Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Work Experience

• 18-06-2009 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi Guys & Gals

Quick question. I am currently doing work experience in a medium sized solicitors' firm. While I feel I have learnt a lot so far, I would like to know what other people did while on work experience.

I want to get the most out of the opportunity but at the same time, I don't want to inconvenience the solicitors.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

/i know its obvious but I think the most important thing is realy try to impress, in the current climate a glowing refernce could make all the difference. Also try and network as best you can, make sure you introduce yourself to as many people as you can in the Industry etc.If you don't mind me asking how did you go about getting the work experience? Its something I'm going to try and get soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Working in a firm at the moment, finishing soon, here's some of what I've been at in the last few weeks, been lucky to be involved in a lot of areas

Financial Irregularity Claims - Preparing and sending letters of claim, instructions to counsel etc

Personal Injury - chasing various parties for costs, estimating quantum for claims based on previous cases, sitting in on meetings with clients

Medical Negligence - chasing expert reports, contacting parties, seeking disclosures of records

Professional Negligence - contacting parties etc.

Litigation - preparing trial bundles, issuing claims, contacting client and defence solicitors

Crime/RTA - chasing for payment of damages from central funds, attending ID parade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭panda142

Can I ask how ye went about getting this work experience?

Also, Arsenal, Jev/N and CavanGal have ye completed the FE1s??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Where are you based cavangal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

JOE's clever!

panda142, I have 3 done but I don't think the firm cared if I had any done or not. I'm here for work experience only. I know for definite I will not be getting an apprenticeship.

I got the work by simply walking into the reception and asking to speak to one of the partners. I would recommend doing this as a CV is just a faceless piece of paper and a solicitor is unlikely to trouble themselves running after you when ultimately it is you who will benefit! Be prepared to wait in receptions, visit lots of firms and work for free. Target the larger firms as some small town firms may literally not have a spare desk for you to sit at. Once you're in, the photocopier becomes your BBF!!!

Jev/N, thanks that exactly the stuff I need.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

CavanGal wrote: »
    JOE's clever!

Many Prospective solicitors seeking traineeships move to Dublin to improve their chances at securing an apprenticeship...

I merely asked as if you were based in Dublin it would be easier to explain different things you could do outside the office...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Sorry JOE, I thought you were making a funny. My mistake. :o

Im based in Cavan. Im not really looking for an apprenticeship at the moment as I plan to do the rest of the FE1s in October and go teaching abroad for a year to try and ride out the recession. However, any advice you can give would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RachTheRage

Not completely on topic but I know of an opening in a Dublin firm - it's reception work but they usually always promote internally, all trainees were once secretaries/legal execs/receptionists etc. I'm sure the money will be awful but if you're looking for a foot in the door PM me and i'll give you an email address to send a CV

Advertisement