Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Spacing

Options
  • 18-06-2009 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

Whatever genius thought of this idea should be shot.

For those of you who don't know what shared spacing is read this

AFAIK there's shared spacing in Stoneybatter and it seriously cannot be brought in anywhere else.

The reason I bring this up is because some of you may know that I do volunteer work in the NCBI, if you've read any of my other posts and there a few guide dog users and long cane users there.

With shared spacing kerbs become a thing of the past and a guide dog user would have no chance of surviving should a car be speeding down the road. If you didn't know already, guide dogs are trained to stop at kerbs and then wait until it's clear to cross. So if kerbs are eliminated then the guide dog won't know when to stop.

Long cane users have a slight advantage though as there's a significant number of bumps to indicate which is the road and which is the path. Even still it's very dangerous and cannot be allowed to be brought in countrywide.

Just thought I'd make people aware.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 THJ

Good observation. Planners do not always foresee such circumstances when doing their designs. You could bring this to the attention of your local county or city council or the National Roads Authority. It might be best to do it through a guide dog association or an association for the blind.

Advertisement