Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork stir fry?

Options
  • 18-06-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Okay, just found a rake of frozen pork in the freezer from a roast I did ooh back in April I'd say. I need to use it asap. I'm thinking stir fry this weekend. I was planning on doing a chicken one anyway, so substituting chicken for pork isn't too much of a hassle, but

1. My recipe calls for the (chicken) to be added first, then the veg etc. Since the pork is already cooked, I'm thinking, do the veg as normal, then just pop in the pork just long enough to warm it through, then the sauce, noodles etc. Does that sound about right?

2. There's 3 portions ready to go. Could I defrost and use all 3 portions in the stir fry, then divide the result up into 3 meals and re-freeze? I know you shouldn't refreeze thawed meat unless it's been cooked, but is there any reason you shouldn't refreeze thawed cooked and re-cooked meat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What I like to do with cooked pork for a stirfry is to shred it into very fine strips and fry it until crispy in the wok and then keep it hot until you add it to the veg at the end.

I fry it with a little sesame oil.

Once the meat has been well handled well (defrost in the fridge, heat up fully - the frying will do this - and cool and refreeze quickly), I'd have no problem refreezing it.

I'm sure some people here will disagree with me:rolleyes:

Preserved black beans, available from any Asian shop, seriously improve any Chinese stirfry. Also a dash of dry sherry or rice wine and, of course, garlic, ginger, spring onion and chilli.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/KIERAN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/IMG]10172Large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Depending on the cut, I'd be inclined to flash fry the meat first in a very hot wok - get that carmelised finished to the fatty bits in the pork. Then take out of the pan, cook veggies as normal and add the reheated meat at the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

corblimey wrote: »
    2. There's 3 portions ready to go. Could I defrost and use all 3 portions in the stir fry, then divide the result up into 3 meals and re-freeze? I know you shouldn't refreeze thawed meat unless it's been cooked, but is there any reason you shouldn't refreeze thawed cooked and re-cooked meat?

Do you need to get rid of a load of veg or something? I'd not bother. Take 1 portion out now and if you're looking to use veg up you can make 2 portions of stir fry veg (to freeze) so that next time all you need to do is take out the pork and a portion of the veg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You could slice the pork thinly and stir-fry with veg, then throw this on and simmer - it's really good :)

Char Siu Sauce

4 tablespoons of light soy sauce
    4 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
    3 tablespoons ketchup
    3 tablespoons honey
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
    A quarter pint of chicken stock

I don't think there'd be any danger in re-freezing it but the texture would probably suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

irish_goat wrote: »
    Do you need to get rid of a load of veg or something? I'd not bother.

Yeah, after posting (and not before like what would be sensible) I googled for freezer times for pork and anything up to 8 months appears to be okay, so I'm not in as mad a rush as I thought I was.

I'll try the old flash fry to carmelize it thing tonight, see how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What I like to do with cooked pork for a stirfry is to shred it into very fine strips and fry it until crispy in the wok and then keep it hot until you add it to the veg at the end.

I fry it with a little sesame oil.
    Minder wrote: »
    Depending on the cut, I'd be inclined to flash fry the meat first in a very hot wok - get that carmelised finished to the fatty bits in the pork. Then take out of the pan, cook veggies as normal and add the reheated meat at the end.

Now there's a good idea:rolleyes:

Advertisement