Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering

Options
  • 18-06-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

hi,
    just wondering what age would be considered too old to neuter a male dog.

would 14 be too risky with anastetic?

i am considering it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Only your vet can make that call, I'd advise you to speak to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

Toulouse wrote: »
    Only your vet can make that call, I'd advise you to speak to them.

will do, thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Why have you decided to neuter him now? Is it for health or behavioural reasons?
    Many 14 year old dogs have uneventful anaesthetics all the time, and male dog neutering is a very simple procedure. Make sure that you have a full blood panel done before he's administered any anaesthetic drugs to check his liver / kidney function and his overall systemic health as this is important for the elimination and metabolisation of all anaesthetic drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    Why have you decided to neuter him now? Is it for health or behavioural reasons?
    Many 14 year old dogs have uneventful anaesthetics all the time, and male dog neutering is a very simple procedure. Make sure that you have a full blood panel done before he's administered any anaesthetic drugs to check his liver / kidney function and his overall systemic health as this is important for the elimination and metabolisation of all anaesthetic drugs.

behaviour reasons..
    he is on vivitonin 50 (for his dementia) and thyroxyl for his thyroid.
    id like to get him done but i dont know....
    he is getting agressive to other male dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I don't think that getting him castrated at 14 will really make much of a difference in his behaviour at this stage. Perhaps there's a physical reason for his aggression? Is it all male dogs he's getting aggressive with or just a few, i.e. the other dogs at home?
    You say he's on Vivitonin already, his aggression may be symptomatic of the aging process of his brain, he may be getting confused, or he could be in pain (arthritis etc), hence feeling more defensive, particularly if he's only showing signs of aggression now.
    His eyesight could be deteriorating, he could be becoming aggressive as a result of confusion and disorientation. There are all things that you should take into consideration.
    While I would usually advocate the castration of male dogs, I just don't think that castrating him at this late stage will have much impact on his behaviour. I think you should get him thoroughly checked over for other causes of aggression before putting him through what could ultimately be an unnecessary, ineffective and risky procedure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement