Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AN SEANDUINE

Another piece of advice for anyone starting phase one is not to drink any more than 8 pints on the saturday night as there is a bit of physical activity on the sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Gee Sean dont drink 8 pints the night before,I would hope most dont,are u spaeking from experience?

also I was wondering is there a plan in place for reserves incase they get assaulted whilst on duty or injured to insure them,what if a reserve was injured and could not work for a while?? Would the Garda match the money they would usually get paid???:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

Gee Sean dont drink 8 pints the night before,I would hope most dont,are u spaeking from experience?

I don't think he is, but a few of the lads in our group did. They watched the rugby and then went to the night club afterwards. To say they were a bit white and sick the next day is an understatement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

sorry folks,
    You are asked, when you complete your medical, to go and get three hepatitis B shots staggered over 6 months. Headquarters state they will cover the costs but I sent in my chit for payment in May and as you can see they are not too quick about it. Got it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

I was wondering if anyone knows on P1 do they take into account a 50 year old against a 25 year old's fitness or has everyone to be equal fitness. Has anyone failed on P1?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

If you fon't mind me asking, whats the general age of people applying or in the garda reserve?

Hi,Im 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

If you fon't mind me asking, whats the general age of people applying or in the garda reserve?

If it's any consolation there is a guy 57 in our group.

Gents, no one has answered my question, hope you are not all like that in Court!! My question was, "I was wondering if anyone knows on P1 do they take into account a 50 year old against a 25 year old's fitness or has everyone to be equal fitness. Has anyone failed on P1?"

freddiew wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone knows on P1 do they take into account a 50 year old against a 25 year old's fitness or has everyone to be equal fitness. Has anyone failed on P1?

Everyone in my group where of even age. I don't think it would matter too much as everyone will be in the same boat of uneven fittness. Its not that strenous in P1, but you will be rolling on the floor a few times. To my knowledge no one has failed in P1, theres not really any way to fail. You can fail P2 and possibly P3, but your given the opportunity to repeat anything you failed on. I get the impression they don't want anyone to fail and will either guide you through it or give you every opportunity to pass.

• Advertisement

Gents, no one has answered my question, hope you are not all like that in Court!! My question was, "I was wondering if anyone knows on P1 do they take into account a 50 year old against a 25 year old's fitness or has everyone to be equal fitness. Has anyone failed on P1?"

You bet me to posting there :). Hope my answer helps ?

Hi,my question is unanswered also,maybe nobody knows,but would they sort you out if you were injured on duty,loss of income would be a concern.not compensation just what you were earning??

You bet me to posting there :). Hope my answer helps ?

Thanks Ian that is very helpful.

Hi,my question is unanswered also,maybe nobody knows,but would they sort you out if you were injured on duty,loss of income would be a concern.not compensation just what you were earning??

Hey dude,
    i have no idea but i say nothing is in place yet. I meant 2 bring it up at the interview but totally forgot about it. There's still alot of wholes in the reserve that need to be sorted!

as far as I know there is no insurance coverage.I heard that there is an amount stopped from a regular garda's pay to cover insurance but as we are not paid we can not contribute.

I am in my 50's and found the physical in phase 1 fairly easy,you do the exercises on mats,bare feet, bit of falling around but nothing too strenuous.

Also they supply a bus from Templemore to the hotel in Thurles on Saturday evening so if you do plan on having a few pints on Saturday night,take the bus and leave the car at the college. That way you wont have to worry about driving Sunday morning.Also I would say 8 pints was conservative for some of the guys,as it's definitely a good craic that evening.

pat1187 wrote: »
    I am in my 50's and found the physical in phase 1 fairly easy,you do the exercises on mats,bare feet, bit of falling around but nothing too strenuous.

Also they supply a bus from Templemore to the hotel in Thurles on Saturday evening so if you do plan on having a few pints on Saturday night,take the bus and leave the car at the college. That way you wont have to worry about driving Sunday morning.Also I would say 8 pints was conservative for some of the guys,as it's definitely a good craic that evening.

Hi Pat, that is very helpful, are you in a Dublin Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Phase 1 is only a taster for Phase 3 where you are tested.Pat and I know two who had failed because they were left handed, as the self defence is geared toward right handed people.They were however given a second chance later and passed.You need only to be moderately fit.
    I stand corrected on this one but if you are injured in the line of duty I think you have to sue the state.I think the GRA handles this for the full time members.You would probably go through the PIAB (personal injuries assesment board) as do most things now.

Phase 1 is only a taster for Phase 3 where you are tested.Pat and I know two who had failed because they were left handed, as the self defence is geared toward right handed people.They were however given a second chance later and passed.You need only to be moderately fit.
    I stand corrected on this one but if you are injured in the line of duty I think you have to sue the state.I think the GRA handles this for the full time members.You would probably go through the PIAB (personal injuries assesment board) as do most things now.

Thanks for that, I keep asking anyone in a Dublin Station as I would like to meet face to face to chat about the Reserves and experiences so far. May be this is impossible but appreciate all that is covered here.

freddie,
    no, in Kilkenny. Kilkenny group (4) did our Phase 2 with Waterford also 4. 8 total. someone asked how many were going for next Phase 1, I would like to know also,as they say the average length of stay for a special across the water is 3 years.our group,comprising 2 groups, next Saturday numbers about 70.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

As far as we are aware you are covered if injured while on duty, we brought up the same thing originally, and after a couple of weeks we were told that yes you are covered if injured while on duty.

So have you started Phaes 2 Sean??

So Ian,
    Have ye Started Phase two yet?

So Ian,
    Have ye Started Phase two yet?

Yep. About half way through it at the moment. We all have an exam / test on the legal studies (P2) in about three weeks before we go back for P3.

Ian, tell me what happens at P1 which we are going to 3rd November

Yep. About half way through it at the moment. We all have an exam / test on the legal studies (P2) in about three weeks before we go back for P3.

You started phase 1 back in october? yeah, does that mean you must go to Templemore every week for phase 2 as your half way through it already

You started phase 1 back in october? yeah, does that mean you must go to Templemore every week for phase 2 as your half way through it already

No thank god they changed that procedure. P2 is down now in a regional training centre within or close to your district, so no long trips to Tipperary every weekend. You still do long hours in P2 though, but locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AN SEANDUINE

YEP along with IAN i am in phase 2 and have about 20 hours of my 56 hours done our trainer is good craic as are most of the lads down at the station.I am also currently practising my stout drinking skills so i can keep up with the cork lads on the saturday night of phase 3.

What should you wear to phase 1,

• Advertisement

M, you should have got an email this morning, which read:

"Please note, all candidates who are currently or were at the time of application a member of the Reserve Defence Force should be in possession on the morning of the 3rd of November of a letter of discharge from their commanding officer.

Picture I.D. is required on arrival at College. Dress code on the day will be smart – casual, however please bring a tracksuit and trainers with you also. You should also bring an overnight bag as accommodation for Saturday night will be provided." etc

Advertisement