Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint

Options
  • 18-06-2009 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

i postet a thread yesterday about alli pills which was blocked after a few minutes even tho alli pills are not illegal or offending.
    there are other threads whcih are offending and show herrasments which are still open and people can post away.
    or you get smart comments from people which are unneccessary and time wasting.

why is it allowed to write about foreigners or even hitler but not about alli pills.

im a german woman and i get offended by those threads, especially hitler is a subject which is highly illegal in germany.

i try to understand the use of this forum and i would appreciate an answer.

thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

sumse wrote: »
    why is it allowed to write about foreigners or even hitler but not about alli pills.

Because Hitler is dead and can no longer murder millions of people. Nor can he sue us if we slag him.

However,
    we know nothing about those pills and we will not give any sort of advice on this forum which could potentially damage the health of any of our members.
    Thus, they could sue.
    im a german woman and i get offended by those threads, especially hitler is a subject which is highly illegal in germany.

It's not illegal here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sumse

Was this suppose to be an explanation?

So you worry about the health but its ok if other mebers get offended?

You should know that we are not talking about Hilter and slag him off.
    Making jokes about him is not the problem.

And if you are the moderator you should know that those threads have another meaning and its going against foreigners like me.

Do you state it in your T&C's that it is ok to demonstarte antisocial behaviour?

Was this suppose to be an explanation?

Yes.
    So you worry about the health

We worry about getting this site into legal problems.
    but its ok if other mebers get offended?

We have no control over peoples feelings or what offends them.
    You should know that we are not talking about Hilter and slag him off.
    Making jokes about him is not the problem.

OK
    But you brought it up in your OP, I was just addressing it.
    And if you are the moderator you should know that those threads have another meaning and its going against foreigners like me.

I have no idea what this has to do with your pills complaint?
    What are you talking about here?
    Do you state it in your T&C's that it is ok to demonstarte antisocial behaviour?

Are you saying you didn't read them before you clicked ok and registered?!
    *shocked*
    Our T&C expect you to behave and respect other users on this site.
    Again, am not sure what that has to do with pills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sumse

I explain it to you again,
    maybe you have a problem with the way i express things? language barrier?

I can not post and ask for an opinion about diet pills but people can post racism comments.
    Is that correct?
    I just dont understand what is wrong in asking for feedback/ experience.
    You allowed alli threads in the past, has something changed?

Can someone please take a complain seriouse here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wow - Godwin's Law in a thread about diet pills! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Could you link to any posts which offend you, please?

As for diet pills, I'd recommend that you stay away from them.
    If you want to lose weight, then exercise and eat healthy food.
    I weigh 120 KG. I would like to get that down to 90 KG. I am exercising and eating healthy food in order to achieve this. I would never even think of taking diet pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

I'm offended by Nazi jokes too, having lost someone in the Nuremberg trials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

sumse, the moderators of the Nutrition and Diet forum are in the middle of a discussion at the moment about whether or not it is acceptable to discuss diet pills in the forum. The aim of the forum is to promote healthy and varied eating, not taking drugs to slim down.

sumse, the moderators of the Nutrition and Diet forum are in the middle of a discussion at the moment about whether or not it is acceptable to discuss diet pills in the forum.

That is a very dangerous route to go down.
    In fact, if you are actually having a serious discussion about it, I presume you've included the medical and legal teams?
    I haven't checked so am just asking here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

At the very least you're going to have to be knowledgeable enough to know what pills are illegal / over the counter / prescription.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I'm not modding there anymore - I'm just reporting what's going on. The vast majority of us it seems do not want any discussion of dieting pills in the forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I dont see why the pills cannot be discussed as only a qualified pharmacist can dispense them and all the side effects are discussed with the prospective client.

Simply because it is dangerous legal grounds to be going around recommending pills to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

I explain it to you again,
    maybe you have a problem with the way i express things? language barrier?

I can not post and ask for an opinion about diet pills but people can post racism comments.
    I am totally with you. There is a clear link between big pharma and the nazis. Some of these companies like Bayer even sponsored Mengele's experiments in the concentration camps.

An alternative to pills would be to switch from teutonic foods such as blackforest gateau and strudel to healthier, kosher alternatives. This way you could reduce your weight and your guilt in one move.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The charter explicitly states that: There will be zero-tolerance of any pro-ana type topics or crash dieting. If you want to discuss your cabbage and rubber band diet that's alright but don't expect much support (or success for that matter). This forum is to promote healthy and varied eating - not to advise you in how to drop a stone in a week.

Diet pills are not a healthy way to lose weight and are not what that forum is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Did anyone else spot the irony that Mr Magnolia's avator looks like a bunch of pills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Simply because it is dangerous legal grounds to be going around recommending pills to people.

Just curious here. Boards.ie is advertising them in one of the links at the top right of this forums page 1. Here. Cant seem to paste the screen capture...

If there is such a kerfuffle, why are they advertised on Boards.ie?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Just curious here. Boards.ie is advertising them in one of the links at the top right of this forums page 1. Here. Cant seem to paste the screen capture...

If there is such a kerfuffle, why are they advertised on Boards.ie?

Thanks.

Boards isn't advertising them, Google is based on words used in the page.

Spear wrote: »
    Boards isn't advertising them, Google is based on words used in the page.

They are still avertisments appearing on Boards.ie though...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That doesn't mean Boards are endorsing them.
    RTE doesn't endorse every product featured in it's advertising space.

And Google Ads are not something that can be easily restricted on a whim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

RTE approves the copy for all its ads. If the ad contains poor advice or libel, RTE would be jointly culpable.

Google AdSense allows for site publishers to review ads - I don't know if boards.ie chooses to review its Google ads, but it could do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

On June 4, 2009, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration released its quarterly list of drugs that are under investigation for potential safety issues or new safety information. Orlistat was included in the list as having a "Potential Signal of Serious Risk" of liver toxicity, meaning that a potential risk of liver toxicity was identified based on reports to the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System between October and December 2008. Isolated cases of orlistat-associated liver problems have been reported before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlistat#Precautions

Alli is a weaker form of Orlistat according to it's own website

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's all a question of where do you draw the line.

It's possible to overdose on Vitamin C and die from drinking too much water in a short space of time.

So theoretically, when a poster says "drink more water" they are potentially giving out life-threatening advice.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

sumse, if the mods or admins of this site decide for any reason to prevent the discussion of any subject, they that is their perogative. All of us are guests here and must obey the rules even if we think they are wrong.

Feedback allows us to express our opinion on those rules and get you an explanation, but it may not change anything.

I can see how the N&D forum could think discussion of alli does not fit the remit of the forum. I can also see that there is a possibility of bad advice on those pills getting boards into trouble. (This aint Germany, our libel laws suck, for one thing.).

Your feelings on racism are a separate issue, and you should always report a post like that if it offends you. This is the only way sometimes that a mod will know someone takes issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

especially hitler is a subject which is highly illegal in germany.

In what way? A far as my knowledge goes it is illegal to deny the Holocaust, display or distribute any fascist symbols or materials (except maybe for educational purposes) including Mein Kampf and Hitlergruß.

It is not illegal in either country to make fun of Hitler and the Nazi, though generally frowned on in Germany as it can be regarded as an attempt to belittle or brush over their crimes.

If it was, Dani Levy (English Link)would certainly be rotting in a German Prison (which in my opinion he should be anyway seeing as the film was muck).

Just because something is of questionable taste, doesn't automatically mean that it is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

That is a very dangerous route to go down.
    In fact, if you are actually having a serious discussion about it, I presume you've included the medical and legal teams?
    I haven't checked so am just asking here.
    Beruthiel it was never a case of any of us recommending them, we were discussing whether discussion of them would be tolerated at all given that their use defies the ethos of the forum.

We've now also further updated the Charter:
    There will be zero-tolerance of any pro-ana topics, discussions of pharmaceutical weight-loss aids or crash dieting. This forum is to promote healthy and varied eating - not to advise you in how to drop a stone in a week.

So from here on in discussion of Alli pills, Xenical, or any other pharmaceutical weight loss pills and their derivatives will not be fodder for discussion ont he forum.

As for Lipotrim and Slender Excellerate, those are still open for now, but we haven't yet reached a concensus on what should be done with them.

crocro wrote: »
    RTE approves the copy for all its ads. If the ad contains poor advice or libel, RTE would be jointly culpable.

Google AdSense allows for site publishers to review ads - I don't know if boards.ie chooses to review its Google ads, but it could do so.

That's what I was thinking. Can the ads be filtered etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

g'em wrote: »
    We've now also further updated the Charter:

So from here on in discussion of Alli pills, Xenical, or any other pharmaceutical weight loss pills and their derivatives will not be fodder for discussion ont he forum.

As for Lipotrim and Slender Excellerate, those are still open for now, but we haven't yet reached a concensus on what should be done with them.

Are Thermogenic supplements included in this like Thermopure?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Any threads IMO which have unqualified people given unqualified advice about what pills to take on any topic is a risky, regardless of any legal implications, the risk of causing harm to someone is greater. Its best that a zero tolerance approach is taken in that regard.

Just because certain pills are available over the counter, doesnt mean that the advice given on the internet is any safer.

• Advertisement

Just to add, I have seen these Alli pills advertised (in large posters) in several pharmacies in Cork over the last two days.

Advertisement