Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Poddle Flood around early 80s

Options
  • 18-06-2009 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

The River Poddle from Tallaght into the Liffey through Kimmage burst its banks and caused pretty bad flooding around the late 70s, early 80s. I'm looking for some info or personal accounts on it or even news articles if you have any. Does anyone remember it happening ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Poddle

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Looks like that flood would've been maybe later into the 80s than I thought. I didn't realise it had such an important role actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Not sure about the river Poddle but the river Dodder flooded quite badly in the mid 80's. I think it was around the time of the hurricane ?

That is hilaiious - they have an american saying 'In Eye-or-Land' then they subtitle an Irish person speaking english.

• Advertisement

Yep. The Americans aren't very good with regional accents from over this side. I believe Trainspotting had subtitles specifically for the American release.

Anyway, yeah . River Poddle, pretty damn important to Dublin eh ? black pool/lake and all that. I'd love to be able to walk through the tunnels like in the two videos.

Does anyone have any more information on the attempted break in of the bank ? Which bank was it ? Surely it wasn't the central bank as the river wouldn't flow that way I don't think. The only one I can think of would be the AIB on Dame St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Thats gas, never heard of the river Poddle before

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The flooding was almost certainly caused by Hurricane Charley (or Charlie as it was called here in honour of CJH).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Charley_(1986)#Europe

While there was little wind the storm dumped 8 inches of rain in the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains and half that amount in the City in just 12 hours. The Dargle burst its banks and caused serious flooding in Bray; the Dodder flooded Ballsbridge - so it is probable the Poddle flooded as well. Numerous bridges were washed away in County Wicklow.

It happened in August 1986.

And I see that the question has already been answered!

Thanks Bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

As far as I can recall the front gardens of some houses on Kimmage Road Lower were washed away. The Poddle is culverted under the gardens and the houses are on the left citybound after Mount Argus Church.

The junction of Dean Street / St Patricks Street also collapsed where the water pressure burst the culvert up to street level.

• Advertisement

Yeah there's some footage of the gardens that sunk in the RTE doc I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gillisn

hi, does anybody know if the cottages on clonard road in kimmage have ever flooded? If so when? Does anybody have any history of where in poddle park has flooded in the past? I am specifically looking at buying 606 poddle park and am trying to make an informed decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wat Tyler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h34YQRhDQPI

No mention of where on Poddle park it is but still,it doesnt look too promising.

Thanks. It might be the same street, I would imagine there are pockets that wouldn flood but determining where they are is the next thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Have a look here for more information

http://www.floodmaps.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I own a house across the way in Brookfield Green (though I don't live there any more) but when I lived there the area that flooded was usually from Ravensdale Drive (from the bridge over the Poddle near KCR Builders Providers) over to the first dozen or so houses on the right hand side of Poddle Park Road.

Thanks for all the responses, really useful for me.:)

Advertisement