Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midsummer Festival

Options
  • 18-06-2009 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Has anybody been to any of the Midsummer Festival events? What do people think? You can post your reviews here.

The Street Performers Championship in the Park last weekend was very well received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Jimmy1bob

Went to Spiegeltent and saw the lucky seven cabaret club who very good, especially The Boy With Tape on His Face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I went to that debate thing yesterday. Great Craic. Pizza was wonderful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

I thought this was very well organised, there was a fantastic atmosphere and the performances themselves were brilliant. Thumbs up! Great O'Flynn's sausages and different food stalls like Caribbean Curry. Lots for kids to do, just a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Has anybody been to any of the Midsummer Festival events? What do people think? You can post your reviews here.

The Street Performers Championship in the Park last weekend was very well received.

I wondered if they shouldn't have put the performers on stages, raised off the ground a bit. I arrived mid afternoon and couldn't see a lot from behind people crowding around each performance space. Incidently I'm 6'1" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Max001 wrote: »
    I wondered if they shouldn't have put the performers on stages, raised off the ground a bit. I arrived mid afternoon and couldn't see a lot from behind people crowding around each performance space. Incidently I'm 6'1" :)

I think putting them on stage would defeat the purpose of street performance - close interaction with the audience, being at the same level as the performers, etc.

• Advertisement

Hollander now SOLD OUT apparently :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Went to see 'Slick' on Saturday, it was so funny! Really well done, even if some parts were a bit sick. But I would definitely recommend people to go to it.

I saw Sussurus (http://www.corkmidsummer.com/2009/events/susurrus) over the weekend and can highly recommend it. It's running in Fitzgerald Park and the current good weather really make you see the park at its best while listening to the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

I went to Hollander on Saturday night. It was excellent. Really well done and original.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

What's coming up next?
    Have they done the screening of the big labowski yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was at for an hour or so. Saw the breakdancers from New York, who were awesome!
    Jimmy1bob wrote: »
    Went to Spiegeltent and saw the lucky seven cabaret club who very good, especially The Boy With Tape on His Face.

I was at that too. It was different from what I was expecting, but fantastic! The Boy with Tape on his Face was very original and very skilled to make people laugh without speaking! The two girls were spectacular at the end as well.

I saw MedEia in the County Hall recently. It was very well done, as you'd expect from corcadorca. The setting was fabulous - great views from the top of county hall.
    But, the piece is clearly designed to tour internationally as it didn't reference or use the location as much as in other corcadorca site-specific stuff I've seen. The play could really have taken place anywhere - which is useful if you need to tour. But is that really site-specific theatre then???

In saying that, very good performances, well designed visually. Well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

'Red Lola' was also a great show. I would recommend people to go to it if it's performed again somewhere.

Actually, do many of the plays tour around afterwards, and what does it depend on?

The focus this year was very much on bringing international festival organisers to Cork with the view to touring these new Cork shows to an international audience. (kind of a reciprocal arrangement to that which brought the three 'Scottish Plays' to Cork this year).
    I'd expect to see Hollander do another run here in Cork first due to the small capacity and huge demand (it sold out quickly).

Advertisement