Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

What should you wear to phase 1,

I said this before, on phase 1,don't be rushed during the uniform fitting,
    I ended up with shirts that were too small ie.uncomfortable,and a stab vest that was also too small,so take you time and don't be rushed.When you end up dressed in the final uniform,including baton,belt stab vest, jacket (with fleece) and yellow fluorescent jacket, its important that you feel comfortable. You will have to wear it, possibly, for 8 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

freddiew wrote: »
    M, you should have got an email this morning, which read:

"Please note, all candidates who are currently or were at the time of application a member of the Reserve Defence Force should be in possession on the morning of the 3rd of November of a letter of discharge from their commanding officer.

Picture I.D. is required on arrival at College. Dress code on the day will be smart – casual, however please bring a tracksuit and trainers with you also. You should also bring an overnight bag as accommodation for Saturday night will be provided." etc

Yeah just saw the e-mail. Thanks anyway

For any1 past phase 1, and was a member of the RDF, is it a big deal if you dont have the discharge papers when you go up for the weekend??
    I signed the paper work last week, but im still waiting for it to come in post

pat1187 wrote: »
    I said this before, on phase 1,don't be rushed during the uniform fitting,
    I ended up with shirts that were too small ie.uncomfortable,and a stab vest that was also too small,so take you time and don't be rushed.When you end up dressed in the final uniform,including baton,belt stab vest, jacket (with fleece) and yellow fluorescent jacket, its important that you feel comfortable. You will have to wear it, possibly, for 8 hours.

Did you get to change your uniform??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

don't be rushed during the uniform fitting......
    so take you time and don't be rushed.When you end up dressed in the final uniform,including baton,belt stab vest, jacket (with fleece) and yellow fluorescent jacket, its important that you feel comfortable. You will have to wear it, possibly, for 8 hours.

Yeah I agree. The thing is they have two lads who have come down from Dublin or somewhere and obviously they had to come down early on a Saturday and weekend, so they're not exactly happy (can you blame them). I was one of the ones measured last and had a good bit of time to try everything on (for example he said a Medium Jacket, but I prefered the Large), but some of the guys who went in first said that they were rushed and the lads were a bit grumpy (early mornings).

You arrive at 9.30 and due to timetable have only about one hour or thereabouts to get measured, so it takes time and they try and get it done quickly, there will be about 25 of you afterall. I agree with Pat, take your time as much as possible. Remember that you will be wearing this for a long period of time, either on patrol in a town or even worse running after someone, so make sure you are comfortable in your fitting. That being said, they do have uniform inspection in P3 were they look at you in the uniform and say that they can change anything that doesn't look right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Hi there,

Only seen this thread here today. Had a read through of the majority of them. How did everyone who applied get on? Have you all been deployed to stations etc. How did you find the process.
    Am a reserve myself based in Dublin, am raging I only found this thread today

Hi Dee,

Welcome to the board. The majority of people here are either applying, in process and waiting or like myself in training. I'am currently half way through P2 at the minute and have my exam in about three weeks before P3 at the end of november so any wise words of wisdom you can impart to us all would be great.

How long have you been stationed in Dublin and how are you getting on ? What sort of things / incidents have you encountered (if you can tell us),what sort of hours do you work ? Just general question re experience to date etc...

Ah cool so your nearly there. Have you found out where you going to be stationed?
    I passed out last December, with the pilot set (with Robbie) It's great fun How is everyone finding it etc...? Any questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Dee5 wrote: »
    Ah cool so your nearly there. Have you found out where you going to be stationed?
    I passed out last December, with the pilot set (with Robbie) It's great fun How is everyone finding it etc...? Any questions just ask

Hi Dee, Welcome! I am just going down to Templemore for P1 on Saturday morning, passed my Medical last Wednesday. I will be stationed in Pearse Street, where are you? and how do the full timers accept the Reserves?

I was just told i can't go up saturday unless i bring my discharge papers from the RDF.. i signed the paper work but im still waiting for my copy.
    What a joke!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Hi Dee5:)

I'm currently going through the recruitment process.

do reserves have to get stuck in where there's public order offences/drunkeness/violence going on, or are they kept back at a safe distance, monitoring CCTV etc?

murph,

yes, you can sort out your uniform but it can take for ages,the upside is I now have four shirts, albeit two small ones.

and lehanemore, as to public order, cannon fodder, but great craic,nothing like a uniform to stop a fight.

Ah no you just have to get stuck in if there is a row. Plus when all the full timers are lashing in it's hard to just stand there and watch. However dont go running into anything without making sure your covered ie make sure your not on your own your partner could be calling for back then go in while back up is on the way.
    Also we canott arrest for public disorder etc so it gets kinda messy working the overnight shift.
    We hopefully will have some sort of powers under PD soon.I'm based at the mo in the city centre.
    We have been moved to units now and I have been put on ComPol. First duty properly as part of the CP unit this weekend.
    Am a reservist since Dec last year so nearly a year under my belt now. How time flies when your having fun.

Ah no you just have to get stuck in if there is a row. Plus when all the full timers are lashing in it's hard to just stand there and watch. However dont go running into anything without making sure your covered ie make sure your not on your own your partner could be calling for back then go in while back up is on the way.
    Also we canott arrest for public disorder etc so it gets kinda messy working the overnight shift.
    We hopefully will have some sort of powers under PD soon.I'm based at the mo in the city centre.
    We have been moved to units now and I have been put on ComPol. First duty properly as part of the CP unit this weekend.
    Am a reservist since Dec last year so nearly a year under my belt now. How time flies when your having fun.

Hi, I understood that Reservists have Powers of Arrest? Maybe it's a local decision for this not to happen and the full time do it to save the Reservist getting time off their normal job to appear in Court. I understood this is what the Super.told me. I will be attached to Pearse Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Pat,
    I was just wondering have you had any word as to when we are to receive our numbered Epaulets? I understand we cannot go out on duty without them even though some have ventured out with just the embroidered GR in the recent past.
    In relation to the power of arrest Reserves do have it under section 4 of the Criminal Justice act for offences that carry a penalty of 5 years or more bla bla.But Dee is right we don't have any Public Order Powers as of yet.But I would not be getting too carried away with arrresting people at this stage.That advice came from full time Gardai.Remember you dont have to arrest people to appear in Court.A simple traffic offence could necessitate your attendance.

Pat,
    I was just wondering have you had any word as to when we are to receive our numbered Epaulets? I understand we cannot go out on duty without them even though some have ventured out with just the embroidered GR in the recent past.
    In relation to the power of arrest Reserves do have it under section 4 of the Criminal Justice act for offences that carry a penalty of 5 years or more bla bla.But Dee is right we don't have any Public Order Powers as of yet.But I would not be getting too carried away with arrresting people at this stage.That advice came from full time Gardai.Remember you dont have to arrest people to appear in Court.A simple traffic offence could necessitate your attendance.

K,
    I have not gotten them yet but I spent 6 hours on a barrier at county
    final last Sunday wearing only the plain ones that came with the jacket. Wore them on the fluorescent coat.

K,
    I have not gotten them yet but I spent 6 hours on a barrier at county
    final last Sunday wearing only the plain ones that came with the jacket. Wore them on the fluorescent coat.

Thats great Pat .Have you been assigned to a unit yet? I must ring in and get my units roster so I can make a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

freddiew wrote: »
    and how do the full timers accept the Reserves?

for those of you already out on the beat, I would also like to echo the above question:rolleyes:

Thats great Pat .Have you been assigned to a unit yet? I must ring in and get my units roster so I can make a start.

K,
    regular Station Sergent is on holidays and current one did not jump at unit idea when I suggested it. I am on for opening of new shopping center next Wednesday so this duty and my last one would not have made any difference if I had had a unit or not. I assume it will happen when Sergent gets back.
    I would think that in order to fill in the competency forms, the unit Sergent would need to be familiar with them and me.How are they going with you as it seems I heard M. had started filling in hers during phase 4? Didn't get a chance to chat with you,L, or S at the attestation so hope B's get together goes ahead.

K,
    regular Station Sergent is on holidays and current one did not jump at unit idea when I suggested it. I am on for opening of new shopping center next Wednesday so this duty and my last one would not have made any difference if I had had a unit or not. I assume it will happen when Sergent gets back.
    I would think that in order to fill in the competency forms, the unit Sergent would need to be familiar with them and me.How are they going with you as it seems I heard M. had started filling in hers during phase 4? Didn't get a chance to chat with you,L, or S at the attestation so hope B's get together goes ahead.

Pat I spoke to Albert about those competency forms during the summer and he said we would need to discuss them further in relation to what should go into them and so was to set them aside.Heard nothing further so I haven't filled in any.You seem to be getting lots of experience anyway.As I said I am tied to my unit and hope to go out in a forthnight or so as times do not suit at the minute.Hope B gets night organised soon. I kept RTE news tape from passing out Cermony I must say ye looked mighty fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

'most' full timers are ok but i'd say that a couple of the younger gardai might have a slight problem with it. especially since our number of hours training is a lot less than theirs. could be their attitude with anyone though. some people are hard to work out.
    Others can't understand why anybody would want to do their job for free. Think we're mad! (maybe we are?)

wonka wrote: »
    'most' full timers are ok but i'd say that a couple of the younger gardai might have a slight problem with it. especially since our number of hours training is a lot less than theirs. could be their attitude with anyone though. some people are hard to work out.
    Others can't understand why anybody would want to do their job for free. Think we're mad! (maybe we are?)[/QUOT

glad to hear I'm not the only one to have come up against that.

Pat I spoke to Albert about those competency forms during the summer and he said we would need to discuss them further in relation to what should go into them and so was to set them aside.Heard nothing further so I haven't filled in any.You seem to be getting lots of experience anyway.As I said I am tied to my unit and hope to go out in a forthnight or so as times do not suit at the minute.Hope B gets night organised soon. I kept RTE news tape from passing out Cermony I must say ye looked mighty fine.

K,
    I scanned all of them and use Sun micro systems ''open office'' paint
    program to type and print them off. I would like to fill one in each duty if for no other reason than self criticism. I find it would be easy to drift into a situation where you become an observer and not be an active participant. If I am going to wear the uniform I should learn competency, ie what would happed if on the way to duty I was to come on a car accident and got out in uniform,and suddenly found people looking to me for guidance, I feel it's important I get up to a competent level asap.

I was just told i can't go up saturday unless i bring my discharge papers from the RDF.. i signed the paper work but im still waiting for my copy.
    What a joke!!

C, will you be there tomorrow. S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 in control

wonka wrote: »
    Others can't understand why anybody would want to do their job for free. Think we're mad! (maybe we are?)

joined the gr less than a year ago and my experiences are generally very good. most full time members are fine if a bit suprised that you will do a sometimes difficult job for no pay. A lot of how you get on depends on you as you have to work on getting accepted in your unit . Once they see you are ok and will get stuck in you will be fine.My advice to new members is to listen , learn and watch. Sometimes you would deal with situations in a different way but it is best in the first few months to keep your opinions to yourself. Try and work with the same unit all the time as you will be accepted a lot easier than if you move between units.Hope this is of some help to those thinking of coming on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

in control wrote: »
    joined the gr less than a year ago and my experiences are generally very good. most full time members are fine if a bit suprised that you will do a sometimes difficult job for no pay. A lot of how you get on depends on you as you have to work on getting accepted in your unit . Once they see you are ok and will get stuck in you will be fine.My advice to new members is to listen , learn and watch. Sometimes you would deal with situations in a different way but it is best in the first few months to keep your opinions to yourself. Try and work with the same unit all the time as you will be accepted a lot easier than if you move between units.Hope this is of some help to those thinking of coming on board.

Yep! I agree "in control"

The very best lesson for all new Reservists is to watch, listen and learn. I joined with the original phase and it has been an eye opener both on the street and indeed, following this thread as to how opinions have changed both from the public and the Guards you are working with. At this stage I have more respect for what the general beats have to deal with on a day to day basis than I had before I joined. I have had no problems from the Regulars at any stage, I have had many questions and a lot of curiousity but no negative feed back from a single member.

So, how did all the new P1 trainees get on this weekend ?

You will be sore for tomorrow.

Well, we all turned up for Phase 1 training on Saturday morning, it was all very professional and nice Lecture Theatre's, Staff etc The food is also very good. We had our measurements taken for our uniforms, we had Lectures, we did some Role Play & Self Defense Classes. This is the only area I would feel I should brush up on, get fitter etc. Any ideas how to get ready fitness wise for Phase 3, would be appreciated. Anyone who has just done Stage 3 or the Exams after Stage 2 please apply !!

Hi,
    I distinctly remember being told during one of the lectures, in phase one, where the lecturer
    said that he could see being a reserve as prerequisite for joining the regular force somewhere down the line.
    Since phase 1 two of our group have been given the go ahead for full time membership,and I know another couple who are hoping that being a reserve helps them.

• Advertisement

During Phase 1 during the weekend, they were saying another Reserve done the same thing a couple of months ago, however the reservist was told not to arrest the person involved by the full time guard but done it anyway. The matter is still being looked in 2.

Advertisement