Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Would you like to share?

The Pope is planning a trip to London so he sends one of his cardinals on ahead, to make all the necessary arrangements and plan the route for the Popemobile etc.

After a busy morning, meeting dignitaries and walking the proposed route, the cardinal gets rather peckish and decides to stop off at a little steak house.

"I'll have a ten ounce sirloin please" he says to the waiter.

"Certainly sir and how would you like it your Grace?" he replies.

The cardinal explains that he would like it rare, upon which the waiter yells "One bloody steak" towards the kitchen at the rear of the restaurant.

"I say my good man" says the cardinal, "I don't think there is any need for that sort of language in the presence of a man of the cloth!"

"No, you don't understand" replies the waiter, "That is how we refer to a rare steak".

Happy with the explanation, the cardinal apologies for the misunderstanding, eats his meal and leaves.

A few days later, the cardinal is accompanying the Pope on his official visit, when lunchtime approaches and His Holiness complains of hunger pangs.

Seeing an opportunity to ingratiate himself with the Pope, the cardinal informs him that he knows of a great little steak house which just happens to be nearby.

With the Popes agreement, the cardinal leads the way and they seat themselves at a table in the restaurant.

Seeing another opportunity to impress the Pope, the cardinal beckons the waiter and as he approaches the table says, in a loud voice, "Two bloody steaks please my man".

"That's right, you tell him" says the Pope "and plenty of f***ing chips!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not bad on the French: good phonetic guide to à point, which is the French version of medium and is, indeed, cooked as you describe.

Rare in French is saignant, which literally translates as "bleeding". That's the way I like it. Servers, used to British and Irish people liking their steaks cooked a bit more than the French do, usually check that I really understand what I am asking for.

But I often find that when I order a steak a point, they overcompensate for the 'foreigner' and over cook it or else bring it almost raw!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

But I often find that when I order a steak a point, they overcompensate for the 'foreigner' and over cook it or else bring it almost raw!

That overcompensation does not happen for me. Perhaps it is because both Herself and I can speak French, even though not well enough to be taken for natives -- but perhaps well enough to suggest that we have been in France before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

rare for me

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Blue for me all the way..............with a scrummy home made Bernaise sauce to dip my chips in..heaven on a plate:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I had a steak to day it left me feeling horribly full...

That overcompensation does not happen for me. Perhaps it is because both Herself and I can speak French, even though not well enough to be taken for natives -- but perhaps well enough to suggest that we have been in France before.

My wife lived in Paris for 5 years.
    She has a few words!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Des wrote: »
    Still moo-ing, straight off the cow.

The best way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I rarely eat steak but if I am I'd have a rare-medium rare. Anything else is too burgerish. At the restaurant I work in people mostly order medium or well-done. Anything else isn't very common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Raw or blue. Raw or blue steak actually tends to be less "bloody" than rare since it hasn't warmed enough for the juice to start flowing as much as with rare.

I find I get better results by saying "French Blue, not Irish Blue".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

not burnt but still well done the way i like it! must get the venison steaks out of the freezer. They go down well with thick home made chips! mmm.!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

On my plate on the way to my tummy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

robbie_998 wrote: »
    On my plate on the way to my tummy :rolleyes:

dead or alive:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

ayapatrick wrote: »
    dead or alive:D

its all good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I too grew up in a house where steaks were incinerated. They were fried and then put in the oven until they were literally crispy. When I think about biting into steak cooked by my mother my teeth hurt.

I like mine medium rare. I love having medium rare steak in a steak sandwich because the bread soaks up all the pink and red juices. Heaven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've never really been a fan. I find it to be a bit overrated.

ayapatrick wrote: »
    not burnt but still well done the way i like it! must get the venison steaks out of the freezer. They go down well with thick home made chips! mmm.!:D

:eek::eek::eek: Nooooooo!!!!
    Venison goes really dry if it isn't cooked rare or slow cooked- cooks much faster than beef too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Freelancebeauty

I notice there are almost no "well doners" on this thread - I like mine well done still - have been trying to train myself to eat it mediumish but always end up putting it back in the pan for a minute as the taste is completely different. I never order it in restaurants as I know it won't be cooked how I like it. (Chefs hate to cook well done steaks apparently). I reckon I'll be able for a blue steak by the time I'm 90! :D It has to be served with fried mushrooms and skinny chips - everything else is debabable.. Garlic, pepper or brandy sauces all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

If I'm having a steak whilst eating out I'll order a fillet cooked medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Medium rare with Fried onions, proper smooth mash and Pepper sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Was never a fan of Steak for years turns out it was because of my mothers " cook it till its overdone, and then cook it some more " approach to all meats. Irish Mums were great for that kind of thing. I go for Medium rare, I've had rare and even blue before prefer it medium rare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Blue, with a little bit of bernaise sauce- yummy! I couldn't eat a medium or well done steak, they're awful!

Ever notice that 'we doners' will claim that they "can't" eat a steak cooked any less but will expect someone who likes steak rare to get over themselves and eat it well done if the situation requires.

For example at a dinner party, once, a beef wellington had to be cooked well done because one guest claimed he "couldn't" eat it any other way and to hell with everyone else!
    As it turned out, the host did extremely well and the fillet, being quite narrow at one end and thick at the other had a nice gradient of doneness to suit everyone. But the one guest would ave been quite happy to have made everyone eat well done beef wellington! Eugh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ever notice that 'we doners' will claim that they "can't" eat a steak cooked any less but will expect someone who likes steak rare to get over themselves and eat it well done if the situation requires.

For example at a dinner party, once, a beef wellington had to be cooked well done because one guest claimed he "couldn't" eat it any other way and to hell with everyone else!
    As it turned out, the host did extremely well and the fillet, being quite narrow at one end and thick at the other had a nice gradient of doneness to suit everyone. But the one guest would ave been quite happy to have made everyone eat well done beef wellington! Eugh!!!

That guest should just have been given an overdone Birds Eye frozen quarter-pounder. It would have tasted about the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dano

Medium Plus (More than medium, but not quite medium well.)

Nice but it'll never happen

Advertisement