Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping weeds off Beech Headge

Options
  • 18-06-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Is there a safe weed spray I can use without harming my new beech hedge?
    I dont think it would be a good idea to use round-up.
    I read another thread here about putting some waving piping around the trees, but i have 600 trees to look after
    At the moment Im strimming the general area around hedge and using a clippers up close to the hedge to avoid damaging them, very slow work.

Any idea of a safe weed killer ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Just strimming won't do much good as the weed roots are still there and competing with your hedge. Could you put landscaping fabric down and cover it with bark chippings? I would suggest cutting a slit in the fabric halfway through the width of the fabric so that you can pull the fabric in around each tree (not sure if this is making sense). Basically, lay out the length of fabric (usually 30ft) and cut halfway into it every 12 inches or however far apart your plants are spaced. then pull the slits in around the plants so that your plants are now surrounded by the fabric. Then cover over with bark chippings and voila! Landscaping fabric rolls are usually 3ft wide so you should have 1.5ft each side of your hedge protected from weeds with the plant sitting in the middle.

Labour intensive I know, but at least it only needs to be done once and then no more weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Just strimming won't do much good as the weed roots are still there and competing with your hedge. Could you put landscaping fabric down and cover it with bark chippings? I would suggest cutting a slit in the fabric halfway through the width of the fabric so that you can pull the fabric in around each tree (not sure if this is making sense). Basically, lay out the length of fabric (usually 30ft) and cut halfway into it every 12 inches or however far apart your plants are spaced. then pull the slits in around the plants so that your plants are now surrounded by the fabric. Then cover over with bark chippings and voila! Landscaping fabric rolls are usually 3ft wide so you should have 1.5ft each side of your hedge protected from weeds with the plant sitting in the middle.

Labour intensive I know, but at least it only needs to be done once and then no more weeds.

Ya I was actually thinking of going down that road alright.
    But I could still do with a hedge friendly spray that I could use to burn off the weeds before throwing down the fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

alibabba wrote: »
    Ya I was actually thinking of going down that road alright.
    But I could still do with a hedge friendly spray that I could use to burn off the weeds before throwing down the fabric.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

what's +1? is that some spray?

no, it means I am also looking for a hedge friendly spray that I could use to burn off the weeds before throwing down the fabric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Qwerty? wrote: »
    no, it means I am also looking for a hedge friendly spray that I could use to burn off the weeds before throwing down the fabric.

There's no need to kill them off with weedkiller - blocking light will do that quickly enough anyway once you lay the fabric plus a good thick layer of bark chippings on top.

am a bit slow.. make that +2 so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

+ 3 (sorry to mess with your head :D)
    Same prob though, gotta be a spray option :mad:

i'm going down the weed control fabric + bark mulch route - have 200 trees and it's fairly time consuming!! anyone know where one can get bark mulch in bulk for a fair price? don't need full load of 20cubic metres

Came across this article from teagasc on my travels through cyberspace in search of the solution to the beech hedge blues - mentions some spray [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]propyzamide (Kerb)?? dont' know what that is tho!:o[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    http://www.client.teagasc.ie/environment/natural_heritage/wildlife_habitats/hedgerows/establishing_a_new_farm_hedgerow.asp

I'm looking at getting 60m3 from Cor Na Mona. (3 loads of 20m3) But they can arrange delivery of less than 20m3 afaik. Also you could try www.nulifemulch.ie also based in Galway.

• Advertisement

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting 60m3 from Cor Na Mona. (3 loads of 20m3) But they can arrange delivery of less than 20m3 afaik. Also you could try www.nulifemulch.ie also based in Galway.

here are the prices i got for the natural bark mulch

mcgaughs, headford road - €25 a scoop which is 6 bags roughly - no delivery
    cnm.ie - 10m3 load €390 delivery included, €680 full load
    horkans, claregalway - 3m3 bags €199 - no delivery
    www.nulifemulch.com- €35/m3 €270 for 6m3 including delivery to oranmore

Advertisement