Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program similar to Cabbage for England?

• 18-06-2009 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Hey, wondering if anyone here can help me. I use Cabbage to send texts on my phone all the time and this works great! (Thanks Sam!:D)

My question is is there a similar program that someone knows about that will work for english networks? Brothers gf is in england so is wondering is there similar program to use to send texts?

Had a bit of a google but without a program name not much useful comes up.

Thanks for your help.
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Cabbage supports a few services besides webtexts like www.smsdiscount.com, www.lowratevoip.com and www.voipcheap.com. You can send texts that appear to come from your number but they're not free and you need a credit card. It's about 3-5c per text depending on where you're texting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I guess you could always give sam some login details and he'll throw some support in or something together for the uk one's too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Thanks Lads,

Sam I'll ask him this evening if she wants to sign up for them. But i think she wishes to do it exactly as i do, using cabbage to send webtexts (to domestic and international numbers).

@random - I think that is a very good idea!;) Seriously though, would say I would do it myself with Sams permission but I would not have a CLUE re programming!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Do the UK networks have webtexts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

orange does but i think its only around 30 texts a month, least that what was on my account 2 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't o2 uk offer about 30 or so?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Do the UK networks have webtexts?

Was on to brother there & she logged in and has 10 and can buy more...so that kind of defeats the plan - lack of webtexts clearly explains why there is a lack of programs similar to cabbage for english networks. we just assumed o2 would have same webtexts etc setup over there as she saw me using cabbage and was like hmmm!

Thanks anyways!:)

Just on another thought. Would the best way for them to text when he is home to use something like smsdiscount through cabbage? they can both use this on either side if they have accounts and avoid paying international text rates?

Am i right in thinking this?

eoferrall wrote: »
    Just on another thought. Would the best way for them to text when he is home to use something like smsdiscount through cabbage? they can both use this on either side if they have accounts and avoid paying international text rates?

Am i right in thinking this?

If it's just a boyf/gf texting each other then the cheapest way is for both of them to get O2 IRL sim cards and use their web texts (but not actually use them in their phones). The texts won't come from the right number but they just have to remember to write a new text to the right number instead of replying to the wrong one. I've done it myself a few times when either myself or my gf were away and it worked out fine.

But if someone with an english number wants to use something like cabbage and have the texts come from the right number then the the smsdiscount type services are probably the best option

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    If it's just a boyf/gf texting each other then the cheapest way is for both of them to get O2 IRL sim cards and use their web texts (but not actually use them in their phones). The texts won't come from the right number but they just have to remember to write a new text to the right number instead of replying to the wrong one. I've done it myself a few times when either myself or my gf were away and it worked out fine.

But if someone with an english number wants to use something like cabbage and have the texts come from the right number then the the smsdiscount type services are probably the best option

Do they need to top up every now and then to keep the o2sim active etc? but that sounds a good option alright and yes it is just for them to text each other.

eoferrall wrote: »
    Do they need to top up every now and then to keep the o2sim active etc? but that sounds a good option alright and yes it is just for them to text each other.

Afaik you just have to make a chargeale call every 6 months on O2. So just put the sim in a phone and make a 2 second call every 6 months. I might be corrected on that though

edit:looks right:
    7.3. If you do not Top-up or make a chargeable use of your Account (being a use which results in a reduction of the credit on your Account or use of a pre-purchased Service such as Text Bundles or any other pre-purchased service that O2 may provide from time to time) at least once in any six (6) month period O2 reserves the right to suspend the Service.
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About+O2/Terms+and+Conditions/Speak+easy/Speak+easy+service

Advertisement