Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1990 vw

• 18-06-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Ok a weird thing happened the other day. I inherited a vw golf off my grand aunt last year. It is a 1990 and looks like an old golf really.]

So anyway i was parked outside the bank and when i came out of the bank to my car there was this man standing there offering me 4grand for the thing. He wouldnt exactly tell me why but he did seem to be very fond of my car.( and he did not seem insane) I got his number and all. I am half considering calling him up to accept his offer if it is genuine.

I said i would post here to see why the hell my car would be worth that when i thought it wouldnt even be worthy of scrap.

All i know is that the car is a mark one and has been kept very well. the upholstry is pretty good condition and mileage is around 50K.

ill let you know if he is genuine when i call him tomorrow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What type exactly is the car?

If a 1990 is it not a Mark 2? Is it a GTi? Any link to pictures of it? You'll get a better response if you did - even find an identical one online

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

dont rush into anything, if someone offers you €4k for something which isnt for sale then its probably worth more! do your research, look at the vehicle documentation, check out on the net! If it was me I wouldnt ring the guy, I'd do all my research and if I decided to sell it then I'd advertise/ put on ebay or whatever is the best forum for what may be a valuable item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Is it a convertible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

it just looks like any other old golf. it is not a convertible and only has two head lamps not 4. this is why i think it is mark 1. It is not Gti also. My car is a 5 door also and strangely enough i cant find any 5 door versions of my car on the net.

Im doing a bit of research and the only thing i can find is that maybe they are collectors items and that the guy just wants a good condition old VW. The mileage is quite low i suppose and i think it has all its original parts. I can see how that would be attractive to a collector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If it's a 1990 it's a Mk2. The GTI and Driver versions had 4 headlamps as standard and it was also an optional extra.

If it's a 1.3 standard car and he's offering 4k for it he's either insane or it holds some sentimental value (previous owner?)

• Advertisement

ok the car looks like this one except has the single head lamps and maybe the shape is a bit different (only slightly)

http://www.autometrix.co.uk/images/classifieds/09january/GL-3.jpg

39307755__1243034258__1__1-0c6fb3d4c928d1d98efd7b29520f6dba.__big__.jpg

39307755__1243034258__0__2-eb11928e7509bda160fab52f9232874a.__big__.jpg

Like this one then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A clean Mk2 GTI is making about 2500-3000. So unless there is some sentimental value, or the car is a low mile, mint condition, one owner car from new, I can't really see 4k being a serious offer.

yeah like that one. Sure ill call him there tomorrow see if he is still interested. It could be sentimental reasons also. He was around 40. Maybe he owned one and fell in love with it. I dunno. I personally dont love this car. would'nt mind a bmw. Probably get an ok one for 4K.

Thanks for the advice. I will still remain cautious through whatever transaction takes place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I will still remain cautious through whatever transaction takes place.

I would have eaten his hand along with his money, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Onkle wrote: »

If it's a 1.3 standard car and he's offering 4k for it he's either insane or it holds some sentimental value (previous owner?)

I'd rekon thats whats it. Op look at the tax disc, it will tell you what size engine were looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

So long as it's not a G60 Limited Edition.....I'd let it go for 4k in a heartbeat ;)

2667_f520.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Nforce wrote: »
    So long as it's not a G60 Limited Edition.....I'd let it go for 4k in a heartbeat ;)

2667_f520.jpg
    You just read my mind.;)

:D

If it's the case that it IS a G60 Limited...........I'll give ya 5k for it ;) :pac:

I'll go 6...

Let the bidding war begin!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Six thousand and 1

landyman wrote: »
    Six thousand and 1

€7k no bother.

I'd be a bad purchaser if I said what the last Irish one sold for :P:D

I'd be a bad purchaser if I said what the last Irish one sold for :P:D
    I saw a pic of the last Irish one on a trailer on its way back to Germany!;)

Anan1 wrote: »

Pity that... Like that Irish Gullwing Merc that was spotted on the back of an English reg truck/trailor, hopefully not gone for good.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »

Is that where she went?...Would have been nice to keep in this country. A very well kept example too.

PS. 7.5k :D

my car does look like that. but i dont think it is that model.

my car does look like that. but i dont think it is that model.
    If it was a G60 Limited, you'd know. There was only one in Ireland. Was for sale for 24k iirc. Don't know what it went for in the end

ah i see. WHy did they only make one? was it made for a special occassion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Can you take some pics with your phone and upload them or something? You don't seem to know much about the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Or PM me the licence plate and I'll run a cartell thing on it - just to find out the model!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I bet it was his first car or theres another sentimental reason - either way the offer is very generous

ah i see. WHy did they only make one? was it made for a special occassion?

There were only around 70 built by VW Motorsport,all left hand drive iirc. The ultimate wolf in sheeps clothing with 210bhp, 4 wheel drive and up until the launch of the R32....the most powerful production VW Golf ever built.

its a golf cl, 5 door. other than its great condition it should not be worth more than 1K. I havent been able to get hold of the guy again. Left a message though. sure if i sell it for what he offered ill let you all know why etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement