Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak?

Options
  • 18-06-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I have to confess, i only started eating steak medium rare about a year ago. I was ignorant enough to think it wasn't cooked unless it was well done. One of my mates introduced it to me and i've been enjoying steaks alot more since!

So how do you like yours?

(I took the poll options from the Wikipedia page on steaks, i might be missing something?)

How do you like your steak cooked? 142 votes

Raw
    0% 0 votes
    Blue rare or very rare
    0% 1 vote
    Rare
    9% 13 votes
    Medium rare
    18% 26 votes
    Medium
    35% 50 votes
    Medium Plus (More than medium, but not quite medium well.)
    14% 20 votes
    Medium well done
    7% 10 votes
    Well done
    9% 13 votes
    I don't eat steak
    6% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I've voted for medium because that is how I usually enjoy it. Unfortunately ordering medium in a restaurant though usually means you get a steak that's well done. Order medium rare and you tend to get rare...I once got a steak that was only partly sealed!

When I am in a really good restaurant I will order medium rare, as I know it will be done to perfection.

So I like it somewhere between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Well done, not a trace of pink (yes, I know, I'm an uncultured peasant!) But I rarely eat steak anyway ... see what I did there?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I like thinner steaks- like sirlion medium rare, and if im having a fillet I usually have it medium.

Totally agree that medium often equals well done though. :(

Tis a 'rare' thing to get a perfectly cooked steak!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A thick steak, rare but well charred on the outside.:P

I find it hard to get a steak cooked to my liking in France.
    Ask for it rare and it comes blue, ask for it medium and it comes, well, a bit under medium. They don't seem to have anything in between.

'Oh the foreign heathen want his steak cooked to death!'

No, I just want it a little warm in the centre and be able to chew it, merci.

They also cook cuts of steak very rare that are just too tough for this sortt of cooking - bavette springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Still moo-ing, straight off the cow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Medium or medium rare, depending on my mood. I was brought up by a mother who doesn't think meat is cooked until it's incinerated, but I didn't realise this until I was about 18. So I've gone from ordering steak well done, to medium well, to medium. If I'm feeling brave, I order it medium rare. Part of me still has a problem with blood oozing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

Medium for moi.

If it arrives at the table on the rare side I'll eat it.

If it's the other side of medium I have no qualms about sending it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,467 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Depends on the cut, rib eye- should be medium at least, fillet- should flinch when you stick the fork in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I like sirloin and ribeye cooked rare on a seeringly hot ridgepan. I now do this in the garden as the extractor fan in the kitchen is rubbish.

I like a fillet of beef cooked as a whole cut, not as steaks. Coloured in a hot pan then into a 65c oven for an hour or more. Result is medium rare fillet of beef from 2mm under the surface all the way to the core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

I have to confess, i only started eating steak medium rare about a year ago. I was ignorant enough to think it wasn't cooked unless it was well done. One of my mates introduced it to me and i've been enjoying steaks alot more since!

Same as - never had it very rare but probably will someday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Blue - I like it still cold in the middle, with oodles of blood to dip my chips in.

Even asking for it blue, I would say 7 times out of 10 I have to send it back for being overcooked. I genuinely think most waiters just write "medium rare" on the order regardless of what I say. Sure I'm a girl, I couldn't possibly actually want a blue steak...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Faith wrote: »
    I was brought up by a mother who doesn't think meat is cooked until it's incinerated
    I feel your pain here.
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Blue - I like it still cold in the middle, with oodles of blood to dip my chips in.

Even asking for it blue, I would say 7 times out of 10 I have to send it back for being overcooked. I genuinely think most waiters just write "medium rare" on the order regardless of what I say. Sure I'm a girl, I couldn't possibly actually want a blue steak...

I doubt it, it's probably because the chef can't cook a blue steak properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Friend of mine reckons the best way to have it is "to just wipe its arse and put it on a plate"

I heard France is the place for blue steaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

blue to rare for me mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

should have been a cremated option :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I like it medium rare to rare, which means in restaurants I tend to ask for rare as then I might get it the way I like it. When I ask for medium rare 8 out of 10 times it comes out overcooked.

In France the thing to ask for is your steak "a poin" (please note this is a phonetic interpretation of the real spelling which I do not know) this will generally get it cooked to a little rarer than medium rare.

And now I want steak for dinner...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... In France the thing to ask for is your steak "a poin" (please note this is a phonetic interpretation of the real spelling which I do not know) this will generally get it cooked to a little rarer than medium rare.

Not bad on the French: good phonetic guide to à point, which is the French version of medium and is, indeed, cooked as you describe.

Rare in French is saignant, which literally translates as "bleeding". That's the way I like it. Servers, used to British and Irish people liking their steaks cooked a bit more than the French do, usually check that I really understand what I am asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Having mine with lasagne right now. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

I don't eat steak, I have been given good steak and bad steak, I honestly think it all tastes like dog. Well the smell of dog if you get me heh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How do you like your dogs cooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

My new, absolute favouritest way of having steak is...

....on a hot stone.

Over here, its *so* 80s that its just tacky and out of date....but with a good steak, its hard to beat.

You get a steak which has been seared on both sides (not even cooked enough to qualify as blue), and then placed on a stone heated enough to be a sizzling plate. This is served to your table.

This way, I get to strt with blue steak, move on to rare, and by the time I'm at the end, I have medium or medium-well, depending on how slowly I'm eating.

With "genuine" Simmental beef (purebred Simmental breed, raised, slaughtered, hung, ordered and served in the Simmental), its just-about the best steak I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I heard France is the place for blue steaks.

In france they eat steak tartar which is minced steak with a raw egg yolk in the middle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Degag wrote: »
    In france they eat steak tartar which is minced steak with a raw egg yolk in the middle...

"They" eat that here too, you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 PinkLady001

A medium steak for me thanks.
    I can't quite stomach it yet when it's too pink and there's a bit too much bllod. I am doing well though, have gone from very well done steak to medium-well to medium now.
    My OH has gone the same way but he is at the medium-rare stage.
    I hve to agree, it is very hard to get a steak cooked properly in Ireland.
    I've been in the same restaurant twice in the last few weeks, ordered my steak the same way and it came out cooked differently both times.

I remember serving a blue steak to a customer once when I was a waitress and could barley look at the thing on the plate. Each to their own though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Useless fact No 1

The pink liquid that gives rare or raw meat it's colour is called myoglobin and isn't a component of blood. So there is no blood in a bloody steak. Reminds me of my favourite joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

medium for me, although I find I have to ask for well done to get it medium in most places in town?

On a funny note I remember being on holidays when I was in my teens and my grandmother was with us. The waiter came over and said "How do you like your steak" My grandmother replied "It does be lovely thanks."
    Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Faith wrote: »
    Medium or medium rare, depending on my mood. I was brought up by a mother who doesn't think meat is cooked until it's incinerated, but I didn't realise this until I was about 18. So I've gone from ordering steak well done, to medium well, to medium. If I'm feeling brave, I order it medium rare. Part of me still has a problem with blood oozing out.

i had the same. at home all meat was cooked well done, for many years thats all i knew. Then i had my first bit of pink;) and never looked back!

Medium Rare for me please!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sham69 wrote: »
    medium for me, although I find I have to ask for well done to get it medium in most places in town?

On a funny note I remember being on holidays when I was in my teens and my grandmother was with us. The waiter came over and said "How do you like your steak" My grandmother replied "It does be lovely thanks."
    Classic.

A properly cooked medium steak is quite pink in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 PinkLady001

Minder wrote: »
    Useless fact No 1

reminds me of my favourite joke.

Would you like to share?

Yeah, I've been told many times before that it's actually protein but it still looks like blood! I am getting better with it though.

Advertisement