Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting with local Sergeant/Inspector and Superintendent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Abed wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I have my interview with the superintendent tomorrow. did the one with the local sergreant only 10 days ago. does that mean they are accelerating my application as someone suggested on this thread before? or is it normal? how long does it normally take between the superintendent interview and medical?

Also any tips what to wear? is it a formal interview? what to keep in mind? any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Doesn't mean anything, time lines vary greatly between stations.
    Think my medical was about 4-5 months after the interviews.

It's more formal than the other one but not really formal if you know what I mean. Shirt and jeans in my opinion is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Doesn't mean anything, time lines vary greatly between stations.
    Think my medical was about 4-5 months after the interviews.

It's more formal than the other one but not really formal if you know what I mean. Shirt and jeans in my opinion is plenty.

Thanks for the reply Murphy (Cork). do you know by any chance when is the next intake (after the April one)?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

Thanks for the reply Murphy (Cork). do you know by any chance when is the next intake (after the April one)?

Cheers

dont quote me on this but i think its every 2 months could be 3 per intake and all depends on the number of people applying. when i am down in templemore the weekend i will try to find out the dates for the intakes this year maybe someone knows. but its gas the only way of getting info on the GR is on the net like come on if we are the garda reserve which is still a police officer i think a bit more info should be sent out to people instead of just the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭gailgo

hey abed best of luck let us know how it goes i would be very interested to know how it goes

Thanks Paullog that was very helpful. I totally agree that some more transparency re:information is needed when it comes to the reserves. I take it you already made it to Templemore. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

gailgo wrote: »
    you must be back by now , how did it go :o:mad:

Just back half an hour ago (doing other things of course:)). Ok then, it was the best one of all three interviews done so far. It took half an hour all together- including 10 minutes with a Sergeant- They were both extremely friendly. the sergeant asked a few questions in the area of why you want to join? few questions about work and education ...etc.

The Superintendent was a lovely man, very respectful, the kind of person who shows interest in you without being patronising if you know what I mean.

I have to say this interview was less formal, yet more productive than any of the others. He let me speak most of the time with few little questions every now and then. things about previous work experiences, educational background (was quite interested in my Law background:cool:), plans to join the main force ...etc

Finally, he said few good words and that he will recommend my application:D

What stage are you at Gailgo?

Just back half an hour ago (doing other things of course:)). Ok then, it was the best one of all three interviews done so far. It took half an hour all together- including 10 minutes with a Sergeant- They were both extremely friendly. the sergeant asked a few questions in the area of why you want to join? few questions about work and education ...etc.

The Superintendent was a lovely man, very respectful, the kind of person who shows interest in you without being patronising if you know what I mean.

I have to say this interview was less formal, yet more productive than any of the others. He let me speak most of the time with few little questions every now and then. things about previous work experiences, educational background (was quite interested in my Law background:cool:), plans to join the main force ...etc

Finally, he said few good words and that he will recommend my application:D

What stage are you at Gailgo?
    morning ,i am not at any stage i am waiting to hear for my first interview
    i sit here at my desk every day waiting for a e mail to get called for my first one i applied about four weeks ago i really hope it will be soon

morning ,i am not at any stage i am waiting to hear for my first interview
    i sit here at my desk every day waiting for a e mail to get called for my first one i applied about four weeks ago i really hope it will be soon

My advice is to be extremely patient while keeping the GR at the back of your mind. I heard on this thread that some people have been contacted the next day for an interview, for others weeks, months, and for some like myself 2 years. I'm sure it's much quicker these days though.

Best of luck

My advice is to be extremely patient while keeping the GR at the back of your mind. I heard on this thread that some people have been contacted the next day for an interview, for others weeks, months, and for some like myself 2 years. I'm sure it's much quicker these days though.

Best of luck
    ya thats true do they do some sort of a back ground check on you before they call you for first interview

ya thats true do they do some sort of a back ground check on you before they call you for first interview

Officially, there is nothing to indicate that they do. It is all about filling vacancies per region on a roster basis. However (and this is only my own estimiation) , I feel that they do some sort of checks on individual basis. (once again this is my own estimation, and I do not think it applies to everyone)

• Advertisement

Officially, there is nothing to indicate that they do. It is all about filling vacancies per region on a roster basis. However (and this is only my own estimiation) , I feel that they do some sort of checks on individual basis. (once again this is my own estimation, and I do not think it applies to everyone)
    ah it will all be fine touch wood i should have nothing bad to worry about anyway

ah it will all be fine touch wood i should have nothing bad to worry about anyway

I'm sure there is absolutely nothing to worry about. In my case, as I indicated earlier, it took two years from application to 1st interview which made me think that probably some sort of checks have been carried out as I have an ethnic background (having said that I could be completely wrong thinking that way).

I'm sure there is absolutely nothing to worry about. In my case, as I indicated earlier, it took two years from application to 1st interview which made me think that probably some sort of checks have been carried out as I have an ethnic background (having said that I could be completely wrong thinking that way).
    ha ha my back ground should be ok i have a aunt that is a tare away and my family havent talked to her in years (im sure the guards know her quiet well ) cant imagine that will have a affect on me though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi Paul,

I am also from Rush and met the local Sergeant the other day for an interview. I am waiting on the Supers interview now. Who told you you would not be situated in Blabriggan for this. The Sergeant I met presumed I would. I am only living in Rush 2 years though so maybe that is why he thinks Balbriggan is were i would be operating from thats of course if I pass the rest of the stages.
    paulbolg wrote: »
    i am from the balbriggan HQ area and i was told that i wouldnt get this district for obvious reasons so i was wonderin where in north dublin are the reserves bein placed eg blymun, coolock, santry, or is swords still too close to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

Just got word that I have the Superintendent interview next week.....I was told it was a formal interview to last 20-25 minutes.

Now I have read other posters saying that this meeting was actually pretty informal....were you all told that it was a formal interview and then it just turns out to be "a bit of a chat" or do you think that they may have new procedures for the Super interview? Anybody had theirs recently that would like to comment on their experience/how their's went/what sort of questions they were asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

sf94 wrote: »
    Just got word that I have the Superintendent interview next week.....I was told it was a formal interview to last 20-25 minutes.

Now I have read other posters saying that this meeting was actually pretty informal....were you all told that it was a formal interview and then it just turns out to be "a bit of a chat" or do you think that they may have new procedures for the Super interview? Anybody had theirs recently that would like to comment on their experience/how their's went/what sort of questions they were asked?

How long were you waiting, roughly, for this interview (mind my asking)? Yeah I asked something similar awhile back and was told this is the time-frame and it does ease in there to a less formal meeting.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    How long were you waiting, roughly, for this interview (mind my asking)? Yeah I asked something similar awhile back and was told this is the time-frame and it does ease in there to a less formal meeting.

Thanks for the reply. I was waiting about 3 and half weeks from meeting the sergeant to being called for the Super interview.

Have you been waiting long for yours?

Thanks for the reply. I was waiting about 3 and half weeks from meeting the sergeant to being called for the Super interview.

Have you been waiting long for yours?

I handed the form in a fortnight ago so only waiting 3weeks now since passing interview. Does meeting with the Sergeant when handing you form in count? I was in there about 10-12mins with that? or will I meet another sergeant and then the Superintendent do you know?

Next week for yours, you got some good notice there :)

I handed the form in a fortnight ago so only waiting 3weeks now since passing interview. Does meeting with the Sergeant when handing you form in count? I was in there about 10-12mins with that? or will I meet another sergeant and then the Superintendent do you know?

Next week for yours, you got some good notice there :)

Well when I handed in my form I had a very brief chat to the sergeant at the desk and then got a call from the same sergeant about a week later to come in for a proper chat with them (lasted about 20 mins or so) so you may have to do that too......but everybody seems to have a different experience so who knows :D

Yeah guess I've got a bit of time to prepare.....not sure what to expect from it at all though!!

Well when I handed in my form I had a very brief chat to the sergeant at the desk and then got a call from the same sergeant about a week later to come in for a proper chat with them (lasted about 20 mins or so) so you may have to do that too......but everybody seems to have a different experience so who knows :D

Yeah guess I've got a bit of time to prepare.....not sure what to expect from it at all though!!

ah the recruitment processes is quite unique for everyone in terms what what happens at what point. At least yours is moving along though :). Have you met your local Superintendent before?

• Advertisement

ah the recruitment processes is quite unique for everyone in terms what what happens at what point. At least yours is moving along though :). Have you met your local Superintendent before?

No never met him. The only Super I think I've ever met is the guy from the first interview.....and he was a really nice man so I'm hoping the Super next week will be too!!!

No never met him. The only Super I think I've ever met is the lad from the first interview.....and he was a really nice man so I'm hoping the Super next week will be too!!!

Well he/she will have you sussed out in less than a minute I would guess and will defo have their homework done on you and I don't forsee it being in any way stressful or tense.

I met my local Super before and he is genuinely one sound man. I got the impression that he could connect with just about everyone, always had a word for everyone and just seems down-to-earth.

Have you heard of any more Reserve in-takes/training planned for '09?

Well he/she will have you sussed out in less than a minute I would guess and will defo have their homework done on you and I don't forsee it being in any way stressful or tense.

I met my local Super before and he is genuinely one sound man. I got the impression that he could connect with just about everyone, always had a word for everyone and just seems down-to-earth.

Have you heard of any more Reserve in-takes/training planned for '09?

Hopefully so!

No haven't heard about any more intakes (I think I read somewhere before on here that there was supposed to be 4/5 intakes this year??....could have all changed by now I guess). Haven't been looking into it too much at this point though. I'm really just taking it one stage at a time and I'll start thinking about in-takes if I make it that far!!

Have you had your interview with the Super yet - I knew you said it would be sometime this week? How did it go for you if you have done it? I got word of a meeting with another Sergeant.

Have you had your interview with the Super yet - I knew you said it would be sometime this week? How did it go for you if you have done it? I got word of a meeting with another Sergeant.

Yeah, had it this morning actually. To be honest I was a bit nervous about this one. I felt the Sergeant interview didn't go too well so I thought that a bad report may have been sent over.......but I needn't have worried!!

The Super was a really nice man and I'd say I was only in with him for max 15 mins (and the first 5 were spent talking about a place where we have both lived!!). After that just flew through my form and asked a few questions about family e.g. parents/siblings jobs and were they secure in this economic climate etc (very general stuff) and wheter or not I've been in trouble with AGS (I haven't!!) and finally why I wanted to join the Reserves. Then said he'd have no problem recommending me and that was it. Guess its just a matter of waiting it out now.

Yeah, had it this morning actually. To be honest I was a bit nervous about this one. I felt the Sergeant interview didn't go too well so I thought that a bad report may have been sent over.......but I needn't have worried!!

The Super was a really nice man and I'd say I was only in with him for max 15 mins (and the first 5 were spent talking about a place where we have both lived!!). After that just flew through my form and asked a few questions about family e.g. parents/siblings jobs and were they secure in this economic climate etc (very general stuff) and wheter or not I've been in trouble with AGS (I haven't!!) and finally why I wanted to join the Reserves. Then said he'd have no problem recommending me and that was it. Guess its just a matter of waiting it out now.

wow must be nice having that much done already. Thanks for the feedback from your meeting, it's good to know it's more or less the same format as the full-timers.
    The Sergeant I will be meeting I have never met before & I'm not entirely sure why but I'm actually nervous about it. In what way, if you don't mind me asking, did you not feel yours went well with the sergeant? Did the sergeant say whether or not they would recommend you or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 THE PIPER

wow must be nice having that much done already. Thanks for the feedback from your meeting, it's good to know it's more or less the same format as the full-timers.
    The Sergeant I will be meeting I have never met before & I'm not entirely sure why but I'm actually nervous about it. In what way, if you don't mind me asking, did you not feel yours went well with the sergeant? Did the sergeant say whether or not they would recommend you or anything like that?
    +1 I would be interested to know that too,im currently waiting on my sgt and supers interview:confused:

In what way, if you don't mind me asking, did you not feel yours went well with the sergeant? Did the sergeant say whether or not they would recommend you or anything like that?
    THE PIPER wrote: »
    +1 I would be interested to know that too,im currently waiting on my sgt and supers interview:confused:

Sorry didn't mean to scare people:)........I just think it was my fault because I was quite nervous with the sergeant and didn't answer the questions asked as well as I could have. Saying "bad report" probably wasn't the right thing to say.......I just felt I didn't come across great, nothing to do with the Sergeant really just my own natural pessimism... :D!!!!

No there was no mention of a recommendation from the Sergeant; I was just told I'd have to meet the Super next.

Sorry didn't mean to scare people:)........I just think it was my fault because I was quite nervous with the sergeant and didn't answer the questions asked as well as I could have. Saying "bad report" probably wasn't the right thing to say.......I just felt I didn't come across great, nothing to do with the Sergeant really just my own natural pessimism... :D!!!!

No there was no mention of a recommendation from the Sergeant; I was just told I'd have to meet the Super next.

yeah figured as much alright, most people coming out think this way but it still make it any easier though. Did either mention anything about your background checks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 THE PIPER

Phew!!!! IM nervous about meetings,hoping it goes well,dont know anybody at my local station at all:(Presume just go about it the same as the first interview and hope for the best:)

Advertisement