Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GS300 Running costs

• 18-06-2009 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,i was looking at a spotless 01 lexus GS300 for under €6k . i dont do a lot of mileage and i assume that these cars dont give trouble.good value ?any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My dad had a '00 GS300 Sport and its front suspension and steering caused grief that was never fully resolved despite a lot of money being spent on it. They are notorious for mysterious knocks in the front suspension. It had problems with the coil packs too but overall was a great car. Petrol etc is all manageable really as long as you're not only used to 1.4s...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I own a 98 GS300 which I have had for 3 years. Best car I have ever owned. Very easy to maintain, parts are cheap from USA and I drive it hard! (and average 24mpg :rolleyes:.)

The only problem I had in 3 years was a HT lead vibrated off a spark plug! (Probbly never pushed on 100% when plugs changed previous year)

Yes, there are some minor issues with the front suspension, namely the front ball-joints and the castor arms bushing (Horizontal bar between chassis and the wheel hub shaped a bit like the letter 'S') being too soft but are easily fixable.

Huge resources from www.clublexus.com with a DIY for nearly everthing on the car

For the front suspension just get the parts from th USA!, I got the following which improved the cars handling 10,000% from: http://www.tmengineering.net/suspension/daizen/make/gs.html

Genuine ball-joints $145
    Aftermarket steering rack bushings $40
    Aftermarket anti-roll bar bushings $30
    Aftermarket caster arm bushings $100
    Shipping $70.

Total €276 , genuine ball-joint in this country are around €130 EACH!, so for an extra €16 you get a lot of parts!

The steering rack and anti-roll bar bushings are a 20 min job each and the improvements for the price you would be foolish not to do it. They are installed with very little tools! (The caster arm bushing replacement is a few hours).

The other items to watch out for is any oil leaks from the rear crankshaft oil seal (between engine and gearbox)., warped brake discs (pulsing of brake pedal or shaking steering wheel during braking due to cheap discs being fit.

The engine is bullet proof and was shared with the Supra. With no internal work these engines can be turbo'd to 600bhp+, but the gearbox will only take around 450hp.

There is a rare jap import with the genuine 2jz-gte supra turbo engine called the toyota aristo (<-bonkers mad!)

Advertisement