Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not a thread for alfa bashers... :)

• 18-06-2009 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Folks,
    I've a 05 Alfa 156 1.9mJtd 140bhp
    It's in perfect condition and is spotless inside and out (except for usual stone chips etc due to mileage). Has a full service history from Grandons in Cork and it has been totally reliable for me. I've had it a year and put 40,000 miles on it.

Not living at home anymore and thinking about selling...

How much, as a ballpoint do you thing this car would be worth... it has 156,000 Miles on the clock and that's why I can't judge from carzone!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Keep it for when you are home or bring it to where you are. Any offers will be brutal. If its running well can someone look after it while you're away?

PS -Proof to all the Alfa bashers that they do make good un's:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

JMcCR wrote: »
    Folks,
    I've a 05 Alfa 156 1.9mJtd 140bhp
    It's in perfect condition and is spotless inside and out (except for usual stone chips etc due to mileage). Has a full service history from Grandons in Cork and it has been totally reliable for me. I've had it a year and put 40,000 miles on it.

Not living at home anymore and thinking about selling...

How much, as a ballpoint do you thing this car would be worth... it has 156,000 Miles on the clock and that's why I can't judge from carzone!!

We've just sold a 05 156 2.4JTDm (full spec, sat nav, leather etc) with around 240,000km to the driver for €3,000. Only managed to get that amount because he knows the full history of the car.

I'd say you'd be lucky to get €2,500 as a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

TBH, i'd keep it too. I bought a mint 1.6 sportivo last yr with 90k for around that figure too. They just don't hold it.
    Mines got 123k now and still going like a train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is the reason I was thinking of buying a 156, they're so cheap! I know you can have problem, but if you get one from someone you know, and are aware that it's been fairly reliable, then it would take some beating. Getting an 05 car for under 3 grand is well worth thinking about.

Hmmmm.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

R.O.R wrote: »
    We've just sold a 05 156 2.4JTDm (full spec, sat nav, leather etc) with around 240,000km to the driver for €3,000.

240k or 24k km!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Some good advice there ^^^

If it was my car, I'd cry to have to sell it for €2.5k :(

BTW, what's the Rotterdam in your location about, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

unkel wrote: »
    BTW, what's the Rotterdam in your location about, OP?

I'm guessing that's why he has no use for the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Matt Simis wrote: »
    240k or 24k km!?

240,000 KM

Apparently the service bills have been horrendous for the company (thank god we weren't maintaining it), but the driver is retiring and loves the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

jor el wrote: »
    I'm guessing that's why he has no use for the car.

Spot on! :D

I'm not sure how long I'll be here though so I'm a bit undecided. I think the above posts are clear enough. Keep it.... and even store it if nessessary till I'm back again.

It would be so hard to sell anyway, it's become my baby and put so many smiles on my face. Amazing how fast we can get attached to em eh!

Thanks a lot for the replies folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    Some good advice there ^^^

If it was my car, I'd cry to have to sell it for €2.5k :(

+1

For the little value it would represent, it's not going to depriciate much more by keeping it for however length of time until you come back.

Is it 156km's or miles? Seeing as it's 05 I thought it would be in km's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Is it a saloon or sportwagon? If you are thinking of selling it, let me know, I may be interested.

Its miles. It was registered just at the start of 05 so I'm guessing the clocks weren't changed and it was probably sitting there from the end 04?
    Not sure to be honest.

It's a saloon but the chances of me selling are slim if the prices above are anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

JMcCR wrote: »
    Its miles. It was registered just at the start of 05 so I'm guessing the clocks weren't changed and it was probably sitting there from the end 04?
    Not sure to be honest.

It's a saloon but the chances of me selling are slim if the prices above are anything to go by.

Just curious, but what would you expect it to make? Having the equivilant of 250,000 kms?

I'd have hoped at min, double the 2.5k anyway!! but I'm not in Ireland to see just how bad the markets gone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

R.O.R wrote: »
    We've just sold a 05 156 2.4JTDm (full spec, sat nav, leather etc) with around 240,000km to the driver for €3,000. Only managed to get that amount because he knows the full history of the car.

I'd say you'd be lucky to get €2,500 as a private sale.

great price!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The concensus is to keep it but I have to say Kudos to the OP for buying an Alfa with over 100,000 miles on it, regardless of age. Glad it's kept you happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The general Irish buying public who know very little about cars will walk away from any car with 100k+ miles on the clock, on an Alfa Romeo with 156k miles they will absolutely run.

I'd keep it if you plan on coming home, maybe you could give it to a family member for the duration of your stay abroad, jsut to keep it running? Otherwise I'd say take any serious offer you get for it.

Advertisement