) and ask them if they'd pop it on the sub- thread.

Here's another discussion idea!

I know we have Adverts, but could we have a Virtual Gallery, where we could offer work-for-sale? Especially in these recessionary times, it could be benificial?

For example, have a set price for an 8 x 10, say 10 euro :eek: or watevr, plus P&P.

So if I really liked one of Cabaals' shots, I could buy it.

Perhaps do a deal with stcstc to provide the prints and postage, for a %.

Won't be too hard to arrange - set price list - owner puts a € symbol in the title bar.

Mrmac that is indeed a Splendid Idea!

As for an * I think it'd be simpler that when you like a photo you could simply quote the post (not the photo...ahermm) and ask them if they'd pop it on the sub- thread.

But, what if that, is just not what someone is interested in?
    By issueing an invite, you make someone accept or ignore it.
    By indicating that you're open to invite is different, or perhaps have a register of members who wish / or don't wish, to be invited.

Mrmac that is indeed a Splendid Idea!

wooohoooooo!

Da power of Brainstorming! :rolleyes:

But, what if that, is just not what someone is interested in?
    By issueing an invite, you make someone accept or ignore it.
    By indicating that you're open to invite is different, or perhaps have a register of members who wish / or don't wish, to be invited.

Sure it's easy to just ignore and crack on regardless. It's not a complicated idea. That's not meant to sound snotty??!!

Sure it's easy to just ignore and crack on regardless. It's not a complicated idea. That's not meant to sound snotty??!!

No snottyness observed :D

Lets just pretend that you're a photo guru :p
    And you're getting 30 invites a day, from 30 different folk.
    How soon will you get pee'd off ignoring people?
    Will people assume you're a snob, just because you won't converse with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

A separate "Photographs" subforum for photos people wish to display, C&C requests, and the random/theme threads.

So: the "Photography" forum for photography discussion, a "Photographs" forum for photograph discussion and display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Here's another discussion idea!

I know we have Adverts, but could we have a Virtual Gallery, where we could offer work-for-sale? Especially in these recessionary times, it could be benificial?

For example, have a set price for an 8 x 10, say 10 euro :eek: or watevr, plus P&P.

So if I really liked one of Cabaals' shots, I could buy it.

Perhaps do a deal with stcstc to provide the prints and postage, for a %.

Won't be too hard to arrange - set price list - owner puts a € symbol in the title bar.

Thats a great idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

charybdis wrote: »
    A separate "Photographs" subforum for photos people wish to display, C&C requests, and the random/theme threads.

So: the "Photography" forum for photography discussion, a "Photographs" forum for photograph discussion and display.

has been discussed before, might dilute the forum a bit much imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Assuming other members would agree, what about 'official sigs', now bear with me.....

Basically I was reading a thread on ideas to improve boards.ie in general and I thought about all the experts out there in all the forums.
    Example:
    If you go into motors, and ask about a particular model, you generally get 'ah "boards username" has one, PM him'
    If you go into cycling, and ask about, I dunno, a cycling event, you get 'ah "boards username" did it last year, PM him'

Basically what Im getting at is - There are experts here in all types of photography subjects (wildlife/gigs/fashion/rally/motorbikes etc..) Maybe a thread for discussing who is good at what. I don't intend this to be just a bit of fun though, more like a certain member can, if willing, become the 'expert' of the forum, and the go-to-guy/girl, should somebody need advice on a particular subject.

Examples:
    AnimalRights always has brilliant gig shots, could be 'official gig photographer'
    Borderfox always has brilliant wildlife shots, could be 'official wildlife photographer'

Now these are just 2 examples, the member would have to be willing to recieve PMs, but most users on here are happy to give advice... Sort of like a mini-moderator, with zero powers:D

Just my two cents...

Stee wrote: »

Basically what Im getting at is - There are experts here in all types of photography subjects (wildlife/gigs/fashion/rally/motorbikes etc..) Maybe a thread for discussing who is good at what. I don't intend this to be just a bit of fun though, more like a certain member can, if willing, become the 'expert' of the forum, and the go-to-guy/girl, should somebody need advice on a particular subject.

Examples:
    AnimalRights always has brilliant gig shots, could be 'official gig photographer'
    Borderfox always has brilliant wildlife shots, could be 'official wildlife photographer'

Just my two cents...

photography is utterly subjective, each sub genre has styles, as a result its rather difficult to define one to a genre, you'd be sending someone to a specific style of a genre, a broader discussion would allow a better gauge of the genre and from there the person in question could go to the photographer with the style he or she wishes to pursue??

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

has been discussed before, might dilute the forum a bit much imo

I'm aware of the previous discussion but I don't think it would be as damaging as some have suggested.

The current "Digital Darkroom"/"Photo Challenge"/"Photographic Expeditions" haven't destroyed the forum.

What I would more broadly suggest is removing the current subforum structure, merging the "Digital Darkroom" subforum with the main forum, and consolidating the photo threads, "Photo Challenge", and "Photographic Expeditions" into one "Photographs" forum. This would provide a clean way of separating photography discussion and the shared photographic exploits of forum members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

I think it would be useful if people occassionally posted up how they got their photo to the finished stage rather than just post the finished article to the Randon Photo thread to which everyone clicks "thanks" and that is generally the end of it

If he doesnt mind his name being mentioned, I am constantly in awe at the consistent quality of the photos posted by Archipel and think that it would be great if he (or other people where applicable) did a "step by step" of what they did to get to the finished product especially in the PP and use of PS or LR so that the rest of us at all levels could learn etc

...provided they dont mind sharing their trade secrets with us that is...:D

Stee wrote: »

.... Basically what Im getting at is - There are experts here in all types of photography subjects (wildlife/gigs/fashion/rally/motorbikes etc..) Maybe a thread for discussing who is good at what. I don't intend this to be just a bit of fun though, more like a certain member can, if willing, become the 'expert' of the forum, and the go-to-guy/girl, should somebody need advice on a particular subject.

I like this idea.
    Kind of a Mentor system of guidance.
    I just wonder who would volunteer to be "Topic Experts"?

ATM there are un-official experts here already, any lurker who's been here awhile could identify some, i.e. stcstc on printing, Borderfox on equestrian sport, humberklog on collage, oshead is doing some fantastic portraits, and Longshanks100 and other young pgs are producing some great shots!

This is just to give an idea of the HUGE talent that's on this forum, so how do you choose an expert?

This idea links in with humberklogs idea of being able to discuss various photos with their creator. There must be a way to discuss techniques, and encourage invention, rather than depend on expert opinion.

Maybe, as per the invite route, we could have "meetings" on IM, where every week we have an invited speaker, who is prepared to discuss one of their shots.

E.G. "So this week we have new member keps to discuss his Horse Racing shots."
    The meeting will be on Fri. 20th at 8pm - 8.30pm etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

New suggestion:

What about if someone is REALLY proud of a picture they've taken they submit it into a threaed and we all link it in our sigs, email it's flickr location to people we know etc., etc in an attempt to get it Explored?

We could chose one or two pics a week and see how we get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    New suggestion:

What about if someone is REALLY proud of a picture they've taken they submit it into a threaed and we all link it in our sigs, email it's flickr location to people we know etc., etc in an attempt to get it Explored?

We could chose one or two pics a week and see how we get on?

The weird thing about Explore is that it does not seem to rely on the number of views a photo gets.

Interesting idea, however.

It struck me that having a Travel Thread, where posters who have found particularly good places for photography could share.
    We do this in an informal way from time to time.
    Having it organised might help to keep links in one place.

No snottyness observed :D

Lets just pretend that you're a photo guru :p
    And you're getting 30 invites a day, from 30 different folk.
    How soon will you get pee'd off ignoring people?
    Will people assume you're a snob, just because you won't converse with them?

I think you've got to realise where we are though.
    There's no point in getting Man Utd. to tog out and then expect them to play rugby.
    This is a chat tinterweb site and this is a photography forum within that chat site: therefore the demographic of most posters would be that of people willing to converse about their photograph on-line within that community.

Sure, sure, some request may be ignored but that's no biggy. I have many off days myself.

I just think it could be a good idea if kept really simple. For e.g I see mrmac has posted a belter and I may have a question re-lighting for e.g. I pop a line up on the Random Site and if this is seen and reponded to then all's well and good. If the message is missed or ignored and the photo doesn't show up on the sub-forum then ok, well and good.
    Simple and descrete.

I've been out playing with my new SLR, very smart it is too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I think it would be nice to have a thread much like the Random Thread, but you only post in there when you are willing to go into very deep detail about exactly what it was you did with the shot and why, both before and after the click.

Basically a place to generate a lot of deep discussion about an actual photograph or technique.

I'd like to get into more of the deeper why's, with the hows just being the starting point basically.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    I think it would be nice to have a thread much like the Random Thread, but you only post in there when you are willing to go into very deep detail about exactly what it was you did with the shot and why, both before and after the click.

Basically a place to generate a lot of deep discussion about an actual photograph or technique.

I'd like to get into more of the deeper why's, with the hows just being the starting point basically.

Problem with that is that it could just end up as a random thread part two. Whereas if it's requested then the merit of the photograph has been awarded through a 2nd person's interest.
    If it's just people putting there own up willy nilly it'd be a Random Photo thread now with added vanity.

Advertisement